Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

Needless

Toe Sucker
it doesn't really change anything though, all the DS games saved as soon as you pick-up item/kill enemy, just seems now they made an actual "save" option, probably cause of the portable mode.

the game remembering you got your drake sword, versus being able to save outside of a boss' fog door is a big difference homie lol

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Yeah that's pretty dumb tbh. I guess it's good for the crybabies who wanted an easy mode though.

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
I could see them offering like a one time save state where it let's you save and it exits to title than when you reload it deletes the save. Save anywhere with infinite reloads seems anti souls.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I could see them offering like a one time save state where it let's you save and it exits to title than when you reload it deletes the save. Save anywhere with infinite reloads seems anti souls.
I would imagine that's what they're doing. That's basically how it works now. You can 'exit game' and you come back right where you left off.

spronk

FPS noob
mario rabbids is gonna be $29.99 / $23 with GCU at best buy tomorrow 3/25 for a week

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
the game remembering you got your drake sword, versus being able to save outside of a boss' fog door is a big difference homie lol

This "save" option changes absolutely nothing in the game, you've always had access to save/quit anywhere, even in boss fights.(the game just puts you right outside of the fog gate)

Also if anyone is using a 3rd party dock for charging get rid of it. Third-Party Nintendo Switch Docks Could Be Bricking Consoles

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
i was considering how amazing it is for nintendo to have missed the esports boat pretty much entirely, but they actually seem to have missed the online thing pretty much entirely

"Miyamoto says Nintendo didn't focus on online because it "would have limited the size of the audience that could enjoy those features" (2013)

5 years later their online features are poor, their store got hacked and is serving as a free ROM server, along with having cheaters online

its incredible they are still around, mistakes were made

Needless

Toe Sucker
Nintendo is like feudal japan refusing to get with the times, it's actually pretty sad at this point lol

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Waiting for the day that Nintendo has too sell IP rights just to stay afloat, I have a strange feeling Metroid will be one of the first ones(it has never done well in Japan, it's always been an "across the pond" seller for them)

but strange feeling that the "switch" might be there last try at hardware, them trying to play in two pools at once is destroying them.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
I mean the Switch is on pace to surpass the Wii in sales at this point. Once Pokemon is released it's over.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I mean the Switch is on pace to surpass the Wii in sales at this point. Once Pokemon is released it's over.
When they announced the Switch I laughed as hard as anyone at how ridiculous a handheld console was in the era of cellphones. I've had a Switch since Christmas and begrudgingly admit that it's pretty awesome. Of course it leaves much to be desired, and Nintendo was very forward thinking and left PLENTY of room for improvement, but nonetheless, here we are.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
What improvements ? they've already tapped out the system, with having to seperate online from it. The only thing they could do is actually o IDK build a real fucking online system. They are in the stone age as far as that is concerned, and with the release of this Team Executor mod chip soon(I'm very curios if they've gotten the store hacked like the 3DS/WiiU).

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
The entire online system is pretty barebones because DeNA has been building a completely new one since before the Switch was even was announced. I assume it will launch concurrently with the paid online subscription stuff in the Fall. Hopefully it includes the Virtual Console, Twitch, YouTube, Netflix and all the other apps that were on the Wii U.

Nintendo has Gamecube emulation running on the new nVidia mobile device that launched in China that also uses the Tegra X1 so we should see it on the Switch VC as well.

spronk

FPS noob
i turned wifi off on my switch with system firmware 4.1.0 in place, at this point i'm only playing carts and no online or updates. They are pretty close to getting a CFW running on 3.x and everyone says 4.1.0 has enough known exploits that it should be jail breakable easy too. 5.0 fixes most (all?) of the exploits so if you update to that it may be harder or impossible to jail break your Switch.

Its not a big deal for me at the moment since I still haven't played BOTW, Super Mario Odyssey, or Rabbids so those 3 will last me the rest of this year. Hopefully some CFW announcements happen in the next 1-2 months though.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
i turned wifi off on my switch with system firmware 4.1.0 in place, at this point i'm only playing carts and no online or updates. They are pretty close to getting a CFW running on 3.x and everyone says 4.1.0 has enough known exploits that it should be jail breakable easy too. 5.0 fixes most (all?) of the exploits so if you update to that it may be harder or impossible to jail break your Switch.

Its not a big deal for me at the moment since I still haven't played BOTW, Super Mario Odyssey, or Rabbids so those 3 will last me the rest of this year. Hopefully some CFW announcements happen in the next 1-2 months though.

If Team Executors mod chip does what I think it does, firmware version has zero way too fix it, they would have to do a hardware revision to fix,(which would cost big $$$) a complete re-dye would have to be developed, and also backwards compatibility with initial switch versions, to be considered when developing a new version. I belive they are using Nvidia OP codes to by-pass nintendos boot-loader(hence why it's a mod-chip), from that point they can hook into any Nintendo process, and away they go. Undetectable if they know what there doing.(Which I'm guessin they do after looking thru some of there other mod-chips.) This is what nintendo gets for using this chip.

With this Nintendo can sit there trying to change there encryption routines all they want, with full access to the core pulling the key's is very easy.

spronk

FPS noob
pretty crazy, the devs of the switch PC emulator have started to get switch games running now

Its still months away from games actually playable but I thought it'd be another 2+ years to get to that point. Will we see Super Mario Odyssey running in 4k on a PC by the end of the year? Pokemon on a PC would be nuts