NFL 2017 Offseason - Where does Romo go?

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Clock's ticking for Kirk Cousins, Redskins: Why deal remains long shot

I know this isn't exactly a surprise but man is Snyder a shit owner. I'm just glad my team is a regular shit team that seems to be moving up. No matter how well the Skins do, they still have a retard with too much power running the franchise. How do you fuck up the most important position in the game with a talented option just sitting there? Just blows my mind and I'm used to his stupidity by now. He just continues to up his game. Mad respect??

Actually...Snyder is the only reason there are ANY positive feelings about reaching a long term deal. He personally reached out to Cousins and his camp to say they wanted him here, etc. All sorts of rumors about where the sides are apart on for the contract, from being 3-5 million a year off in salary to a big gap in the guaranteed money (read rumor that Cousins wanted $90 mil guaranteed on the long term deal). For my money, the fault lies in the power struggle that occurred with Bruce and former GMSM...but there are also a lot of talk about how many in the Skins front office don't see Cousins as a top 5-10 guy, more a top 15 guy, and don't want to pay him quite that much. His numbers the last 2 years say top 10, but I hear around the league most share the same view as Skins front office that his numbers are better than he is overall.

Personally I still say pay him, try to save as much $$ as you can, but fact is if you don't have a top half of the league guy (top 15), you're not going anywhere. If he bolts for San Fran and Kyle Shanahan next year, we're back to square one, despite the decent overhaul the roster has seen in the last few years.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Sophomore slumps are up there with "momentum", "hot hand", and other such tropes that don't actually exist.

• 1Cutler

Merrith

All the "best ever" by position lists on nfl.com are getting a lot of commentary from current and former players. Was tipped off on them by friend who was bitter about Ed Reed being ranked 4th best safety ever, and Ray Lewis being ranked 8th best LB (Ravens fan).

• 1Solidarity

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Actually...Snyder is the only reason there are ANY positive feelings about reaching a long term deal. He personally reached out to Cousins and his camp to say they wanted him here, etc. All sorts of rumors about where the sides are apart on for the contract, from being 3-5 million a year off in salary to a big gap in the guaranteed money (read rumor that Cousins wanted $90 mil guaranteed on the long term deal). For my money, the fault lies in the power struggle that occurred with Bruce and former GMSM...but there are also a lot of talk about how many in the Skins front office don't see Cousins as a top 5-10 guy, more a top 15 guy, and don't want to pay him quite that much. His numbers the last 2 years say top 10, but I hear around the league most share the same view as Skins front office that his numbers are better than he is overall.

Personally I still say pay him, try to save as much $$ as you can, but fact is if you don't have a top half of the league guy (top 15), you're not going anywhere. If he bolts for San Fran and Kyle Shanahan next year, we're back to square one, despite the decent overhaul the roster has seen in the last few years.
They are going to have to pay him 20+m a year. Frankly with how they have fucked him around the last couple years i hope he walks.

Merrith

They are going to have to pay him 20+m a year. Frankly with how they have fucked him around the last couple years i hope he walks.

Supposedly the last offer we had for him was for $20M a year over 5 or 6 years...but I think the total guaranteed money was only 40-50m. Cousins' camp wants the per year to be around at least what he's making on the tag this year ($23.9m if I'm not mistaken). I hope they just pony up in these last couple days to get the deal done.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
The best part will be when Cousins leaves, continues to have very good seasons, then Snyder overpays for the next Redskins QB that shows some promise so as not to repeat his mistake, only for that QB to be the one that crashes back to reality and starts sucking, causing a huge cap drain. This is your destiny, Redskins fans.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Merrith

The best part will be when Cousins leaves, continues to have very good seasons, then Snyder overpays for the next Redskins QB that shows some promise so as not to repeat his mistake, only for that QB to be the one that crashes back to reality and starts sucking, causing a huge cap drain. This is your destiny, Redskins fans.

I think Cousins has benefited from his situation quite a bit. Still think he's top half of the league as a starter, but I don't think he's shown he's a top 10 guy yet. For all our problems, Skins O line is very good, especially in pass protection, and he's had great weapons to throw to.

Although everything you describe does sound like our destiny. But still...he might have that contract already had he not blown that Week 17 game against the Giants with the late pick.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
It will be interesting to see how he does this year. He lost his top 2 targets in Garcon and Jackson, so it wouldn't be all that surprising to see him regress

Merrith

It will be interesting to see how he does this year. He lost his top 2 targets in Garcon and Jackson, so it wouldn't be all that surprising to see him regress

People keep pointing out we lost two 1,000 yard receivers (first time ever in free agency for a team), but we added one in Pryor, our first round pick from last year is healthy this year (Docton), and still have Jordan Reed and Crowder (who had 850 yards as 4th option behind Garcon/Jackson/Reed). Honestly I don't see a lot of regression, and one spot that we were not good last year (red zone O) we should be better adding to big targets in Pryor and Doctson.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I think Cousins has benefited from his situation quite a bit. Still think he's top half of the league as a starter, but I don't think he's shown he's a top 10 guy yet. For all our problems, Skins O line is very good, especially in pass protection, and he's had great weapons to throw to.

Although everything you describe does sound like our destiny. But still...he might have that contract already had he not blown that Week 17 game against the Giants with the late pick.
If you guys would have signed him the year before like you should have you would have gotten him cheaper and not be in this situation. Only the Redskins bock at a top 15 QB because hes not Tom Brady. Better just let him go because you're guaranteed to get a top 5 replacement instead. Laughs.

Fadaar

That guy
If you guys would have signed him the year before like you should have you would have gotten him cheaper and not be in this situation. Only the Redskins bock at a top 15 QB because hes not Tom Brady. Better just let him go because you're guaranteed to get a top 5 replacement instead. Laughs.

*balk

• 1Worf

uncognito

Trakanon Raider
I do not expect Kirk to regress, but the Redskins FO seems to keep expecting him to.

I'm fine with making him the top paid QB in the league even if he is only top 15 in ability, It's the price of expecting him to regress and being wrong.

Watching the Skins offense last year was so much fun, I don't want to lose that. Even tho I still have PTSD from that Giants Int.

Merrith

Trust me, there's all sorts of rumors that former GMSM wanted to sign him to a deal somewhere in the 3-5 year range which would have been a lot cheaper. There's other rumors that Cousins might not want to sign with us right now b/c he wants to see how the new front office functions for a year. The draft was encouraging, so there's that I guess. But who knows how much of that was just following any blueprint GMSM had already put together before they fired him.

Whatever the story, the concrete stuff is that Snyder's involvement in communicating directly more with Cousins and his camp have been the major positive factor to the whole situation right now.

Merrith

I do not expect Kirk to regress, but the Redskins FO seems to keep expecting him to.

I'm fine with making him the top paid QB in the league even if he is only top 15 in ability, It's the price of expecting him to regress and being wrong.

Watching the Skins offense last year was so much fun, I don't want to lose that. Even tho I still have PTSD from that Giants Int.

Watching the red zone efficiency and the running game was slightly less fun...but I expect both to improve this year.

I'm find with him getting the temporary title of highest paid (because really, that number is going to keep going up as any of the top 15 come up for new deals). Rodgers' next deal is going to blow everything previous out of the water I think.