Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
I used a new account for my Switch for that very reason. Don't know of a reason not to.

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
Gamestop sold out of MK8 bundles instantly as expected, but I did manage to get a grey one. Ended up costing me $225 for Switch + $50 game card since I used six $50 cards I only paid $40 for and some reward points I had piling up, so I guess I don't feel too dumb for buying a console that still only has two games I'm interested in, at least until SMT V and Bayonetta 3 come out.

Does the Switch still have an issue with the dock scratching the screen? I put it in briefly and it left a mark that I was able to buff out with a cleaning cloth but now I don't want to put it back in at all until my screen protector gets here tomorrow.

And is there any reason I should re-use my Nintendo account I have for Wii U and 3DS? Mainly asking because I put CFW on both of those and I'd rather my Switch had a clean account.
Get a screen protector and make a clean account if you aren't 100% sure you've never been flagged for cfw on the other systems. They're not messing around with banning switches.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
On the assumption I'll be able to get a Switch on Thurs. I ordered a few things from Amazon ahead of time: nylon hard case for the Switch itself since I don't think I'll ever take the dock anywhere, glass screen protector, and a Mayflash Magic-NS adapter to use with my extra DS4, plus I already have a spare 128GB SD card. Anything else I'm going to wish I had, other than games (got Octopath Traveler to start, and watching for any deals on XC2+Torna between now and xmas) ? I almost got one of those Hori folding stands, but not sure I really have any need for it.

To answer my own question here, in case anyone else with a new Switch is wondering the same thing, I should have gotten a second charger of some sort (not the official Nintendo one when you can easily get a more universal USB-C PD charger for less money). Since I didn't, I'm going to see how well it works with my Galaxy S9's quick charger and a USB-A to -C cable. Hopefully it's just slower than charging it in the dock, but still enough power to play games indefinitely without the battery draining.

And I definitely should have gotten that Hori stand. The Switch's kickstand thing is a fucking joke, and I find I do prefer playing it with the joycons detached anytime there's a flat surface available which means I also want to be able to plug it in which the kickstand doesn't allow either.

Haven't tried out the Bluetooth dongle with a DS4 yet.

Therage

Vyemm Raider
Becareful using non Nintendo power chargers. There were rumors it was bricking systems months ago. As a heads up

Vorph

Yeah, I found a site linked on the Switch reddit that has done in depth testing of lots of different chargers and cables for use with the Switch: USB-C Chargers for the Nintendo Switch – Switch Chargers

As usual, Monoprice stuff is the cheapest and rated 'superb' by that site. This one is only $16 plus the cost of a USB-C cable (~$7 for a 6' 2.0 cable, since there's no need for 3.1 if you only use it for charging and not data). Technically you could buy an expensive Apple cable and use it to supply 15v/2.6A to the dock since the Monoprice charge supports it, but I don't see the point in spending that much money when you already have the power brick that comes with the Switch.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Put in a hold request for an in store pick up on the diablo version(has $50 in store game card with it now) so gonna head down to grab it in a bit. I don't see the hori stand on the site tho, hopefully have one there.

Vorph

They don't have the Hori stand at Gamestop. If you have a nearby Target you can get the PowerA one which is just as good or better. I'm going to pick one of those up tomorrow since I have to go to Target for some non-Black Friday stuff anyway.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I'm just gonna order on amazon, want the Zelda branded hori now that I've seen it

Siliconemelons

Buying switch Zelda botw if anyone is selling

Got a joycon set 10$ off from target (so 5% more also)

Seems to have been the best deal for joycon this year... now we all can play Mario party...as its stupid self uses joycon only

Vorph

Magic-NS adapter works great btw. I haven't tried it with one of my DS4s yet, but I'm using it just fine with my WiiU Pro controller. No input lag or anything. The only downside is that the dongle apparently isn't powered at all while the Switch is sleeping so you can't turn it on with that controller. On the positive side though, you can swap BAYX to ABXY and not have to put up with Nintendo's being too stubborn to use the correct button layout in the west. Might be hard to adjust to if you use the joycons at all too I suppose.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
GameStop, for Cyber Monday, is gonna offer a switch (neon or grey, everyone is sold out of the MK8, smash and pokemon bundles) for $299 but also throw in a $50 gamestop GC and a $35 nintendo e-shop card. Not a bad deal for a switch.

6.2 also got hacked like within 48 hours of being released i think

Vorph

Dammit, now I'm not just mad because I bought VC4 early in the week for PS4 when it didn't look like the Switch version was getting any discount, then they turned around and put it up for the same price as PSN, but also because that $35 eShop card would have covered the XC2 expansion pass I bought today.

6.2 also got hacked like within 48 hours of being released i think
Nice, I was wondering if current hardware was still able to be hacked. My serial number is well below XAW700179______ so it appears I can mess with it whenever I feel like it.

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
I’ve been able to catch all my Switch titles on sale, so I’ve settled for hacking the 3DS and Wii U and leaving my Switch as is, although I feel I’ve paid for plenty of games on those as well.

Playing through Skyrim on the Switch now after grabbing it at 50% off, it is nice to be able to play it whenever I have a little time for short stretches.

lost

<Bronze Donator>
any cyber monday deals for pokemon pikachu +/- ball? shooting for 2 balls and game so whatevers cheaper.

thanks in advance my deal hunters.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Nice, I was wondering if current hardware was still able to be hacked. My serial number is well below XAW700179______ so it appears I can mess with it whenever I feel like it.

Nintendo needs to do a complete re-schematic on the hardware, if they want too lock-out hackers, (NVIDIA's hardware is well documented), but they still have too keep combatilbity with all switches at the same time, so if they want too fix this they either, 1. Make a trade in program for older switches too get swapped with the newer hardware, 2. Bite the bullet and keep compatibility between all switch's. But regardless cause of them using NVIDIA's open source design, there fucked.

Vorph

They did plug one of the exploits in Switches manufactured recently, that's what I was referring to with the serial number. Mine was sitting around Gamestop for a while I guess, it only had firmware 4.1 on it when I took it out of the box. Don't have any intention of messing with it yet, but it's good to know that no matter what Nintendo does with the firmware my Switch is old enough that it can be circumvented.

lost

<Bronze Donator>
my serial is an XW1002..... but ive updated software to be able to play shit

soo i saw this Hasbro Game Night for Nintendo Switch - Nintendo Game Details and thought cool, couldnt find it in the eshop through my switch and stumbled upon the fact that the three games (monopoly, risk and trivial pursuit) add up to be cheaper than buying this game package. monopoly was $16 (its showing more when i look through my computer), trivial pursuit is 19 and risk is $11.99.. so 46.99 vs 59.99 for bundle

Last edited:
  • 1Worf