NFL 2020 Season: Gravy Edition!

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
I'm sure there is, but they'll have to haggle over details. 17 games also means not an even number of games so unless they want to make everyone play a neutral field foreign game it'll be awkward for home/away splits. Can't wait for a Mahomes 6k yard season though!

Oh god, I could see them doing that to promote their games in other countries nonsense.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Maybe the worst 4 teams in the league each year can have nothing but home games.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
From what I heard, an extra regular season game would give another $5 billion of revenue to the players side of things. No idea if that would be final number or if they're just negotiating for more.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I like the extra teams in the playoffs, not sure about the 17th game. If they do it, they should get rid of a pre-season game.

The new playoff format would give us 13 total playoff games, including the Superbowl. It would give the best team in the conference a real advantage over everyone else, being the only team to get a bye. I like all that.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Merrith

I like the extra teams in the playoffs, not sure about the 17th game. If they do it, they should get rid of a pre-season game.

The new playoff format would give us 13 total playoff games, including the Superbowl. It would give the best team in the conference a real advantage over everyone else, being the only team to get a bye. I like all that.

I'm pretty sure the 17th regular season game essentially comes with there only being 3 preseason games (so removing one).

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I'm pretty sure the 17th game is going to get voted down by the players, because they are not okay with the $250k cap on that 17th game.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Kaines

Potato Supreme
I heard on the radio this morning that this is a take it or leave it offer from the owners. Any downvote will result in a work stoppage. Not sure I believe that is true but that is the story the owners are going with.

Sterling

El Presidente
I'm pretty sure the 17th game is going to get voted down by the players, because they are not okay with the $250k cap on that 17th game.
Who knew a union would balk at such a small increase in compensation for a 6.25 percent increase in work?!?!

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sterling

El Presidente
Projected cap is 201.2 million. Prorating the cap/salaries for the extra game would be an increase of 12.6+ million. 250k is a joke. Also if they did the extra game as neutral field foreign games, that could be very exciting. Imagine watching Jacksonville vs Detroit live from Moscow!!

Merrith

But overall salaries would increase because owners are offering a bigger percentage of the overall pie if players agree to a 17th game. I saw some numbers like player share going from 48% to 48.5%. 0.5% seems small, but I read it amounted to $5 billion. Obviously that's spread among all NFL players, but still should be a decent amount.

Sterling

El Presidente
But overall salaries would increase because owners are offering a bigger percentage of the overall pie if players agree to a 17th game. I saw some numbers like player share going from 48% to 48.5%. 0.5% seems small, but I read it amounted to $5 billion. Obviously that's spread among all NFL players, but still should be a decent amount.
Sure, the cap thing might work, but they'll have to work out a lot of details like if they're going to prorate existng contracts and all that stuff.

Merrith

Sure, the cap thing might work, but they'll have to work out a lot of details like if they're going to prorate existng contracts and all that stuff.

I would assume the owners are just offering a straight up increase to the cap relative to overall revenue.

Sources: 14 playoff teams likely in new NFL CBA

Okay, I had that wrong it isn't just a 0.5% increase.

As part of the deal now on the table, players would go from a 47% revenue share under the current deal to 48% share at 16 games, and then to a 48.5% share if they go to 17 games, shifting $5 billion of revenue to the players' side.

Also apparently playoff teams on bye weren't getting paid for the bye week, but they would now (of course, it would be 2 less teams).

Edit: Sorry, it IS 0.5% for agreeing to 17th game, but they're already going to get another 1% anyways.

Also...if they go to 17 game seasons, how do they determine who gets 9 home games versus 8.

• 1Like

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>

Shot down, for now or maybe not.

That’s just a recommendation and the 32 player reps are also expected to hold a vote Friday. That will also serve as a recommendation as the NFLPA will submit the proposal to the full membership whether or not the player reps vote in favor of the deal.

Sterling

El Presidente
I would assume the owners are just offering a straight up increase to the cap relative to overall revenue.

Sources: 14 playoff teams likely in new NFL CBA

Okay, I had that wrong it isn't just a 0.5% increase.

Also apparently playoff teams on bye weren't getting paid for the bye week, but they would now (of course, it would be 2 less teams).

Edit: Sorry, it IS 0.5% for agreeing to 17th game, but they're already going to get another 1% anyways.

Also...if they go to 17 game seasons, how do they determine who gets 9 home games versus 8.
every team plays a neutral field game. so they can do 16 foreign games or games in other regions or whatever.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
The 250k cap is only on existing contracts, so in 2021 that's already only 200 players (who make more than $4.250m and would make less than their standard per game salary). It would be significantly less between now and when a 17th game is actually implemented.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
every team plays a neutral field game. so they can do 16 foreign games or games in other regions or whatever.

Makes you wonder if players will be fuck that and want 18 if they do agree to more

Merrith

That's...a lot of neutral field games. Also who would each team be playing that extra game? Right now at 16 playing each team in your division twice (6), plus all the teams from another in conference division (4), all the teams from an out of conference division (4), and the teams from the other 2 divisions within your own conference that finished in the same place as you did the previous year (2) works out pretty well. They just going to add another division game where you would play someone 3 times, or some other random opponent?

Sterling

El Presidente
That's...a lot of neutral field games. Also who would each team be playing that extra game? Right now at 16 playing each team in your division twice (6), plus all the teams from another in conference division (4), all the teams from an out of conference division (4), and the teams from the other 2 divisions within your own conference that finished in the same place as you did the previous year (2) works out pretty well. They just going to add another division game where you would play someone 3 times, or some other random opponent?
Could just be a game vs other conference of division ranking the way they do from the other 2 same conference divisions. Obviously the foreign game thing is made up, but it does seem like the league seems all about having more of those games anyways. All the foreign games being an AFC vs NFC team of equal division rankings across the board.

• 1Like