NHL 2017-2018 Season: Penguins already sucking dick

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
I'll concede my beer league comment from gm1&2 (the early parts at least), but my take on game three is accurate. You should know better than to use shot totals as a metric for sustained offensive preasure.

I have no dog in this fight and I swear I am not taking jabs at you, I just think CBJ has looked more engaged this series.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'll concede my beer league comment from gm1&2 (the early parts at least), but my take on game three is accurate. You should know better than to use shot totals as a metric for sustained offensive preasure.

I have no dog in this fight and I swear I am not taking jabs at you, I just think CBJ has looked more engaged this series.

Not only usually shot totals though, pure possession, expected goals. We've also had guys tracking actual O zone possesion all series and its been in our favor. Even beyond those, the stat that has been in our favor by the largest margin all series is the high danger scoring chances. Which is probably the biggest indicator of who is actually generating sustained O. I'm also noting they were the only team who got a PP both in the 3rd period and the first OT period. They didn't have any real definitive edge imo (certainly nothing like today, where they absolutely dominated us in the 3rd). I think they started the first OT in that game pretty strong for the first few minutes (along with having a PP), but we took back over towards the end of the first OT, and came out very dominate to start the 2nd OT. Ended up paying off with the Eller goal.

Today's game was the first game Columbus has had an edge in high danger chances, 17-15. Of course, 10-2 in their favor during that 3rd period. That means it was 13-7 us over the other 50+ minutes of the game. As we can tell them from Game 2...a great 20 minutes is awesome, but if you only end up +1 in differential on the scoreboard after it, tough for it to carry you to a win. I'd be frustrated if I was them that they didn't find a way to win the game today in regulation, b/c they were shitting on us in the 3rd. Glad we regrouped, and had the better OT. But they can feel like they played their best game of the series today, for sure.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Yeah, I'm not doing well predicting the Washington series, but honestly. Who isn't surprised when they win in playoffs?

Toronto scored two on 6 shots, and didn't have a single shot in the last 9 minutes of the first period. This has been a Toronto strategy for three decades: We're ahead? Sweet. Time to relax.

Merrith

Yeah, I'm not doing well predicting the Washington series, but honestly. Who isn't surprised when they win in playoffs?

Toronto scored two on 6 shots, and didn't have a single shot in the last 9 minutes of the first period. This has been a Toronto strategy for three decades: We're ahead? Sweet. Time to relax.

Weirdly under Trotz we've made the 2nd round every time. So there's that.

But yes, we can forget my series altogether. We have another potential blown 4-1 lead by Toronto in Boston. I'd give anything to watch Dangle watching this game live.

Fadaar

That guy
go Leafs, I really don't want to slog out a 7 game series with Boston because I'm sure it'd come to that

Merrith

That was a wild period. I think Philly just ran out of gas, and I think Pitt deserved that win by miles. Which I hate to admit.

But holy crap, that was some entertaining hockey!

Beer cans on the ice...stay classy Philly.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Apparently they aren't broadcasting the Caps game in my area on any of my sport package channels... nice job NBC, nice job...

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
And now we'll give offsetting penalties for elbowing the Toronto goalie in the head while in the crease.

This officiating crew better not sleep in Toronto tonight.

Merrith

Apparently they aren't broadcasting the Caps game in my area on any of my sport package channels... nice job NBC, nice job...

Some Caps fan on one of the blogs was complaining about this Saturday. For certain areas either Caps/Jackets or Devils/Lightning was supposed to be the "main" game on NBC, and the other game on NBCSN, but that person was getting Devils/Lightning on both channels. Didn't hear where they lived though. Just silly NBC.

Not sure how I feel about Toronto/Boston Game 7. Would give time to rest if we can close out this final 20 minutes here, but would give Pittsburgh/Malkin more time to rest as well. Then again, another Leafs/B's Game 7 would be fun as hell to watch.

Merrith

Guess we all get to sit back and watch Leafs/Bruins at the same spot as 2013. Could be redemption for Toronto. Definitely rooting for the Leafs.

Glad to see we responded how we did to some of the bs in the 3rd. Role guys showed up. Ovehckin with 5 goals and 8 points in the series. Oddly enough Carlson led both teams with 9 points, although given all the PP goals we scored and how he basically starts every play on there, not terribly surprising.