NFL 2019 Season: It's Tricky!

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yea, it's fair to say that. He is probably a hall of Famer, he isnt mediocre, but the results he produces are.

Sterling

El Presidente
Yea, it's fair to say that. He is probably a hall of Famer, he isnt mediocre, but the results he produces are.
Chargers have definitely had some underwhelming seasons. But team sport and all that. He's definitely had more shit the bed games than you'd have liked to see though, and that's certainly on him.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Vanderhoof

Trakanon Raider
I agree, most teams would love to have Rivers and the stability he provided for 15 years. I think he deserves to be in the HoF. He's a solid B+ player.

• 1Truth!

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I'd put him in the hall but I could see it going the other way and not getting in. Certainly not his first couple times on the block would be my guess.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
He's definitely one of the best QBs to never win a SB and better than some of the QBs who got in.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
His postseason stats are very lackluster.

His career playoff record is 3-4.
He has never played in a Super Bowl.
His career playoff stats are as follows:
Game 1 (Loss, 24-21 vs. New England): 14-32, 230 YD, 0 TD, 1 INT.
Game 2 (Win, 17-6 vs. Tennessee): 19-30, 292 YD, 1TD, 1 INT.
Game 3 (Win, 28-24 vs. Indianapolis): 14-19, 264 YD, 3 TD, 1 INT.
Game 4 (Loss, 21-12 vs. New England): 19-37, 211 YD, 0 TD, 2 INT.
Game 5 (Win, 23-17 vs. Indianapolis): 20-36, 217 YD, 0 TD, 1 INT.
Game 6 (Loss, 35-24 vs. Pittsburgh): 21-35, 308 YD, 3 TD, 1 INT.
Game 7 (Loss, 17-14 vs. NYJ): 27-40, 298 YD, 1 TD, 2 INT.

It's a team game but his performances don't stack up in the postseason. That's not stats I put as a best QB to not win a superbowl

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
To be fair his best team he got an ACL(if i recall) injury during the championship game.

Sterling

El Presidente
I mean the best QB to not win a SB is Marino. I don't think you'd find many people that would argue that. That said Rivers has to be pretty far up the list.

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
I agree, most teams would love to have Rivers and the stability he provided for 15 years. I think he deserves to be in the HoF. He's a solid B+ player.

a B+ player should not even be considered to be in HoF. HoF should be a bastion of excellence where you celebrate the careers of exceptional players who really stood out but HoF has become so enfeebled because they let anyone with half decent career in.

• 2Like
  • 1Cutler
Reactions: 2 users

Sterling

El Presidente
a B+ player should not even be considered to be in HoF. HoF should be a bastion of excellence where you celebrate the careers of exceptional players who really stood out but HoF has become so enfeebled because they let anyone with half decent career in.
Except that's never been what it is. And being a B+ player for 15 years is a thing. That makes it more like an A- career. He's better than many players that are in the HoF and it's still not nearly as bad as the Basketball HoF. Joe Dumars is in that one.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Uber Uberest

rdr^2
<Bronze Donator>
He'll end with 60k+ yards, 400 TDs, and a 95 passer rating. 8 pro bowls. Dude's going to be in the HoF. So being top ~ 15 to 20 or so all time is mediocre?

If he gets in the Hall of Fame what is the sense in having a Hall of Fame. Mine as well let in Stafford, Eli, and Romo. Guys that were never the best at their position in any season but ended up throwing the all a lot in a bunch of games that meant nothing.

To be fair his best team he got an ACL(if i recall) injury during the championship game.

His best team was that 14-2 team that lost at home to the Patriots. Total choke job. 2003 or 2004 I believe.

• 1Cutler

Sterling

El Presidente
If he gets in the Hall of Fame what is the sense in having a Hall of Fame. Mine as well let in Stafford, Eli, and Romo. Guys that were never the best at their position in any season but ended up throwing the all a lot in a bunch of games that meant nothing.

His best team was that 14-2 team that lost at home to the Patriots. Total choke job. 2003 or 2004 I believe.
He's better than Stafford and Eli. Romo didn't have the longevity to get in. There's a line somewhere, I just think Rivers is probably just over it. There's plenty of dudes in the HoF that were real good but never the best at their position for a single season. Longevity matters.

Uber Uberest

rdr^2
<Bronze Donator>
He's better than Stafford and Eli. Romo didn't have the longevity to get in. There's a line somewhere, I just think Rivers is probably just over it. There's plenty of dudes in the HoF that were real good but never the best at their position for a single season. Longevity matters.

Like who? I’m genuinely curious who you believe was voted in the football hall of fame that wasn’t the best at their position for a season. This isn’t like the baseball Jall of Fame where everyone gets in. Longevity is irrelevant, so now Jeff Fisher is a hall of fame coach? Give me a break it’s the Hall of Fame. Be the best at your position, and at the very least as a quarterback make it to a Super Bowl, just play in one.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm

2006. The game where Rivers had the Chargers up 21-13 and Brady and the Pats were facing 4th down from the Charger 41 with 6:25 to go. Brady throws a pick...which Marlon McCree FUMBLES the ball back to the Patriots during the return, giving them a fresh set of downs. Pats score TD and 2 point to tie it 21-21, later take a 3 point lead on late field goal. Rivers was able to get Chargers into long field goal range, but Nate Kaeding missed kick which would have forced OT.

Kaeding was a glorious 8 of 15 on field goals in the playoffs btw. Rivers had another playoff loss to the Jets, 17-14, in which Kaeding went 0 for 3 that day.

• 1Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>

That was 2006. And in 2007 they played them in the AFC championship game. Rivers had a torn ACL. Brady even commented on how increadible it was he played and admired him. LT had an MCL sprain and missed a bunch of the game as well.

Also Eli is getting in for shitting down the Patriots throats twice.

• 1Like

Merrith

Like who? I’m genuinely curious who you believe was voted in the football hall of fame that wasn’t the best at their position for a season. This isn’t like the baseball Jall of Fame where everyone gets in. Longevity is irrelevant, so now Jeff Fisher is a hall of fame coach? Give me a break it’s the Hall of Fame. Be the best at your position, and at the very least as a quarterback make it to a Super Bowl, just play in one.

Jerome Bettis never led the league in rushing, in the Hall of Fame. Andre Reed never led in any receiving category. Hall of Fame.

• 1Like

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
That was 2006. And in 2007 they played them in the AFC championship game. Rivers had a torn ACL. Brady even commented on how increadible it was he played and admired him. LT had an MCL sprain and missed a bunch of the game as well.

Also Eli is getting in for shitting down the Patriots throats twice.

• 1Like

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Jerome Bettis never led the league in rushing, in the Hall of Fame. Andre Reed never led in any receiving category. Hall of Fame.

Both of them have postseason success, especially Reed.

In his four Super Bowls, Reed recorded 27 receptions, the second most total career Super Bowl receptions in NFL history (behind Rice's 33). His 323 total Super Bowl receiving yards are the third most in Super Bowl history (behind only Rice's 604 yards and Lynn Swann's 364).

Merrith

Both of them have postseason success, especially Reed.

Agreed, I wasn't disputing whether they should be in, just countering Uber's claim that you had to be the best at your position for at least 1 season to be in the Hall of Fame.

Also Reed should have some Super Bowl records, going 4 years in a row to get stomped by the NFC. He's still great overall, but yeah.

• 1Like