Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
They aren't saying Classic games aren't coming to the Switch. They already announced 20 NES games on the subscription service with SNES games coming. Not to mention all the older games from other publishers that have already been released on the eShop as Arcade Collections.

The important part of this announcement is "...under the Virtual Console banner." Basically they are retiring Virtual Console as a branding/marketing term.

Though as usual, Nintendo is really bad at explaining themselves without causing misunderstandings.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Needless

Toe Sucker
I mean from what i get out of it; is they're holding them back from a "VC" in order to provide as perks for subscribing to their online service (ala' PS+, Xbox Live giving free games). Every month they'll give out some oldschool game?

Either way it's dumb to limit it to that, if it's the case lol

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
It's what people were asking for though - a Netflix type subscription for retro games.

The old Virtual Console way was pretty damn expensive - $10/game in some cases.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
i'm way more hyped to jailbreak my switch and install retroarch on it and build my own VC library with hookers and blackjack

i bought on ebay a $4 3D printed thing that should let me run the X1 tegra exploit, you can just use a paperclip of course but for $5 (free shipping) i figure may as well. The 3d printed schematic is free to download on a bunch of places including gbatemp, I came this >< close to buying a cheap 3D printer at Fry's but realized I'd probably spiral into an obsession with 3D printing if I did that

i searched on ebay for "switch rcm jig" and bought the one that has a few hundred sold. i wonder if there will be a software only way that doesn't require the boot hack jig, like the 3ds/wii u jailbreaks

Skinner

Trakanon Raider
This doesn't really inspire me with hope. Nintendo has had over a year and a half to figure this crap out and instead we get a confusing and vague announcement that VC is gone and they will be sprinkling classics for free over time provided you sub to their vastly subpar online system that uses Discord and smartphone apps.

• 1Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
So not sure where the whining on this one is coming from. This is exactly what Nintendo needed to do. Offer an online service (Yes, primitive with the voice and lobby) while offering classic games for free to play on the switch while subscribed, and cloud saves to get around a bad save back up system. I think people are forgetting that while yes, the online component is convoluted, the services aspect is the direction they needed to go and as long as they continue to build on the library of playable classics while subscribed, it's a win win.

I also think people may be forgetting this price is 20 a year. PS Plus and Xbox Live offer a couple free games a month which you can keep at triple the price annually (List price) but offer completely separate services for PS3/Gamepass respectively at 900% the annual cost of the online service. Hard to compare apples to apples there but PS NOW is a very shitty streaming platform, and Gamepass basically has this gens lack luster MS titles.

If Nintendo continues to launch NES/SNES/N64/Gameboy games on this service platform, at that very low price point, they just low balled Microsoft and Sony and showed you can have an all in one service at a fraction of what the price is today.

It's a good move for Nintendo.

• 2Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I was under the impression that they had NO save back up system and that's why people are bitching about it being gated behing a paywall. And it has the whole phone voice shit, but that's more a problem of them designing controllers without jacks or bluetooth in the console so you can't actually plug the damn thing in unless it's on the console directly which if you're docked is fucked up? And that the games you get access to are too limited and most people have already bought them for the VC 10years ago or whatever and maybe several times too.

I mean, it does look pretty flimsy to me, but then again I don't pay for any of the other online shit either.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
You raise a couple good points, mainly the only back up system being behind a pay wall. However, I still equate it to an annual price point compared to the competition. Sony and Xbox are charging 59 a year for their online service (Albeit much more refined) and then an additional 9.99 a month for gamepass on Xbox One (With some cross play features) and PS Now which is a horrible service and needs to follow MS's footsteps.

I guess I am more easily appeased when seeing them try to merge 2 services into one at a fraction of the current market price. Again, it isn't apples to apples across anything really since so far, they will have a limited 20 game NES collection, but they did add online play and some other features to those games.

I just look at it as if I compare this to Xbox One X. Sure, I can have another save game alternative. I am Paying $59 a year for Live and a couple throw away games a month. I am also paying 119.88 a year for Gamepass with some pretty medicore games on the service, but won't complain much because it's a better system than Sony's and will cover new Microsoft 1st party games. But that is $180 a year compared to 20. So if we compare what we are seeing as a standard today, to the Switch offering at $160 a year less taking into account apples to oranges - I don't see the more inherent need to whine about it on this one. I fully admit, it's based on price point alone.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
Any pay to play online system is shit

I'll probably still use it to play Smash online.

Needless

Toe Sucker
I dunno man, at least PS+ gave the world bloodborne for subscribers eventually

I don't foresee nintendo giving away anything newers than 20+ year old games lol

also thanks for reminding me to cancel my PS+ sub i havent touched in like 2 years

• 1Like

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Glad I didn't end up buying the Japanese version.

This game has so much more content compared to MHWorld, looking forward to it.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Glad I didn't end up buying the Japanese version.

This game has so much more content compared to MHWorld, looking forward to it.

How so? MH World was the first one I really got into thanks to being able to play online with friends on a standard home console.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_00

<Banned>
How the hell is Utnayan not playing with Janx and myself and the squad? Shame on you dude.

World was my first MH. Would I enjoy generations or is it a step back?

• 1Like

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
MHWorld has like 30? boss monsters total, maybe more now that they have added a couple post launch.

MH XX (Generations Ultimate) has 93 - some are variations but they aren't just reskins - they behave differently, have their own armor and weapon sets, etc.

Not to mention this version has 4 or 5 hunting styles (Guild, Aerial, Striker, Adept, Alchemist) for each weapon which means you have 50+ "weapons".

MH World definitely has QoL changes, mostly when you are talking about gathering (you have to restock your mining picks/bug nets, items you gather dont automatically go to storage) but all of the other changes I don't consider better than old Monster Hunter - just different.

• 2Like

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Define 4 or 5 hunting styles per weapon. And how many weapon types are there?

Generations has 14 weapon types:

Great Sword
Longsword
Sword & Shield
Dual Blades
Hammer
Hunting Horn
Lance
Gunlance
Switch Ace
Charge Blade
Insect Glaive
Light Bowgun
Heavy Bowgun
Bow

Hunting Styles alter the movesets of each weapon and give you Hunter Arts (basically skills/power attacks) that you can equip. The styles are:

Guild (Classic moveset) - can equip 2 Hunter Arts
Striker - simplest style moveset wise, can equip 3 Hunter Arts and the art gauge fills faster.
Aerial - Lets all weapons have Aerial Dodge and moves (like the Insect Glaive), can equip 1 Hunter Art.
Adept - More focused on evades/dodging and has heavy counter attack damage, requires more advanced player to maximize. Can equip 1 Hunter Art.
Alchemist - New in XX/Generation Ultimate, more focused on support. I've never played XX so don't know much about it.

Some of the Hunter Arts you got from Styles were sort of integrated directly into the weapons in MH World, like the Helm Splitter for Longsword.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Nice that it's coming over, Capcom would have been kinda dumb to not localize after how well Switch is doing.

Not really sure how I'll like playing this after all the really nice QoL changes in World. Shit like having to make an entirely different set of armor just to use range weapons is dumb. Though this has a lot of content and I did find World to be a bit on the easy side. Armor transmog is nice too, could get a lot of extra time out of just making a nice fashion set heh.

Edit: Only other major problem that's not really related is that this is coming out right as Fall is about to hit and there are quite a few major releases I was looking forward to. Just not sure if time will permit two MH games in the same year.