Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
Anyone have any input that might help me make a mobile gaming decision? I currently have a DS with a few games, and while I use it off and on, the size + resolution just never really sucks me in. I've been thinking of grabbing a switch, but outside of zelda.. none of the games I've seen have really been must haves. I've also been told the resolutions not great, and battery life is bad (I haven't really looked into it much though) which, considering I want something exclusively for mobile gaming, might not be the best.

Now, my job just told me I could get a new laptop, which I can pick out. So, as long as it's not called "gamemaster 2000" or something like that, I could just get a great laptop and have hundreds of steam games available. Which sounds great, but I've used laptops on planes before and found having adequate space an issue (I did have a massive 17 pound laptop at the time though).

So, I don't know, I'm too indecisive, what do you guys think?

spronk

FPS noob
switch is pretty good, graphics look great for a portable - sure its 720p but thats way better than the 3DS 188p or whatever. Battery life is 3 hours. So thats probably a problem, unless your flights are not super long. It is USB-C as well so airplane sockets and shit that work off microUSB or apple lightning will need adapters. It has a larger growing library but yeah its pretty much BOTW, Mario Kart, Super Mario, Rabbids, and a few indie games as the must haves.

If work will pay for a razer blade its a great gaming laptop, 1060 card and under 1" thick and 4 lbs so not too bad to lug around, get the 1080p screen not the 4k screen. Infinite steam gaming
Gaming Laptop -The New Razer Blade

Another option for more casual gaming is a tablet

There are a few Nintendo DS like Win10 machines like the GPD WIN but i'm not really sure how good they are and it just seems better to buy a switch and a win10 laptop or tablet
https://www.amazon.com/DroidBOX-Aluminum-Version-X7-Z8750-Portable/dp/B01MFB2V89

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
I mean, Switch has the highest resolution screen out of the handhelds right now, it's just that not every game runs at native res on it. I'd say go 3DS since it has a huge library but buying a 240p handheld in 2017 seems like a bad idea. Can't recommend the Vita at all, it's basically for niche JRPGs.

Honestly if your company is willing to shell out for a nice laptop I'd go that route.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
As long as your company doesn't have a no installed uncertified software on the laptop, get the laptop.

Darph

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Anyone have any input that might help me make a mobile gaming decision? I currently have a DS with a few games, and while I use it off and on, the size + resolution just never really sucks me in. I've been thinking of grabbing a switch, but outside of zelda.. none of the games I've seen have really been must haves. I've also been told the resolutions not great, and battery life is bad (I haven't really looked into it much though) which, considering I want something exclusively for mobile gaming, might not be the best.

Now, my job just told me I could get a new laptop, which I can pick out. So, as long as it's not called "gamemaster 2000" or something like that, I could just get a great laptop and have hundreds of steam games available. Which sounds great, but I've used laptops on planes before and found having adequate space an issue (I did have a massive 17 pound laptop at the time though).

So, I don't know, I'm too indecisive, what do you guys think?

Switch or New 3ds - Switch is obviously the new hotness, but the 3ds has the best game catalog around. You should be able to snag one on craigslist for under $150 and it'll play your DS games.

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
I must have seen some screenshots of the Wii u display or something, 720p should be more than fine for gaming on the go. I'm guessing there are charging on the go options for the switch as well, because yeah, 3 hours isn't enough really. My daily commute is 2 hours, trips are typically at least 7.

I wouldn't want to risk asking for a Razer product at work, that just screams "this is for games not hard work!" to me. I would just end up getting an Hp with a graphics card in it or something.

I looked at tablets some, a few guys recently got SurfacePro's and they looked nice, but a quick Google search told me they were terrible for games. I didn't see another tablet that fared better really either, because yeah, my initial thought was tablet & Bluetooth ps4 controllermight just Trump a switch.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
If you are traveling 7 hours nothing is gonna work for you while gaming unless you can plug it in

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
I suppose that's right. Still, if my options are between 5 hours and 3 hours it's something to consider. Fair point though.

Sarrow

<Gold Donor>
I suppose that's right. Still, if my options are between 5 hours and 3 hours it's something to consider. Fair point though.

Get work to buy you a Dell XPS or something similar and pick up the Switch yourself. Win-win imo.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I am getting excited, only 16 days until I give my kids the Switch and I get to play Zelda :D

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
I am getting excited, only 16 days until I give my kids the Switch and I get to play Zelda :D

That's why I got one initially, but Zelda hooked me completely. I still play Xenoblade 2 on it now, and they play Mario co-op and Mario Kart sometimes. They wanted an Xbox One for Christmas so they could play Forza, so I'll have even more time for the expansion pass content in Zelda soon.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Switch battery life can last longer (or less) than 3 hours depending on the game. I've got one of those Anker power packs for trips - if you get a good one the Switch actually gains charge while plugged into one.

Ramar

Lord Nagafen Raider
Switch battery life can last longer (or less) than 3 hours depending on the game. I've got one of those Anker power packs for trips - if you get a good one the Switch actually gains charge while plugged into one.

Yep, my Switch lasted roughly five hours playing Stardew Valley while traveling for work.

Bruuce

Blackwing Lair Raider
Just did a 3.5 hour road trip and the kid was playing stardew the while time. Switch was at 48% when we got to our destination

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
Ok, think I'm sold on the "Why not both?" plan at this point, haha. Now... to get a switch now.. or wait for some cool bundle that's no doubt around the corner. Metroid Themed Switch maybe?!

spronk

FPS noob
Ok, think I'm sold on the "Why not both?" plan at this point, haha. Now... to get a switch now.. or wait for some cool bundle that's no doubt around the corner. Metroid Themed Switch maybe?!

nintendo doesn't seem very interested in bundles for switch in year 1 and probably year 2. The mario bundle simply is a regular switch with the game and the only "special" thing being a red case included. I'm sure we'll eventually get to tons and tons of skins on switches and docks but it seems like they don't wanna do that for the moment. There aren't any real solid dates for switch releases either for the first half of 2018 beyond niche stuff like bayonetta 1/2 and Kirby so I doubt you'll see any interesting bundles until the second half of 2018.

Its actually a pretty sweet time hardware wise - the xbox one X is not gonna be revamped anytime soon, Oculus Rift has already confirmed there will be no new hardware revisions in 2018, I think Sony has said the same thing about PSVR, and Nintendo doesn't seem that interested in any hardware changes for at least another year or two. Even if Sony wants to put out a new PS5 its not gonna be for at least another 12 months, probably longer.