Nintendo 3DS News, Games, etc.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Oh I see the 2DS isn't the same size as the 3DSXL, assumed it was since it looks so big. As for the price, over here they're like 180euros with a discount and no games, so it's still fairly expensive. Probably has to do with the fucking 19.6%tax and shit like that. I checked around though and seems Bravely Default is sold out everywhere but the shop selling it at retarded prices(65-70euros) so I guess no hurry since that's mostly the game I wanted to play, I'll wait a bit longer.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Oh I see the 2DS isn't the same size as the 3DSXL, assumed it was since it looks so big. As for the price, over here they're like 180euros with a discount and no games, so it's still fairly expensive. Probably has to do with the fucking 19.6%tax and shit like that. I checked around though and seems Bravely Default is sold out everywhere but the shop selling it at retarded prices(65-70euros) so I guess no hurry since that's mostly the game I wanted to play, I'll wait a bit longer.
Yeah, they are definitely not the same. I would just save up and hit a deal when you can.

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
Thanks for the game recommendations - playing through DS Chronotrigger now, but have been eyeing the Shin Megami Tensei series based on feedback in other threads, as well as Etrian Odyssey. Fire Emblem:Awakening will probably be my next purchase though.

Sean, do you have the custom battery? I'll check that case out, doesn't have to be fancy just practical.

FYI I tried taking my unopened red 3DS XL bought for $150 on Amazon to the local Wal-Mart to exchange for a Zelda edition based on others experiences with returns there - no go :/. Ah well, still enjoying it.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
They are fine - it's just a way for Nintendo to use up some of it's extra stock of original 3DS screens.
It's actually a single large LCD with two regions that are the same size as the original 3DS' panels, blocked off with plastic. That's why it doesn't use the clamshell design and why it had to be 2D only.

Ortega

Vyemm Raider
Picked this up at Target. I felt pretty guilty buying it after getting both PS4 and Xbox one, but I'm loving Fire Emblem, and looking at all the other RPG's out there I suspect this thing will tide me over until some good games for the next gen consoles come out.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Did you get it yesterday or today? Because the big deal is supposed to be over today.
You can still get the 10% off part, but not for a $149.99 machine.

Ortega

Vyemm Raider
Did you get it yesterday or today? Because the big deal is supposed to be over today.
You can still get the 10% off part, but not for a $149.99 machine.
I got it for the $150 plus 10% off yesterday. Only the 3DS had 10% off. Games were full price.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Speaking of Monster Hunter, is MH3U worth getting for the 3DS? I'm thinking about getting a Wii U sometime this year, should I just wait and get it on the WiiU instead?
You can transfer the saves, so its worth it if you don't mind buying the game for both systems.

Also, Kut Ku and Khezu back for MH4U? Fuck yes. Hopefully we see Gyp as well.

Szlia

Every time I think about buying a 3DS I remember that this thing is region-locked which, generally speaking, is the most retarded thing ever done for a console designed to be used while traveling and, at a personal level, is a big no-no for someone like me who deciphers some japanese and collect games from all over the world.

I hear there is now some way to break the region-locking, but how much of a hassle will it be in the future with patches and such? I gathered a PS2 by region over the years, but I am not buying 3 3DS just because the fine people at Nintendo are being retarded.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Most everything worthwhile is getting released in the West these days anyways, outside of some niche anime and love sim shit.

It's not there to stop people like you - it's there to stop people from buying a game that is released in their region but is cheaper in another, from importing.

Szlia

I don't care who or what it is designed to stop, being collateral damage is no consolation! Also, "the West" is split in two zones.

Needless

Toe Sucker
My only complaint is they're set as region locked form the get go.

I would be entirely happy if you could, out of the box choose your region and from then on its locked (im sure by having this it could be easily hacked though)
I want the option to buy a god damn Japanese 3DS with a sick model, and flat out set it to NA region.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Speaking of Monster Hunter, is MH3U worth getting for the 3DS? I'm thinking about getting a Wii U sometime this year, should I just wait and get it on the WiiU instead?
I would get the 3DS Circle pad pro for the second analog stick if you go the 3DS route. Helps give it that Wii U feel. If you're interested in MH4U then you should definitely just go the 3DS way to prepare yourself.

That said, the game is pretty baller on the Wii U and looks great.

spronk

FPS noob
speaking of 3ds if you have a kid or are really into streetpass, its cool setting up a router as a streetpass relay. I set one up two weeks ago using an extra wrt54gl I had, using the ssid attwifi (passworded) and having it as a bridge to my "real" wifi ssid. Using DD-WRT with a cron job, every 5 minutes it swaps to a new macID so basically every 6 minutes it gives out 6 new streetpasses to any 3ds's in my house. Here's the thread on how to do it:
http://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-ha...-relay.352645/

You can also try with a phone using tethered wifi, a PC, a router that can run openwrt/DD-WRT, and probably more. Hundreds of streetpasses a day if you really want.