NFL 2019 Season: It's Tricky!

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Sure bro. And in 1976 America could say we had been a nation for 2 centuries. But that's not the way the phrase was being used. He said his coaching tenure spanned 2 decades. That would be like America trying to say in 1900 that our independence had spanned 3 centuries. No it hasn't because The centuries and THE decades are counts that started at 1 not 0. In 1901 the statement would be correct. In 2021 his statement about Garrett would be correct.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Sure bro. And in 1976 America could say we had been a nation for 2 centuries. But that's not the way the phrase was being used. He said his coaching tenure spanned 2 decades. That would be like America trying to say in 1900 that our independence had spanned 3 centuries. No it hasn't because The centuries and THE decades are counts that started at 1 not 0. In 1901 the statement would be correct. In 2021 his statement about Garrett would be correct.

It's actually a lot trickier than you're thinking, because #1, Garrett started out an interim head coach part of the way through the 2010 season. He wasn't technically named head coach without the interim title until January 2011.

Now, there's also the way we describe certain decades (or even centuries). Your point about 1900 v 1901 is an interesting one...because while "the 20th century" is considered 1901-2000, that is different from "the 1900's" which is 1900-1999.

20th century - Wikipedia

The 20th (twentieth) century was a century that began on January 1, 1901[1] and ended on December 31, 2000.[2] It was the tenth and final century of the 2nd millennium. Strictly speaking, it is distinct from the century known as the 1900s which began on January 1, 1900, and ended on December 31, 1999.

So...if we're really splitting hairs here, if the guy with the tweet considered "Interim" as no different than just being officially head coach, Garrett was head coach for at least part of every single year in the 2010's decade (2010-2019)...and the 2020's decade would have began yesterday with him still "technically" head coach of the team, despite the fact he technically isn't under contract for next season (since his contract I believe expires Jan 14th). But if that shit is ignored, you could claim he was head coach throughout the 2010's and is now entering the 2020's still head coach.

TLDR: This is a stupid argument, even the wiki for the word century notes there is Strict Usage and General Usage of the term, which is going to be true for decades as well. Also what the fuck does Garrett have on Jones to be getting a THIRD MEETING after this season.

Kaines

Potato Supreme
Are we really going to spend multiple pages arguing the difference between “A decade” and “the decade of”???

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Merrith

Are we really going to spend multiple pages arguing the difference between “A decade” and “the decade of”???

I hope not. Hoss needs to remember who said "spanned" and in relation to what exactly, too.

Otherwise I just love the fact we're still talking about Jason Garrett still as a potential head coach for the Dallas Cowboys going forward.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I'll say this, Rivera hitting mostly all the right notes in his press conference. Granted, the honeymoon phase will last awhile, and I want to see how all the front office stuff shakes out before the draft.
I think he's a good coach. You could have done a lot worse.

• 2Like

Merrith

I think he's a good coach. You could have done a lot worse.

This is where I'm at. Even people who might be down on him as a head coach, he or candidates of his caliber could easily just laugh at the Redskins given the state of the org over the last X years. Even if he doesn't end up a long term answer, we easily could have ended up with much worse.

• 1Like

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'll say this, Rivera hitting mostly all the right notes in his press conference. Granted, the honeymoon phase will last awhile, and I want to see how all the front office stuff shakes out before the draft.

Let's play a fun game. It's called in 9 years, how many winning seasons did Ron Rivera have?

• 1Worf

Merrith

Let's play a fun game. It's called in 9 years, how many winning seasons did Ron Rivera have?

3. Coach of the year twice, overall winning record, Super Bowl Appearance. He also had seasons where a 6-2 start was ruined by injuries, etc. I think it's fair to say he had some success there, and also some rougher seasons.

• 1Like

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
I hope not. Hoss needs to remember who said "spanned" and in relation to what exactly, too.

Do you mean that I'm supposed to know who Kevin Clark is, or are you talking about me saying spanned because I couldn't remember his exact words? He said enters his second decade as head coach. There's no context in which that is correct unless you subscribe to the whack ass theory that you can define a named decade to start whenever the fuck you want. I already explained why that's idiotic. He was head coach for 9.5 years. It was entirely in one decade because this is the last year of The Decade. Kevin was trying to pump up his numbers. I'm surprised he didn't add "and only lost 70 games"

What else are we gunna post about?

Merrith

Do you mean that I'm supposed to know who Kevin Clark is, or are you talking about me saying spanned because I couldn't remember his exact words? He said enters his second decade as head coach. There's no context in which that is correct unless you subscribe to the whack ass theory that you can define a named decade to start whenever the fuck you want. I already explained why that's idiotic. He was head coach for 9.5 years. It was entirely in one decade because this is the last year of The Decade. Kevin was trying to pump up his numbers. I'm surprised he didn't add "and only lost 70 games"

What else are we gunna post about?

yes, because you couldn't remember his last words. He only said entering a 2nd decade (I wasn't sure if you were thinking he was claiming spanned), which since Garret had been head coach for at least part of all 10 seasons of the 2010's (no, 2020 is not part of the 2010's), and he ignore the interim shit it was clearly a humorous play that he was technically entering the 2020's as head coach since his contract ran until Jan 14th.

Silly and dumb thing to point out by him? Yeah, but for someone trying to make a weak joke at the turn of the year with the technicalities, I get it.

Sounds like Garrett is going to be out, not sure if officially confirmed?

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Garrett...out!

Anonymous source but I'm provisionally willing to accept those in sports news, especially since this seemed inevitable.

He does have pretty good stats for such a despised coach, but playoff wins are what matter.

Merrith

I just don't get how it takes 3 meetings. In all honestly that roster is just far too talented to go 8-8 this year. To not even score a TD against the Eagles in what amounts to a must win game, just sad. Maybe that theory about him being a fall back had legs, but at this point I'd figure Jerry would have been ready to move on immediately following end of the season.

• 2Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I just don't get how it takes 3 meetings. In all honestly that roster is just far too talented to go 8-8 this year. To not even score a TD against the Eagles in what amounts to a must win game, just sad. Maybe that theory about him being a fall back had legs, but at this point I'd figure Jerry would have been ready to move on immediately following end of the season.

His contract was already up, I'm guessing his mind was already made up but for whatever reason he didn't want to rush into the announcement.

Merrith

His contract was already up, I'm guessing his mind was already made up but for whatever reason he didn't want to rush into the announcement.

Now the fun begins to see who his top candidates are to replace.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
My guess is they were wanting him in the front office. But it could have also been cover for garret while he decided what he wanted to do. Much like they did for Romo.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Anonymous source but I'm provisionally willing to accept those in sports news, especially since this seemed inevitable.

He does have pretty good stats for such a despised coach, but playoff wins are what matter.
What a liar, you won't fool me twice with your fake tweets!!!

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>

It is Lynch's seventh time as a finalist, Faneca's fifth time and the fourth time for Boselli, Bruce and James. Atwater and Hutchinson have each been a finalist three times.

if one's been a finalist for fucking 7 times, they are not HoF worthy.

• 1Truth!