NHL 2017-2018 Season: Penguins already sucking dick

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Late lead...check. Take a bad penalty...check. Let them tie it up...check. Lose in OT...check.

It's playoff time, baby.
I wasn't impressed with the Caps at all last night. They essentially got spotted 2 goals with that major. I don't think it bodes well for the Caps finally breaking through the second round.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Lazy Ovie line change....check

That was his fault for choosing to stay out longer earlier in the shift, until they were all completely gassed and needing to continue the cycle. If you're going to stay out late, you better not make that lazy change when they're trying to continue the cycle through you.

Bura's penalty literally behind Columbus' net with under 5 to go though is just inexcusable. Vrana playing less than 7 minutes is in a level all its own, as well.

Merrith

I wasn't impressed with the Caps at all last night. They essentially got spotted 2 goals with that major. I don't think it bodes well for the Caps finally breaking through the second round.

Of course, we also had to play with only 5 D man for most of the game because of it. Kempny only had 4 minutes TOI when that happened. Columbus' only even strength goal in regulation came off a play in neutral where a stick on the ice in front of their bench deflected the puck up in the air to allow their break in on net. I don't think either team is overall "happy" with how they played last night, it was pretty even, Panarin just made the big play in OT. We just have to not shoot ourselves in the foot with all the penalties in the 3rd.

Alterity

Molten Core Raider
I was fine with the Jackets overall play besides the first period. I've been telling friends as long as we stay out of the box we have a really good chance to win this series. Thankfully, our PK for the most part showed up. Foligno should have never been sent to the box for the first power play where he was pushed in Grubauer. Two of your goals were off the 5 major which I still have issues with if it should have been a GMC or even a major. Unfortunately he got hurt so that's the rule, but to me it looks like Anderson was going for hip check and thought he was going to come across the boards but he put on the brakes and was rolled face first into the glass. Wilson's hit was much more vicious in my eyes. And our goal in OT was even strength, so technically two goals.

How we won last night has actually how we've been winning here down the stretch. We get behind early in the game then finally wake up and start playing our game. I have a feeling both teams will need to control their emotions here in game 2 especially with players getting hurt on both sides.

Merrith

Yeah...Foligno and that fake fall completely deserved the penalty. He got bumped, then turned it into a "oopsie let me fall right on the goalie" moment. We've played Briere before in the playoffs to know exactly what that looks like.

Major completely deserved, saw the numbers the whole way in. Not sure what you're talking about as far as going for a hip check, dude clearly led with and followed through with elbow right into Kempny's numbers. Bloodied up, obvious concussion. Wonder when Kempny could potentially be back, if its even this series. Wilson's hit was bad, but it was at least a hockey play with him clearly trying to come from the front. Problem is it was reckless because Wennberg was already dipping his head down (versus where it would be fully standing up) and Wilson being 6'4 he needs to realize that is a hit he does not need to be going for. It crossed the line because all or most of the contact ended up directly to the head. Difference in my book is Wilson was trying to make a hockey play (hit a guy from the front) that ended up a bad judgement because of the position he could see Wennberg was in (dipping his head)...whereas Anderson literally looks at Kempny's numbers the whole way into the boards and rides him in/follows through.

I hope both guys heal up quickly, frankly I still think they could have given Wilson a 1 game suspension, because while he did do his best to hit him from the front, those type of hits that result in head contact like that do not need to be in the game, and they are something he had done a good job of cleanly up most of this season. Anderson getting nothing more is a little annoying, honestly, given how the two hits differ...but its consistent with how they've done things in the past given he received the game misconduct early in the game (1st period). Essentially he's already missed a full game for the hit.

Caps lost the game by taking all 3 penalties in the 3rd with a 1 goal lead, the final one being as dumb as it can possibly be. Not that I think we played very well overall at even strength, and how the Eller line only got about 7 minutes TOI is just criminal...but you can't take all those penalties in the 3rd protecting a 1 goal lead. Panarin just made a great play in OT, the shot was silky smooth and pretty to watch, save that it beat us.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
I was fine with the Jackets overall play besides the first period. I've been telling friends as long as we stay out of the box we have a really good chance to win this series. Thankfully, our PK for the most part showed up. Foligno should have never been sent to the box for the first power play where he was pushed in Grubauer. Two of your goals were off the 5 major which I still have issues with if it should have been a GMC or even a major. Unfortunately he got hurt so that's the rule, but to me it looks like Anderson was going for hip check and thought he was going to come across the boards but he put on the brakes and was rolled face first into the glass. Wilson's hit was much more vicious in my eyes. And our goal in OT was even strength, so technically two goals.

How we won last night has actually how we've been winning here down the stretch. We get behind early in the game then finally wake up and start playing our game. I have a feeling both teams will need to control their emotions here in game 2 especially with players getting hurt on both sides.

I personally agree with you on just about all accounts. Don't have the energy to disagree with Merrith though so I was keeping my mouth shut :)

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Kadri getting three games...ouch.

I find it a bit much but I can understand it. I find 1 or 2 to be reasonable then can see that they added the extra game for history of suspensions.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Boy there are some stupid calls in tonight's game. Hornqvist getting called for embellishment after being boarded? ridiculous.

Elliott looks very sharp tonight. What a turn around.

Jets are winning. I love it. I want them to meet Toronto in the finals. How awesome would that be?

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
Boarding? Lol, that was a textbook flop. Good to see it might be a series after that debacle in game one

Merrith

I personally agree with you on just about all accounts. Don't have the energy to disagree with Merrith though so I was keeping my mouth shut :)

I'm sure you agree with me about Wilson getting a game. I actually try to be objective, even when it is my guys. Surprised and a little disappointed the league didn't at least call him and fine him.

Arguing that the hit on Kempny shouldn't have been a major is just crazy town.

yaph

Molten Core Raider
Hornquist looked like a pro wrestler going into the turnbuckle the way he flailed his arms. He probably gets away with it if Malkin didn't flop to the ice when Simmonds "roughs" him.

Merrith

Hornqvist actually getting called for all his usual bullshit warmed my soul last night.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I just tuned in. 4-0 in the first period. What in the actual fuck, Toronto? Way to stab the hearts of all your fans once again.

Merrith

I just tuned in. 4-0 in the first period. What in the actual fuck, Toronto? Way to stab the hearts of all your fans once again.

Read somewhere about Babcock making comments about 4th line playing against Bergeron. Is he trying to get swept?

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
Sharks edge out another one. WIthout Gibson the Ducks would be completely fucked. I really dislike this goon squad fucking team, but it feels great to bury their home ice advantage.

Fadaar

That guy
Dammit Toronto, I need you to at least drag it out to 7 or win it. Tire Boston out for the sake of Not-Boston.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Toronto has no answer for that first line, they have been pretty surgical. Gonna be interesting to see if TB's endless wave of offensive tallent can break that defense. So far only one line doing the heavy lifting for Boston offensively and TB's defense is right up there if not better.

All theoretical of course, i'm sure the NJ Taylor Halls will turn it around for the reverse sweep!