Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Boogie is probably not as funny since his "Error 37" days but I thought it was actually pretty close to an accurate depiction of the problems with Nintendo's line of thinking more so than a joke.

Just thought some would find the humor in the video based on some of the conversations in this thread.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
You do realize that is just a character (Francis) right? It's a parody.

I mean but his real self is even more insufferable. He is like masterclass fence sitter. "Oh gosh geez I realize someone just stabbed someone else but are they really bad people? I won't judge!"

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Hey guys! At a mall in Munich. Went to the game shop. Saw 12 switches. Asked the guy "good???" In broken English, "no good" and made a spitting sound again. Then pointed at the ps pro.

Munich thinks the switch sucks!

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Just in from the Nintendo financials

Switch is at 4.7 million

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/fin...oft/index.html

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is at 3.54 million

Zelda BotW Switch is at 3.92 million

ARMS is at 1.18 million

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/fin...are/index.html

copy and pasted from neogaf

Yikes. If they don't generate any momentum, devs will just ignore it and if no games are coming out people will wait to buy in. Especially with disasters like no network platform and no voice chat but giving people the expectation to use it in games. Seems like a race to the bottom.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Splatoon 2 sold 650k in 3 days in Japan, and 100k Switches sold alongside it. That's an over 400% increase in first week sales over Splatoon 1, on a smaller install base. Game is gonna be huge in Japan, should easily surpass Splatoon 1 sales by the end of the year.

It's safe to say the Switch has surpassed 5 million worldwide sales as well with July numbers - they had a big hardware bump for Splatoon 2 launch, including a new bundle SKU.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
5M isn't bad, think that lines up with their most recent estimate (which itself is higher than their initial estimate).

They really need to third parties that are producing for the 3ds to move over to Switch somehow. They start getting the games that the 3ds is getting now and I think Switch will keep selling.

Odds of that seem pretty low though. Maybe for first party games that will be the case though

For reference, 3DS shipped ~6.7M in its first 6 months. The 6 month mark for switch is still a bit over a month away. 3DS sales took off the next three months which was the holiday sales. Switch will also see a bump then, but I highly doubt to the extent that the 3ds did

Last edited:

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
It's getting the next mainline Pokemon, that's really the only 3DS developer they need to push units. We also know Atlus has two Switch games in the works, including Shin Megami Tensei 5. The other two big 3DS developers are Level-5 and Capcom. We don't know the future plans for handheld Monster Hunter but I don't see Capcom abandoning the biggest market, even with Monster Hunter World coming to PS4.

The main problem is they are competing with Apple for production lines on LCDs and NAND storage (from Japan Display and Toshiba, among others) in their lead up to the iPhone 8 this fall. It's why Nintendo only estimates 10 mil sold this fiscal year - they can't secure enough components to increase production beyond what it is now. This wasn't an issue they had with the 3DS.

3DS sales were pretty abysmal (compared to DS) until they did the price cut right before the holidays in 2011, along with some key 3DS games finally releasing. The first 9 months were pretty rough.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
It's getting the next mainline Pokemon, that's really the only 3DS developer they need to push units. We also know Atlus has two Switch games in the works, including Shin Megami Tensei 5. The other two big 3DS developers are Level-5 and Capcom. We don't know the future plans for handheld Monster Hunter but I don't see Capcom abandoning the biggest market, even with Monster Hunter World coming to PS4.

The main problem is they are competing with Apple for production lines on LCDs and NAND storage (from Japan Display and Toshiba, among others) in their lead up to the iPhone 8 this fall. It's why Nintendo only estimates 10 mil sold this fiscal year - they can't secure enough components to increase production beyond what it is now. This wasn't an issue they had with the 3DS.

3DS sales were pretty abysmal (compared to DS) until they did the price cut right before the holidays in 2011, along with some key 3DS games finally releasing. The first 9 months were pretty rough.

The price cut was in August, not right before holidays.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Not really relevant, it was before the holidays is all I'm saying. Sales didn't pick up until Super Mario 3D Land in November and Mario Kart 7 in December - it's only notable game until then was Zelda OoT 3D in June.

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
Now I want a netflix series where Ut travels the world to ask locals about nintendo products. You could just tag along with one of those food show crews.

• 6Worf
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Smuggly
Reactions: 8 users

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
It's funny that any random group of people that have owned a NES -> N64 could more than likely tell them in 5 minutes or less how to fix the majority of their issues. That's my only problem with Nintendo. They really don't have to be this stupid. Understandably I have a Switch and games, our family loves them, but that's just us and what we are going to do more than likely with most Nintendo products but no matter if you're a fanboy or not, you cannot deny that their decisions are really unnecessarily ignorant.

You release the Switch with 5-10 titles, primarily consisting of their bread and butter titles, with an online service anywhere reminiscent of any gaming service of the last decade and boom.... 2x or 3x the money.

Could you imagine if they would have waited and released the Switch with Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Smash, Star Fox, F-Zero, Splatoon 2, etc. and gave you Mario Kart 8 Deluxe with the console? or at least 1-2 Switch?

In other news.....

Hi _________________,

Thank you for your interest in the Super Nintendo Entertainment System – Classic Edition. As you are aware, this is a highly sought after console that will launch later this fall.

Unfortunately, due to a technical glitch, the Super Nintendo Classic Edition was mistakenly made available last Friday evening ahead of the official release date. We, regrettably, will have to cancel this item on your order. We know that this is incredibly disappointing to you, and we’re truly sorry for this mistake.

In regards to the cancellation of this item, if you paid by credit card, your card has not been charged. Any authorization holds placed on your account will automatically expire in accordance with the card issuer's policy. If you paid through PayPal or with a gift card, your payment will be refunded when the order is cancelled.

The official launch date for this item is 9/29, please check the product page on Walmart.com prior to that date for any updates.

I do hope you’ll give us another chance to earn back your business.

Warm regards,
Deserie Dulaney
Sr. Director Customer Care
Walmart.com

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
It's funny that any random group of people that have owned a NES -> N64 could more than likely tell them in 5 minutes or less how to fix the majority of their issues. That's my only problem with Nintendo. They really don't have to be this stupid. Understandably I have a Switch and games, our family loves them, but that's just us and what we are going to do more than likely with most Nintendo products but no matter if you're a fanboy or not, you cannot deny that their decisions are really unnecessarily ignorant.

You release the Switch with 5-10 titles, primarily consisting of their bread and butter titles, with an online service anywhere reminiscent of any gaming service of the last decade and boom.... 2x or 3x the money.

Could you imagine if they would have waited and released the Switch with Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Smash, Star Fox, F-Zero, Splatoon 2, etc. and gave you Mario Kart 8 Deluxe with the console?

To do that they would have to sit on a fully developed game for at least a year for a console that hasn't released just so they can release them all at once with the console. Sounds like a terrible idea

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Yeah Nintendo is mostly selling as many Switch as they can make, and they can't make as many as they want. Delaying the console wouldn't make much sense. This way they get to sell it to early adopters while they ramp up for the Holidays.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
I'm honestly gonna be amazed if nintendo breaks even off there "online" endeavor..... god what a pile of shit.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user