NFL 2020 Season: Gravy Edition!

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Also weirdly, that isn't on this list...

NFL All-Time Bests Total QBR | ESPN

There were a rash of articles that mocked ridiculous instances like that and then later the rating magically changed. Did they change the formula or did someone just change the rating because of how dumb it was?

No way to verify, just take their word for it. Since it's espn i fully expect a diversity modifier that gives black QBs higher scores in the name of racial justice

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sterling

El Presidente
Lamar Jackson's 2019 is the 5th best QB season of all time by QBR. And his 2020 season is 40th on the list.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
There were a rash of articles that mocked ridiculous instances like that and then later the rating magically changed. Did they change the formula or did someone just change the rating because of how dumb it was?

No way to verify, just take their word for it. Since it's espn i fully expect a diversity modifier that gives black QBs higher scores in the name of racial justice

They might have found the glitch then. Most of those games at the top all make perfect sense. Not that I like being reminded of the night Vick absolutely destroyed the Washington Football team...but yeah.

Fadaar

That guy
Look at that fuckin Kaepernick game. 10/16 for 164 yds and 1 td. It values completion percentage way too much. At least Lamar's games he had a bunch of TD's even if the attempts/yds were fairly low.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
They might have found the glitch then. Most of those games at the top all make perfect sense. Not that I like being reminded of the night Vick absolutely destroyed the Washington Football team...but yeah.

It's not "a glitch" it's how the formula works and they're constantly tweaking it. A stat that's always changing to try and fit the eye test might as well just be an eye test stat.

Look at that fuckin Kaepernick game. 10/16 for 164 yds and 1 td. It values completion percentage way too much. At least Lamar's games he had a bunch of TD's even if the attempts/yds were fairly low.

It values rushing yards way too much. Running QBs with average games were getting 90+ ratings constantly. For reference, 50 is supposed to be an "average" game

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Passer rating gives a quick idea of comp %, average yards per pass, TD/Int ratio. Gives you an idea of how efficient a qb was. Game manager QBs will usually have high passer ratings so you have to look at it as just a part of the picture, but as long as you don't look at it as an end all stat and just another tool its useful.

QBR is just espn saying "We're ESPN we know better than you peasants"

• 1Truth!

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
It's not "a glitch" it's how the formula works and they're constantly tweaking it. A stat that's always changing to try and fit the eye test might as well just be an eye test stat.

It values rushing yards way too much. Running QBs with average games were getting 90+ ratings constantly. For reference, 50 is supposed to be an "average" game

Exactly. You have a 'formula' no one can explain outside of ESPN that is constantly changing. It has 'glitches' that are removed when found to be ludicrous. Running, for the QB position, is put at an extremely high level and Lamar Jackson of all people has a top 5 rating. I think all that points to an inaccurate mess that can be changed to justify anything. Might as well call it the 'Lebron James is the best player ever because we said so' stat on ESPN. It also adds clicks!!! "Don't take our word for it, the stats back it up!"

No...I don't think so.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Remember when Peyton Manning threw for 5500 yards, 55td to 10 int? Good enough for 14th tied with Matt Ryan!

Doesn't hold a candle to Josh Allen's last season, though. Sure he threw for 1000 less yards, 17 less TDs and the same amount of Ints, but i think Manning probably threw 2000 yards and 25 TDs in garbage time that year as they limped in to the playoffs with an embarrassing 13-3 record

Last edited:
  • 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Merrith

It's not that they overvalue running so much, it's that they give a lot of credit to rushing first downs. Maybe too much credit. But they also distinguish between say a 5 yards run/pass on 2nd and 5 that gets you a first down and a 10 yard gain on 3rd and 18 where the D just played soft as fuck to force an easy punt.

I'm sure they have been tweaking it constantly, b/c if you have a game like Charlie Batch's get rated that high...something is fucking wrong.

This isn't to say Passer Rating is useless, just that for individual games it can not tell the whole story. Dropped picks or TD's in garbage time really change the outcome. Over a whole season if a guy is at 121 like Rodgers was this year...he probably was crushing it in the regular season (and he did).

Merrith

Exactly. You have a 'formula' no one can explain outside of ESPN that is constantly changing. It has 'glitches' that are removed when found to be ludicrous. Running, for the QB position, is put at an extremely high level and Lamar Jackson of all people has a top 5 rating. I think all that points to an inaccurate mess that can be changed to justify anything. Might as well call it the 'Lebron James is the best player ever because we said so' stat on ESPN. It also adds clicks!!! "Don't take our word for it, the stats back it up!"

No...I don't think so.

And yet, even looking at Lamar Jackson...last year's playoff loss to the Titans, in the end he had over 500 yards of offense, but the QBR pretty correctly rated his overall game shit with a 30.4. Not perfect by any stretch, but tries to put empty stats into context from what I've seen.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
And yet, even looking at Lamar Jackson...last year's playoff loss to the Titans, in the end he had over 500 yards of offense, but the QBR pretty correctly rated his overall game shit with a 30.4. Not perfect by any stretch, but tries to put empty stats into context from what I've seen.

Which shows the stat isn't even consistent with itself. For all we know the QBR formula had it a lot higher but they lowered it in post because his performance was obviously a lot worse than what the number was. No way of knowing.

What I do know, is that a stat being proprietary is fucking retarded

• 1Like

Merrith

Which shows the stat isn't even consistent with itself. For all we know the QBR formula had it a lot higher but they lowered it in post because his performance was obviously a lot worse than what the number was. No way of knowing.

What I do know, is that a stat being proprietary is fucking retarded

No pretty sure that game was always ranked shitty because it was empty stats.

I do agree the stat being proprietary is stupid, though.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
who would of thought a fabricated stat that's changed to fit a motive on any given whim isn't reliable, minus a few people here.

• 4Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 4 users