NFL 2020 Season: Gravy Edition!

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
He has been top 10 in passing a number of times. Top 5 several times as well.

#3 in 2011, #2 in 2012, #3 in 2013, #9 in 2014, #8 in 2015, #9 in 2016, #3 in 2017, #16 in 2018, injured in 2019, #12 in 2020.

I mean there's more to a QB than just passing yardage, but it does seem like people are passing him over just because he isn't good enough to carry a terrible franchise on his back.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
#3 in 2011, #2 in 2012, #3 in 2013, #9 in 2014, #8 in 2015, #9 in 2016, #3 in 2017, #16 in 2018, injured in 2019, #12 in 2020.

I mean there's more to a QB than just passing yardage, but it does seem like people are passing him over just because he isn't good enough to carry a terrible franchise on his back.
I am not trying to say he is Tom Brady or Joe Montana but I think he is a huge upgrade over Goff.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Read a pretty convincing article not too long ago that made a strong case that 1st round picks are overrated and 3rd round picks are actually the most valuable.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Well, the greatest player of all time went in the 6th round.

The new greatest player of all time drafted 10th overall. its a toss up based on risk.

• 1Like

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Has more to do with the salary cap and rookie contracts being pre-determined. The 3rd round is where players are most likely to outplay their contract

• 1Like

Sterling

El Presidente
1st round isn't as bad as it used to be since the salaries are slotted now. Used to have to eat some pretty bad contracts if your first round guy is garbage. 3rd round might be the best value per dollar, but the 1st round is still where most of the best players come from.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
The way they're going when Mcvay gets fired some poor bastard is going to get a team of super expensive senior citizens and no draft picks for 5 years.
steve coogan shrug GIF

• 2Worf

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
1st round isn't as bad as it used to be since the salaries are slotted now. Used to have to eat some pretty bad contracts if your first round guy is garbage. 3rd round might be the best value per dollar, but the 1st round is still where most of the best players come from.

Yeah it's definitely not that the best players come from the 3rd round, but them being only 1/10th the cap hit is a pretty big deal.

• 1Like

Zajeer

Molten Core Raider
I wonder if Watson is going to be un-tradeable now because of how expensive it will be to get him. I can see asking for like 3 1sts and more picks / players, but what GM is willing to bet the entire teams future on 1 guy, regardless of how good he is. I wouldn’t be surprised if Watson doesn’t get moved because the Texans asked too high of a price and no one is willing to pay that much

• 1Galaxy Brain
  • 1Like

Sterling

El Presidente
I wonder if Watson is going to be un-tradeable now because of how expensive it will be to get him. I can see asking for like 3 1sts and more picks / players, but what GM is willing to bet the entire teams future on 1 guy, regardless of how good he is. I wouldn’t be surprised if Watson doesn’t get moved because the Texans asked too high of a price and no one is willing to pay that much
Someone will do it, only takes one team and there's been plenty of terrible trades over the years and this time they'll be trading for someone proven to be a great young player.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Good points on Stafford guys. He did take one of the worst franchises in sports to the playoffs three times so I definitely shit on him a bit too hard. He is a huge upgrade from Goff and I should have mentioned that before.

I don't think Goff adds much value in that trade outside of ability to make it through a NFL game with some stats. Borderline starter on a bottom feeder team. Similar to Flacco in that he's regressed but a better passer and the Rams corrected their situation faster than the Ravens. He won't ever get the Lions to the playoffs without elite talent to carry him. Good luck on that.

I've read a team needs around 5? blue chips to be a serious contender so that leaves a lot of 3rd round and lower guys to get the team there. Definitely not a scientific measure lol but most of these thoughts are common sense. The best drafting teams have a massive asset advantage.

• 1Like

Kaines

Potato Supreme
Well after thinking about it, maybe that is just what a proven QB is worth in todays NFL. Sure he's no worldbeater, but he's played pretty consistently well for years on a team that has always sucked. I don't expect him to come out setting records next year, but if the rest of the keep can keep from regressing in the offseason they'll be in an excellent position for a year or two.
It will never happen because he drove McCarthy out of GB, but I'd laugh my ass off if the Cowboys packaged Dak and a couple #1's to get Rodgers.

• 1Worf

Zajeer

Molten Core Raider
Honestly I think what would be hilarious if the Lions flip the firsts they got, Goff, and like 1 more first and get Watson instead. Goff becomes a Texan for a hot minute before they cut him

• 5Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 6 users

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Honestly I think what would be hilarious if the Lions flip the firsts they got, Goff, and like 1 more first and get Watson instead. Goff becomes a Texan for a hot minute before they cut him

trade Goff, their two first rounders they just got and then one of their own, maybe a second. 😂

Fadaar

That guy
Depending on what happens with Rodgers in the near future the Lions might finally win a division title with all those picks.

• 1Like

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
What the fuck happened to Goff? He was a Pro Bowler in 2017 and 2018. Super Bowl Appearence in 18'.

He signed a 100 million Dollar contract in 2019! He must have really soured that franchise for them to move on from him.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X

You pretty much have to have some balls AND be good at judging mid round talent. (Late round is really a guessing game) Like Ozzie Newsome good.

Also you need to actually have a lot of mid/late picks just to play the odds on hits and misses. I would say the Patriots have the latter as far as being able to survive a few 1st round picks being given up, but their GM is the worst at making picks.

OR just dumb, and say fuckit! Like the Jets.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Pats GM woes should be over, jesus the receipt for pawning off Easterby to McNair has to be framed in a gold somewhere in new england.

EDIT I still don't expect the lions to keep goff for some reason but not go after watson either

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Agree Stafford has potential to be good upgrade over Goff. Funny we had that Eli/Rivers/Big Ben/Ryan/Stafford discussion about who might get into the HoF...and now Stafford has a team that in theory, he can maybe get to a Super Bowl with in the next year or two.

• 2Like