Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
It replaces the WiiU, not the PS4. There's that confusing moniker that Nintendo is in anyway directly competing with Sony or Microsoft. They're only competing with their previous selves.

Yeah completely understood for us - was mainly talking about the general public who won't know any better based off Nintendo's marketing messaging.

That has ALWAYS been a problem for them though because they simply will not listen to NOA.

I have also read a LOT of awesome ideas from things that could have been in Zelda BOTW and the upcoming Mario that Miyamoto just shoots down like an iron fist. I am starting to think the real issue with Nintendo may come down to a few jackasses within the organization itself in their hierarchy. I now know for a fact (Yes a fact this time) that Nintendo of America told them they needed to make sure the Switch was ready for launch with standard features before launch or reap the consequences and they didn't listen. Also sounds like NOA didn't want to have any part of the Classics either, and wanted to move forward with a subscription for online services which included backlogs of NES games (To start) for $59 a year, and also pleaded with NOJ to put the online service on the system itself... So... It does really seem like there is a constant battle of common sense with NOA and complete idiocy with the NOJ folks. Which, frankly, doesn't surprise me.

At least it is a good thing that at least a solid group of people at NOA know what the hell they are doing, but they are getting railroaded.

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
It replaces the WiiU, not the PS4. There's that confusing moniker that Nintendo is in anyway directly competing with Sony or Microsoft. They're only competing with their previous selves.

Are you trying to convince him or yourself? Of course Nintendo is competing with Sony and Microsoft. They make consoles to play games on. When the NPD comes out and a bunch of Nintendo fans run to forums to tell us all how the Switch outsold the PS4 last month why do you think that is? It's only when people hit Nintendo with the underpowered or no third party stuff that these same people come back with "not competing".

Gimme a break.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Are you trying to convince him or yourself? Of course Nintendo is competing with Sony and Microsoft. They make consoles to play games on. When the NPD comes out and a bunch of Nintendo fans run to forums to tell us all how the Switch outsold the PS4 last month why do you think that is? It's only when people hit Nintendo with the underpowered or no third party stuff that these same people come back with "not competing".

Gimme a break.

Not a matter of convincing anything or anyone. They may look and act like they are, but let's be honest, are they really? Their system is vastly out powered by both, now you have the enhanced versions of the Xbox one and PS4, furthering that gap, and the game lineups aren't even in the same league. And the Switch only has one thing they don't - handheld portability. What was the last console that had that? The fuckin WiiU.

It's like the xbox/ps4 vs PC argument. They're on two completely different levels, even though they both "play games".

Also, I'm not in any way comparing the two markets, nor do I give a shit if one outsold the other. We're in a market where folks are buying both for vastly different reasons. It's not like the days of the SNES and Genesis.

Mind you I'm also not defending Nintendo. They've made some shit decisions (again, since they told Sony to fuck off and made the N64 and its terribly designed boomerang), and the commentary about NOJ vs NOA is on fucking point.

To me, the Switch is competing with its own company. You can compare it to the WiiU and the 3DS. It in no way directly competes with the X1/PS4 without being laughed at unless you take into account 1st party games that don't exist anywhere else. That's, sadly, but also kind of Nintendo's thing, all that it has going for it.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Just because they can't compete doesn't mean they aren't competing for market share and dolla dollas.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Therage

Vyemm Raider
Just because they can't compete doesn't mean they aren't competing for market share and dolla dollas.

I bet if they wanted to compete with the power they could. It's not like they haven't released the more powerful systems before aka GameCube (also not saying they didn't shoot themselves in the foot to prevent piracy) . But they tend to stick to the 200-300 price point pretty hard. Iirc the only console sold at a loss was the wiiu, unlike every other console released. Although I'm not sure if the switch is sold at a loss or not to be honest.

I think Nintendo just does Nintendo shit, they just release solid first party games that sometimes rival blizzards time tables. And own the handheld market. Every company that has released consoles has fucked up hard at one point or another. Sega did it enough to not make them anymore, Sony learned from the ps3,Microsoft is learning that now. Nintendo has made mistakes, many of them but they get by based on first party titles and handheld.

That being said all things equal, Nintendo can't compete with Sony and MS right now anyways without a shit load of capital to get a great network setup going to compete. No matter if they had the most powerful console on the market or not.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I bet if they wanted to compete with the power they could. It's not like they haven't released the more powerful systems before aka GameCube (also not saying they didn't shoot themselves in the foot to prevent piracy) . But they tend to stick to the 200-300 price point pretty hard. Iirc the only console sold at a loss was the wiiu, unlike every other console released. Although I'm not sure if the switch is sold at a loss or not to be honest.

I think Nintendo just does Nintendo shit, they just release solid first party games that sometimes rival blizzards time tables. And own the handheld market. Every company that has released consoles has fucked up hard at one point or another. Sega did it enough to not make them anymore, Sony learned from the ps3,Microsoft is learning that now. Nintendo has made mistakes, many of them but they get by based on first party titles and handheld.

That being said all things equal, Nintendo can't compete with Sony and MS right now anyways without a shit load of capital to get a great network setup going to compete. No matter if they had the most powerful console on the market or not.

The 200-300 price point is meaningless now though. Games are still $60. Look at their outrageous accessory and peripheral prices. Absolutely not cheaper than mainstream console anymore.

The only reason you save money is because there's a lot less to buy since there's maybe 4-5 games per Nintendo console generation worth purchasing at full retail.

Therage

Vyemm Raider
The 200-300 price point is meaningless now though. Games are still $60. Look at their outrageous accessory and peripheral prices. Absolutely not cheaper than mainstream console anymore.

The only reason you save money is because there's a lot less to buy since there's maybe 4-5 games per Nintendo console generation worth purchasing at full retail.

I'm not saying your wrong about the price point, just pointing out that they make money in hardware sales most of the time where as others don't. And unlike Sony and MS they don't have the back up from other departments to fill in the losses until royalties come into play. I think they are super leary of doing that and potentially sinking their ship.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
and the commentary about NOJ vs NOA is on fucking point.

Thank Christ. I thought for a second we could have another pile on like when I called mcquaid full of shit after he went apeshit on vanguard.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I bet if they wanted to compete with the power they could.

Let’s stop right there Vicki. They cannot even let you save your god damn games to a memory card outside of internal memory because their last security check let MILLIONS hack their OWN ONLINE STORE and download anything they fucking wanted. LOGGED IN. Let that sink in for a bit.

Conpete with Sony or Xbox with real hardware and a real online service when with the Wii U people added a quick hack and could download anything off the store while ONLINe and logged in to their account and Nintendo didn’t know what the fuck was going on?????

Clueless doesn’t even fucking describe NOJ. They can’t compete. They look for suckers to buy their early access shit.

Last edited:

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Oh and they made 12 bucks a fucking system. Maybe they should concentrate on the shit NOA told them too. 59 a year. Zero fucking cost because they use the same damn Roms on the internet they use in their classics. They own the Ips. Zero cost. VC. Zero cost aside from two idiots who can eat sushi for 19 hours for Seven weeks and steal an emulator and integrate it with the op system. That may cost about .004 per system.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Here's how switch would have been a knockout system:

1) Bluetooth audio support at launch (lol)
2) Working online account system (lol)
3) Ability to save games on SD card, can login online and swap in SD card on any Switch (ie, everything purchased/unlocked is online/cloud storage)
4) VC at launch with a bunch of cheap roms, especially from 3DS
5) non-faggot peripheral pricing
*BONUS*) Produce units

That's pretty much it. None of this is 'new'. All it needed was function that other systems have had for basically a decade at this point. There are plenty of other Utnayan level autistic criticisms of the device, but it would at least function for a huge audience and I would have personally bought it just for the VC (mostly 3DS replacement).

But at this point, that's going to be a refresh. SwitchXL may be fine. Too bad Nintendumb is so slow it'll be out in 2021 at this rate.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Oh and those royalties you mentioned? Why the fuck do you think all those indie games on the switch are double the price.

Therage

Vyemm Raider
I said in my post that they can't compete with them online. They don't have experience and or the tech for it. They might have a chance with power, not this Gen obviously, but next gen if they wanted to. None of the talk of power was referring to the switch. Just in general.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
eh if all Nintendo is going to do is portable style systems now, power's out(at least till batteries get better(Nano-Carbon)) but even then there still out *shrug*

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I said in my post that they can't compete with them online. They don't have experience and or the tech for it. They might have a chance with power, not this Gen obviously, but next gen if they wanted to. None of the talk of power was referring to the switch. Just in general.

Lol compete? It's good god damn 2017. I was playing fully featured 3D games online 22 years ago. 10 years ago the average consumer gained access to 3D mobile games on their telephone.

I don't think it's hard to say it's worse than "not having the experience or tech", they've been negligent. We're talking a mother fucking e-store with an account system which you can make for a few hundred bucks using common web authoring toolkits. This isn't rocket surgery, they're incompetent.

I wouldn't be surprised if they still had a coaling station and water tower at their HQ to run their steam locomotive into town to make deliveries. Jesus.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Oh and those royalties you mentioned? Why the fuck do you think all those indie games on the switch are double the price.
Link on the numbers? I’m sure it used to be that way, but I would be surprised if it still was.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Link on the numbers? I’m sure it used to be that way, but I would be surprised if it still was.

He's aint got jack. Nintendo takes the same cut as every other console storefront. Prices for indies are higher because the smart Indie publishers saw an opportunity to get their games onto the front page of storefront with few games - and they could charge full price too because Switch owners were looking for games to buy. It won't last forever, but it's a heyday for Indies right now - and since Switch supports Unity and Unreal the ports were quick and painless for a high return.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
He's aint got jack. Nintendo takes the same cut as every other console storefront. Prices for indies are higher because the smart Indie publishers saw an opportunity to get their games onto the front page of storefront with few games - and they could charge full price too because Switch owners were looking for games to buy. It won't last forever, but it's a heyday for Indies right now - and since Switch supports Unity and Unreal the ports were quick and painless for a high return.

That’s such bullshit. You know Nintendo takes a higher percentage than any other manufacture and it’s always been like this. It’s called the Nintendo tax. And everyone launching games on the platform knows it. Indie has no other alternative to charge higher unless they strike a deal with Nintendo to bring a game to the platform. They alienated damn near every publisher in the SNES/n64 era and the practice continues.

As sales outside of Japan continue to take a shit, we will see more price parity as Nintendo starts to shit their pants.

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
Ended up double dipping (triple if you count the freebie from Xbox Gold a year or two ago) and picked up Rayman Legends for Switch since it was on sale for $23 at Best Buy. Plan on playing the shit out of it while my car is worked on tomorrow for 2-3 hours. I got the Switch for my kids getting straight A's and steal it when I have to travel cross country (or have crap like car repairs being done) and it has been great for that but outside of Zelda I don't think anyone in the family has used it on the TV. Probably will change with Mario next week and again when Xenoblade comes out but after that not sure, maybe when the next version of Smash shows up. Side note I am incredibly disappointed my 2 youngest girls are addicted to Stardew Valley on the Switch but hated it on the PC. I feel I have failed as a father to them.

KCXIV

Molten Core Raider
probably because they like playing Stardew Valley on a handheld rather then looking at a monitor. I know i play when im in bed at night before i pass out.