Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I'm not much of a mobile gamer, so the fact that it's the size of a Winnebago when detached doesn't bother me too much (I'd probably use it on a plane or a long car ride or something). But I do like the core Nintendo games that they always release, so that alone will probably be enough for me to buy the system just to play it on my TV, depending on the price point.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Heian

Molten Core Raider
So the dock boost the power of the handheld like the razer thing on laptop? If yes they could release more powerfull dock...

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
I doubt the release version's dock will include extra power, but they did patent that capability a few months ago so I could see it in the future.

Difference between Wii U and Switch 3rd party launch support:

• 1Like

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I like the 3rd party image, especially seeing From Software on there but i'll believe that once something gets released.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I think it looks cool. It's perfect for the Japan market at the very least. If all the games run at 1080p on the big screen sign me up. If it's $400 though don't sign me up. This needs to be at $300.

spronk

FPS noob
probably $349 at launch with no bundled games, $299 in holiday season with a bundled game.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Sounds kinda expensive especially since you'll need another 50 for a non garbage gamepad, but I guess if you already have a Wii U normal one you might not need to buy one right away. Also have to see what kind of memory it has if you need a SSD or whatever.

I'll buy depending on the games anyway, if there isn't a bunch I'll probably wait a year or two. I bought my PS4 to play Bloodborne and it was quite a waste of money(even though that was quite a while after launch) since I pretty much didn't use it for anything else the entire time until the first major price cut. Could have just bought it later.

I am however excited to see some of the 3DS IPs coming to a TV console. Looking forward to Etrian/DQ/Bravely/Ace Attorney/Monster Hunter shit on a large screen. Way more excited about these than even Nintendo games(although that new Zelda does look fucking good).

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
This is going to live or die by the battery life in tablet mode and how serious the actual 3rd party support for AAA titles is.

Have there been any specs in terms of power in full console mode yet?

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
This would be my price guess break down:

Tablet w/ the 2 shit controllers - $400
TV Dock - $100
Pro Controller - $60

No Game Included, outside of complete 'bundles'
Not saying you are wrong, but if that is the case, then this thing is more fucked than the WiiU was. That price point will be way too high for pretty much everyone that has one or more of PS4/Xbone/PC. They absolutely must keep this thing in the 299 range, if not 250 to be honest.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
why would anybody buy this shit? Is there any other functionality apart from playing video games?

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Unimpressed, and honestly after the whole New3DS garbage(didn't include charging cable, and was also a whole new connector), the TV Dock will probably be seperate....

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Aren't console "mods" for Skyrim only allowed to just re-use existing assets anyways? I wouldn't see why Nintendo would care about that. I also don't know why someone would want to play a Bethesda game on console but thats a different argument.
That's the case for PS4, but I think the Xbone was allowing new assets.

Anyways, the console looks interesting, and a potentially good way for Nintendo to bring together their console and handheld businesses, but the problem remains the games. I can't keep buying a console for the sake of playing Zelda and Smash, then let it collect dust while I wait in vain for another game worth a damn to show up. Show me a library that's worth a shit, and I'll consider buying.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
I'm hoping that since they don't have to make one game for two different systems (like they did with NSMB, Smash, etc), it'll free up some of Nintendo's developers to maybe bring back some older franchises (Advance Wars, Punch Out, F-Zero, etc). Bringing all of Nintendo's titles under one roof should help a lot with droughts and shit. I also think that Japan is going to be all over this thing's dick. I still don't expect much from Western devs, however. Nintendo should try to get Dark Souls, Tales of, Kingdom Hearts, etc on the system.

As for being a console that can be made portable being a gimmick... I think it's a pretty fucking cool gimmick. But as a guy that likes playing portable games, I might be biased.

I also suspect that this is just one incarnation of the "Switch." I bet we'll eventually see a version without the screen for those who never play on the go (stationary version), and a smaller version with non-removable controller bits for those who want a more portable version. Iwata and other Nintendo devs did state that it was going to be a "family" of systems like I devices.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Pricing for cart style games has come down though, but I think there still gonna run into problems it is a over sized 1 screen 3DS, and honestly it will probably be a hit in Japan cause mobile gaming is a massive thing over there, but in the US it's gonna bomb...

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Pricing for cart style games has come down though, but I think there still gonna run into problems it is a over sized 1 screen 3DS, and honestly it will probably be a hit in Japan cause mobile gaming is a massive thing over there, but in the US it's gonna bomb...

Like the 3DS XL?

Wait.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I don't know if I'd even call this one a gimmicky, to me they took a step in the right direction. Being able to haul this thing over to my GF's house is going to make being over there much more bearable. I'm pretty excited to get one.

The only thing I see crushing it is games support/pricing. If it comes out to 1k bucks for all the shit you need to play at home, on the go, etc. then it will fail.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
anything over $300 and this piec of trash is dead in the water.

• 1Like

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
While I'll definitely be buying one for the Nintendo first party shit, I'm not impressed.

The tiny controllers look ridiculous. It seems to me all the power of the system is in the tablet, so you HAVE to dock it to play on a tv. So no more 2nd screen for gaming? I actually think it was fairly useful for things like inventory screens and shit.

What's the point of making it multi-touch if you can't use it while docked?

Anyone else afraid the dock will end up scratching the tablets screen?

Kenadul

Golden Knight of the Realm
I can't say I'm impressed so far, I have always gotten the latest Nintendo console once smash brothers came out and played it and a few other first party tittles, but I may have to pass on this one. Kids are going to be breaking those little side controller connectors and the stand left and right. The right side detachable controller control sticks proximity to the buttons is hilarious. Gonna need a scary movie strong hand sized hand to use that thing.

• 1Like