Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

lost

<Bronze Donator>
soo updated my switch yesterday and didnt touch it until night, then suddenly my microSD wasnt being read and I couldnt play anything (i guess switch saves pieces of each game across internal and microSD so you need both). so now i put it in my computer and it reads it just fine but switch cant. put a new one in and now says not inserted.

sounds like gotta send it in, fml.

edit: nevermind used my keyboard duster and seems to have cleaned out the microsd slot and works. luckily the "cloud" saves your game progress anyway.

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
Are there any notable differences between downloaded vs. physical cartridge versions of a game other than space requirements/having to carry around a physical cartridge? Meaning does shit like DLC, game saves, updates, etc. work similarly for both?

I was just planning to download my games until I noticed Zelda took up like over half my space.

lost

<Bronze Donator>
Cartridges you can resell if you dont like it or dont play it any longer, downloads at least from nintendo shop are non refundable. And yeah you can go to like gamestop or amazon and buy used cartridge for cheaper. I just put in a 128 microSD cause yeah mine was filling up. Rocket league was 11gb!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Yeah i pretty much always buy physical shit if I can because being able to sell it back for at least something has value to me. Swapping carts for games never really bothered me. One time I took a decent pile of old 3DS games to GS and got like $450 in credit for them vs. $0 if I’d have downloaded that all from the eShop. Of course we wasted it all on magic cards afterwards but still.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
Thanks for answering my questions, bros. I have a couple more:

This is my first console in like 10+ years so I don't know what's changed. What's the best way to make sure I can pick up a Smash Bros cartridge on release day? Just go buy it in a store day-of, or pre-order (either in a store or on Amazon)?

Looking to purchase a case and have my eye on this one:
Anyone have any experience with it or suggestions for something different?

lost

<Bronze Donator>
^ your picture doesnt work. Can't comment on best way, if you have a cartridge sure I guess pre-order it and amazon usually says itll arrive the day it comes out? Otherwise digital download.

So I thought I fixed my microSD problem with a new microSD, new install on it. Go to play rocket league lastnight, "cannot access microSD" hmm thats weird. so I try the 4 other games on the microSD, they all work. I tried mario kart which was a cartridge, said couldnt access microSD. Deleted mario kart, redownloaded, worked. Turned off switch 4 times to try to play rocket league, blew in the microSD slot and put card back, and still got "cannot access microSD" for only rocket league.

Deleted rocket league, took an hour to redownload, then says cannot access microSD. Shut the switch off, air blast it again with my keyboard cleaner, turn it on, works. So is it my microSD card or the switch? Probably going to send it in, hope its not too expensive.

I read stuff about which format the microSD is on can effect it but I'm fully system updated so it should support all formats, but its odd that it can only read some of the games on the microSD and not all of them, but I'm still leaning towards the microSD reader in the switch being faulty.

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
^ your picture doesnt work. Can't comment on best way, if you have a cartridge sure I guess pre-order it and amazon usually says itll arrive the day it comes out? Otherwise digital download.

It was an amazon link that the forum turned into a picture link thing for some reason.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Thanks for answering my questions, bros. I have a couple more:

This is my first console in like 10+ years so I don't know what's changed. What's the best way to make sure I can pick up a Smash Bros cartridge on release day? Just go buy it in a store day-of, or pre-order (either in a store or on Amazon)?

Looking to purchase a case and have my eye on this one:

I had bought this case: https://www.gamestop.com/nintendo-switch/accessories/nintendo-switch-everywhere-messenger-bag/141853

but fuck, the one you linked looks a shitload better, especially for the same damn price. Wish I'd seen that one before getting mine. Mine's nice, but it'll fit the base console/controllers you get and that's about it. Not much room for more stuff in there, like a pro-controller, no slots for game carts, etc.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Seeing smash bros for 49.99 at Costco online, will check to see If it is the same in store when it releases.

• 1Like

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
That case seems fine if you really need to carry the entire Switch including the dock around with you. You can save $5 by getting a different random Chinese brand selling the same exact thing (Rayvol) instead of that particular one.

You will probably want something else too if you ever carry just the Switch itself around to play away from home. I bought the RDS one that they sell everywhere, huge mistake. It's ok I guess if you just want literally nothing but the Switch itself with you to pick up and play with the joycons attached, but I really regret not getting this UGREEN one instead though. I can't even fit my stand in the RDS one let alone the joycon controller or any sort of power supply. Now instead of a Switch case that holds what I need, I have a bunch of extra shit taking up space in my tablet bag too.

• 1Like

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I picked up a Switch on the weekend. Quick! What are five games I should own!?

• 1Like

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
I picked up a Switch on the weekend. Quick! What are five games I should own!?

Zelda BOTW, Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart 8, Octopath Traveler, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Stardew Valley, Super Mario Party and Smash Bros Ultimate in a week.

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
Probably nowhere to get it for less than $299 huh? I missed the boat by not deciding earlier.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
Probably nowhere to get it for less than $299 huh? I missed the boat by not deciding earlier.

$180 has been the cheapest on facebook marketplace for a new-in-box switch, it might pop up on there again as facebook is desperate to build momentum
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/deals

otherwise i'd say the day after christmas you might see some deals as retailers start unloading stock. Keep in mind its almost certain there will be a "Switch 2.0" coming out in 2019 although we have no idea if its a simpler version (switch lite) or a more powerful version (switch pro) or even both or something else.

must-play games are Zelda BOTW, Super Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, and I guess Smash Ultimate coming in a week. Second tier would be Xenoblade 2, Octopath, Celeste, Bayonetta 1 & 2, Kirby, Donkey Kong, Captain Toad, and Hollow Knight.