Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
I love how this gets placed on Samsung/Apple tin foil. These idiots had plenty of time before the iPhone 8 hit full production (June 2017) to ramp up production. Instead, they were morons. Nintendo can blame Nintendo. Not Apple. Not Samsung. Not Anyone else. (If it is even true in the first place... )

LCD company going out of business? Japan Display Inc isn't going anywhere. They restructured due to losses because of Apple screwing them over, not because of Nintendo. They cut a 3rd of their work force, which was overbloated to begin with at 16k. So now it's down to 11-12k. And one production line because it was cheaper to move it to China.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Yeah just ignore all the articles about Toshiba (one of the biggest makers of NAND chips) having to sell their NAND memory manufacturing arm because their close to bankruptcy from other parts of their company. All while trying to keep it operational to keep pumping out chips under massive demand.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Are you claiming contingency planning for a logistics chain isn't part of a robust business model?

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Yeah just ignore all the articles about Toshiba (one of the biggest makers of NAND chips) having to sell their NAND memory manufacturing arm because their close to bankruptcy from other parts of their company. All while trying to keep it operational to keep pumping out chips under massive demand.

1395730162948.jpg

Palum just beat me to it.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Are you claiming contingency planning for a logistics chain isn't part of a robust business model?

What is the contingency plan? Having some other form of internal storage aside from NAND chips? That was locked into the design 2+ years ago when they started development on the Switch.

This is an industry wide issue, and a pretty recent one. They can't throw money at it to fix.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Well suppliers fail or have issues all the time.

Do you think if the seatbelt maker for Ford goes out of business they just stop making cars?

Shitty business plan of you have one supplier period... We're not even talking DR scenarios here, just bad contracts/loss of revenue forcing a restructuring = complete failure in the supply chain.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
So ManOwarr what about Intel, Sandisk, Toshiba, Micron, SK Hynix? And those are just the top 5 other than Samsung.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
They don't just have one supplier. They aren't only getting NAND from Toshiba - that is just the one of the bigger suppliers. The problem is the global supply right now is maxed out, and it can't meet the current demand. It's limited by both the mining of rare earth metals, and the production lines to actually manufacture the chips.

I'm sure the industry has some long term goal to fix it (like building more fabrication facilities), but that's not going to help Nintendo right now. It's not affecting Nintendo alone either. It's the reason that SSD prices have been stable or gone up in the last 2 years, for example. In the grand scheme of things, Nintendo is a pretty minor player in this issue.

Last edited:

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Why would they produce more Ut? They already are planning on making 10M this year and you don't think they will sell all of those, why hurry?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Why would they produce more Ut? They already are planning on making 10M this year and you don't think they will sell all of those, why hurry?

I was going to post this same thing. It actually doesn't matter. Shit is collecting dust. Over 500 in the twin cities and surrounding metro area collecting dust on shelves. If I were them I wouldn't make any more either. Walmart can't even sell them.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Just for you Ut, target by me that supposedly had some in stock last time I had checked

IMG_0202.JPG

• 2Worf

Delly

Trakanon Raider
So maybe people in big cities are less likely to buy a console that is usually young family oriented compared to smaller cities and rural areas? On top of that I'm sure more are sent to bigger cities.

Gotta think bigger. Or not. Whatever.

• 1Worf

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
So maybe people in big cities are less likely to buy a console that is usually young family oriented compared to smaller cities and rural areas? On top of that I'm sure more are sent to bigger cities.

Gotta think bigger. Or not. Whatever.

My rural Walmart always has a few on the shelf.

• 1Like

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
I checked stock of stores online. Target refuses to display console stock (cocksuckers), Walmart has it in stock ONLY as a bundle with faggoty Splatoon, ToysRUs is out of them, Best Buy has it in a couple of stores in poorer areas, GameStop has them in a number of stores. So I could get it if I tried.

One or both of these is true:
- Nintendo is actually fucking awful at production logistics
- Nintendo's reputation for not being able to produce worth a shit has led to scalpers prolonging their stock issues

Either way, I think I'll just borrow one from a friend to play Zelda when he's tired of it.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I checked stock of stores online. Target refuses to display console stock (cocksuckers), Walmart has it in stock ONLY as a bundle with faggoty Splatoon, ToysRUs is out of them, Best Buy has it in a couple of stores in poorer areas, GameStop has them in a number of stores. So I could get it if I tried.

One or both of these is true:
- Nintendo is actually fucking awful at production logistics
- Nintendo's reputation for not being able to produce worth a shit has led to scalpers prolonging their stock issues

Either way, I think I'll just borrow one from a friend to play Zelda when he's tired of it.

What state are you in? Or Country?

spronk

FPS noob
I am an expert on Minnesota from watching 3 seasons of Fargo and I believe the reason the switch isn't popular there is because people are too busy murdering each other to play a gay game like splatoon

now if nintendo announces Wood Chipper 2018 as a switch exclusive all those consoles will sell out immediately

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users