NFL 2020 Season: Gravy Edition!

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
Part of me wants to boycott, but some brands are bigger and more important than the players to fans.

I watched the Saints when Brooks was throwing backwards passes in Baton Rouge bc the city was flooded + have all the years of time before that where we sucked balls.

I love the pelicans and I’m excited about them and Zion making a playoff push, but I can boycott their ass for the greater good. My Saints history is just too strong and they’re a weird part of my life that I always go back to -even if it usually ends in tears and defeat.

maybe I can stream it as compromise?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Part of me wants to boycott, but some brands are bigger and more important than the players to fans.

I watched the Saints when Brooks was throwing backwards passes in Baton Rouge bc the city was flooded + have all the years of time before that where we sucked balls.

I love the pelicans and I’m excited about them and Zion making a playoff push, but I can boycott their ass for the greater good. My Saints history is just too strong and they’re a weird part of my life that I always go back to -even if it usually ends in tears and defeat.

maybe I can stream it as compromise?

If sports were just some casual thing, then who cares, right? But because they means a lot to people and our society is when I start to think it's worth pushing back against the bullshit. Hard to make an argument one shouldn't care of they care a lot.

Let's say even If the BLM movement and social justice is a worthy and noble cause, do we really want giant corporations and billionaire owners and millionaire players being the ones engineering social change? Sports should be a respite from social change and upheavel, imo, not the cause of it. Sports should be where we all lay aside our differences and be the place we meet for just for fun battles, not ground zero in a culture war.

Consider the NFL. How many people do any of us know that boycotted the league for becoming too black? But now we're being told we have to have a black national anthem and BLM protests and social justice messages about racial injustice because we're a bunch of worthless racists. If we were racists, we wouldn't still be around watching a sport with majority black players.... But, nope, not good enough, so shut up racist, and still give us your money so we can use it to engineer society in accordance with a vision that is at odds with your very existence.

Is this fine?

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
While his play is great, he seems like a gigantic whiny piece of shit.

• 1Solidarity

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
While his play is great, he seems like a gigantic whiny piece of shit.

No question he makes their D better. Two 1sts and a 3rd for a 4th and him (and seattle sent a safety back the other way I think) is a lot, though.

• 1Like

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
No question he makes their D better. Two 1sts and a 3rd for a 4th and him (and seattle sent a safety back the other way I think) is a lot, though.
This is where I'm at. 100% not happy to see him in the NFC West, but also find it amusing watching the Seahawks mortgage their future on him. He's great, but the Seahawks are also far more than 1 player from winning the Super Bowl.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I hate the Jets but this was a really shrewd deal. Not only will they have their top 5 pick in 2021 but two extra early picks. Douglas made some good picks this year so that's some really good ammo for the next HC.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I hate the Jets but this was a really shrewd deal. Not only will they have their top 5 pick in 2021 but two extra early picks. Douglas made some good picks this year so that's some really good ammo for the next HC.

Really seems to set up for them if they want to bail on Darnold after this year they'll have probably an early pick, another 1st, and and extra 3rd this year as ammo to potentially move up to get Trevor Lawrence.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users
Need advice. I moved from C-land to just over the PA border.

This is Steeler country. Not familiar with these yinsers and their ways. Can I hang up a modest display of Browns allegiance, or is that basically inviting something out of Mississippi Burning?

• 2Worf

Hosix

All labs matter!
Pretty fucking crazy if he actually makes it back onto the field. Part of me hopes he does just cause I am rooting for the guy, part of me hopes he doesn't cause I would be scared for him!

If he makes it to the field....he better fucking get comeback player of the year and sports illustrated athlete of the year. Not some BLM supporting douche.

• 2Like

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Tell that to Jackie Robinson.

Show me the major injustices to any minority today compared to his time. Oh no! Only 70% of the NFL is black! The NBA is 80% black! Someone dun goofed!

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Tell that to Jackie Robinson.

Oh no, I forgot about Jackie Robinson!!!

Such banal and low hanging fruit that I thought to counter it before the point was made, but decided not to and see if someone would post a single name and think they made an informed and insightful point.

Do you think baseball was integrated to cause social upheaval and change, or despite it? Sure, some props to be given for integrating despite the predictable backlash, but my argument was it was a business decision, not social justice.

My argument would also be that society was moving in the direction of integrating baseball and generally anyhow, and did forcing it may have cause a longer, worse transition period than waiting until it was the overwhelming will of the public.

Also, how many how I players making a living in negro leagues were out of jobs because of integrating at a time it would cause a lot of backlash as well as not be widely accepted enough to help the majority of black players.

Forced social change may cause more issues longer term by being prescriptive of society rather than being reactionary to the will of the people or reflective of a changing society.

Also, comparing the plight of Jackie Robinson and black people of that era to now is a disservice and ignorant of either, as was already pointed out so I won't bother.

• 2Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 2 users