NFL 2019 Season: It's Tricky!

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
So I won't deny that he isn't backup level material. My issue is with all these people saying he only isn't playing because he is being blackballed by the league cause of his protests. And that he is better than many of the starters currently out there. That narrative is 100% bullshit, and that is what is annoying. Is he a capable backup? Sure. He is a capable starter? Probably not.

I get your point about him being awful on an awful 49ers team, but he was also never more than average even at his best. There is not a single team he could go play for now, and he would make them appreciably better.

He IS better than the bottom rung QB's. The issue is if he was given a shot at those bottom positions, is the retarded money he wants, and the headache he will bring. That isn't worth it. Plus we know that unless you give him elite talent, you may as well stick with what you have at QB.

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
He IS better than the bottom rung QB's. The issue is if he was given a shot at those bottom positions, is the retarded money he wants, and the headache he will bring. That isn't worth it. Plus we know that unless you give him elite talent, you may as well stick with what you have at QB.

Yeah if the rumored amounts he was asking for are true, it's basically as bad as Dak asking for $40M a year, relative to their actual position in the QB rankings.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>

Not only that but there is very little appreciation from athletes today. They say the same old shit but their actions speak louder. Kaep would kneel, say stupid shit, and cause untold headaches the day after a $40 million per year contract and within hours of promising to not do so behind closed doors. He's a complete scumbag. I still remember his support of Fidel Castro in Miami of all places. Look at Kenny Stills in Miami. Raising a stink with the guy who actually funds your initiative. Does anyone believe Kenny does anything but a few hours of community work here and there? That he spends a large chunk of his money towards these initiatives? I've always hated the hypocrisy of athletes doing so little beyond talking and using a bit of their time. You're multi-millionaires. Bring some of that bacon to the table. I want some sacrifice with my social justice.

Merrith

Actually a funny thing looking at some of this stuff, the idea of Kaepernick starting for someone in 2017 versus now...I don't know if NFL GM's have been better at drafting QB's or if we just had a few good years of talent coming out of college (coupled with guys like Brady, Brees, Roethlisberger, Eli, etc still hanging on in their later years), but the QB landscape is in a better spot this year by far.

We're not talking about the Bears paying Mike Glennon $45M to potentially be a starter. Denver isn't starting a collection of Trevor Siemian, Brock Osweiler, and Paxton Lynch. The Jets aren't rolling out Josh McCown and Bryce Petty. Cleveland isn't picking between DeShone Kizer, Kevin Hogan, and Cody Kessler. Houston isn't having to play Tom Savage and TJ Yates.

Seems more now like virtually every team has someone semi established, a vet who might just need a change of scenery, or "hope" in the form of a QB drafted high in the last year or two.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Dave Dameshek talks about that on his podcast. It seems like every team has a viable starting quarterback now, when for several years it seemed like the planet just couldn't produce 32 human beings capable of playing quarterback successfully in the NFL.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
The transition from college to nfl doesn't seem to be nearly as awkward as it was a few years ago. Even more so back when like Brady started.

"I think it was a different time. Football was different then," Brady said. "Now, in some ways, pro football is more glorified college football. In some ways, the transition — it’s more similar than it used to be when I first started. Football now is removing some of the physical elements of the game. It’s more of a space game. You see a lot of college plays more in the pro game now than I remember when I started."

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
The transition from college to nfl doesn't seem to be nearly as awkward as it was a few years ago. Even more so back when like Brady started.

Ridounkulous rule changes over the last 20 years. I could start!

• 1Like

Merrith

Dave Dameshek talks about that on his podcast. It seems like every team has a viable starting quarterback now, when for several years it seemed like the planet just couldn't produce 32 human beings capable of playing quarterback successfully in the NFL.

That said, some of the old guard will eventually be done, and guys like Mariota, Dalton, and Winston are basically playing to prove they can still be thought of as "the answer" or if their teams will need to try to reboot. But yeah, it's weird how settled every team seems to be, or at least with a young guy they drafted recently.

Fadaar

That guy
Only team that really has big question marks at QB right now IMO is Miami. Pretty high chance they tank this year and take a QB #1 overall next spring.

If I had to categorize it here's how I'd do it:

- "What about after this season?" group: Tampa, Tennessee, Oakland, Dallas (lol). Winston and Mariota have both fallen short of expectations of 1-2 picks for different reasons, Carr may be under contract for a while but Gruden is a QB killer, and lol Dak Prescott and the contract shenanigans.

- "Does the rookie work out?" group (rookies this year and last): Buffalo, NY Jets, Baltimore, Cleveland, Denver, NY Giants, Washington, Arizona. Bills, Jets, and Browns seem to be heading in the right direction -- good god it feels weird to type that and not be sarcasm. The four rookies this year? Who the fuck knows, withholding any judgment til the season gets started. None of them inherited very good situations but I think Haskins probably got the best setup of the bunch. Murray will be the only one to be the starter come week 1. MAYBE Jones but I see them trotting out the wrinkled corpse of Eli for one last hurrah.

- "Young guns" group. Houston, Kansas City, Philadelphia, San Fran, LA Rams, Chicago. All good to great starters. Watson is fantastic and should stay that way long as he's healthy. Mahomes we saw what he's capable of last year but I don't think it's possible to put those numbers up again especially without Hunt and teams having the offseason to study him. Wentz is a good starter but far too injury prone. Jimmy G I put here even though it's his 7th season he's only played in 26 games and started far fewer, he's been shaky in his starts stat wise in SF but has won games. Goff is good but not quite 'there' yet. Even with a stout run game and a great receiving core he completely shit the bed in the Super Bowl. Whether that was Belichick doing his thing or Goff simply falling apart, who knows. Need another deep playoff run to see. Bears looked REALLY good last year and Trubisky contributed healthily to it, they'll be a fun team to watch again this year.

- "Elder statesmen minus the rings" group. Indianapolis, LA Chargers, Minnesota, Detroit, Carolina, Atlanta, Cincinnati. Dalton is the only one really on the hot seat IMO and I could have included them in the first group. The rest of them however are rock solid in their starting roles and aren't going anywhere anytime soon, except maybe Rivers to retirement but at this point I expect him to play alongside his own children.

- "Elder statesmen WITH rings" group. New England, Pittsburgh, NY Giants, Green Bay, New Orleans, Seattle, Jacksonville. The guys every other team wishes they had. Except Eli. Only included them on this because he's still listed as the #1 QB. Brady, Roethlisberger, Rodgers, Brees, and Wilson have been some of the best QB's since coming in to the league but how much they have left in the tank is a question that pops up every year for all of them minus Wilson. Brady the Immortal keeps on keeping on, the fucker. Big Ben could die on the field at any moment. Rodgers and the Pack continue to be the "this year is our year!" franchise that rivals only the Cowboys in fruitless optimism. Brees, while being nearly as old as Brady, doesn't get near the attention about his age (40) and, much like Brady, doesn't really seem to be slowing down. At this point Brady is only going to retire after Brees does because he's a dick like that. Russell Wilson has a bright future ahead of him, especially with how terrible half of that division is. If Seattle can get the defense back up and running that team could be a force once again. Included the Jags here because I didn't want to give them their own category, plus Foles fits. If Foles can stay healthy they can easily take the division and possibly the AFC, would be a nice story.

There's my incoherent rambling that took way too long to type but it's ok because I'm bored and the Bucs game doesn't start til 7:30

• 9Like
Reactions: 8 users

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Brandin Cooks was definitely interfered with in the end zone, give that score to the Rams and that game really comes down to the wire. Yeah Goff shit the bed but Kupp missed the entire playoffs and Gurley was clearly not 100%. I think McVay simply got outcoached and the Rams OL wasn't great either.

I'll never get over this loss or the previous loss to the Pats but I'm optimistic about McVay and Goff going forward. Hopefully they grow from the ass whoopin.

• 1Like

Hosix

All labs matter!
Only team that really has big question marks at QB right now IMO is Miami. Pretty high chance they tank this year and take a QB #1 overall next spring.

If I had to categorize it here's how I'd do it:

- "What about after this season?" group: Tampa, Tennessee, Oakland, Dallas (lol). Winston and Mariota have both fallen short of expectations of 1-2 picks for different reasons, Carr may be under contract for a while but Gruden is a QB killer, and lol Dak Prescott and the contract shenanigans.

- "Does the rookie work out?" group (rookies this year and last): Buffalo, NY Jets, Baltimore, Cleveland, Denver, NY Giants, Washington, Arizona. Bills, Jets, and Browns seem to be heading in the right direction -- good god it feels weird to type that and not be sarcasm. The four rookies this year? Who the fuck knows, withholding any judgment til the season gets started. None of them inherited very good situations but I think Haskins probably got the best setup of the bunch. Murray will be the only one to be the starter come week 1. MAYBE Jones but I see them trotting out the wrinkled corpse of Eli for one last hurrah.

- "Young guns" group. Houston, Kansas City, Philadelphia, San Fran, LA Rams, Chicago. All good to great starters. Watson is fantastic and should stay that way long as he's healthy. Mahomes we saw what he's capable of last year but I don't think it's possible to put those numbers up again especially without Hunt and teams having the offseason to study him. Wentz is a good starter but far too injury prone. Jimmy G I put here even though it's his 7th season he's only played in 26 games and started far fewer, he's been shaky in his starts stat wise in SF but has won games. Goff is good but not quite 'there' yet. Even with a stout run game and a great receiving core he completely shit the bed in the Super Bowl. Whether that was Belichick doing his thing or Goff simply falling apart, who knows. Need another deep playoff run to see. Bears looked REALLY good last year and Trubisky contributed healthily to it, they'll be a fun team to watch again this year.

- "Elder statesmen minus the rings" group. Indianapolis, LA Chargers, Minnesota, Detroit, Carolina, Atlanta, Cincinnati. Dalton is the only one really on the hot seat IMO and I could have included them in the first group. The rest of them however are rock solid in their starting roles and aren't going anywhere anytime soon, except maybe Rivers to retirement but at this point I expect him to play alongside his own children.

- "Elder statesmen WITH rings" group. New England, Pittsburgh, NY Giants, Green Bay, New Orleans, Seattle, Jacksonville. The guys every other team wishes they had. Except Eli. Only included them on this because he's still listed as the #1 QB. Brady, Roethlisberger, Rodgers, Brees, and Wilson have been some of the best QB's since coming in to the league but how much they have left in the tank is a question that pops up every year for all of them minus Wilson. Brady the Immortal keeps on keeping on, the fucker. Big Ben could die on the field at any moment. Rodgers and the Pack continue to be the "this year is our year!" franchise that rivals only the Cowboys in fruitless optimism. Brees, while being nearly as old as Brady, doesn't get near the attention about his age (40) and, much like Brady, doesn't really seem to be slowing down. At this point Brady is only going to retire after Brees does because he's a dick like that. Russell Wilson has a bright future ahead of him, especially with how terrible half of that division is. If Seattle can get the defense back up and running that team could be a force once again. Included the Jags here because I didn't want to give them their own category, plus Foles fits. If Foles can stay healthy they can easily take the division and possibly the AFC, would be a nice story.

There's my incoherent rambling that took way too long to type but it's ok because I'm bored and the Bucs game doesn't start til 7:30

Good post. When does Kaepernick get his chance? I need to see him fail and get crushed by AD or KM.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
5th or 6th time the charm? Good he got it back together and took himself out of whatever situation he ended up in last year.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
5th or 6th time the charm? Good he got it back together and took himself out of whatever situation he ended up in last year.

I'm HOPING they soften up the marijuana checks...

At this point I will take ANY part of Gordon.

Vinjin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Brandin Cooks was definitely interfered with in the end zone, give that score to the Rams and that game really comes down to the wire.

It was a lot less about the pass interference and a lot more about him dropping the ball. That's why he gets paid the big bucks - to make those catches.

As a former receiver myself, I remember certain plays where I could just "feel" the big hit coming as I was watching the ball into my hands. And it was never scarier than coming across the middle. /shiver.

Our coach he used to tell us, you know you're going to get waxed anyway so you might as well hold onto the ball. Heh.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Vanderhoof

Trakanon Raider
Derwin James has a stress fracture of the 5th metatarsal. Did some research on uptodate and that type of fracture doesnt heal well without surgery, he might be out a while.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>

Untitled.png

lol

• 2Worf
  • 1EyeRoll
Reactions: 2 users

Hosix

All labs matter!
Derwin James has a stress fracture of the 5th metatarsal. Did some research on uptodate and that type of fracture doesnt heal well without surgery, he might be out a while.

Didn’t he have an injury coming out of college?

He was fun to watch play. He was good in all aspects of his game. Coverage, awareness and he could tackle.

• 1Solidarity