Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Should be an option. I like the portability of it, but there’s no reason that they couldn’t sell a docked mode console as well for people that don’t care about taking it places.

Sure there is.

Money. Why spend more on their end when people will buy it regardless?

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
No screen? The whole selling point is a portable system. They aren't going to ever back off that nor should they.

I have a 3DS/Phone for portable games, I'm not interested in consoles having dual purposes, just give me a permanent docked version please and I'll be happy.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Sure there is.

The screen and battery and the form factor are probably large drivers in cost, why do you think it would cost more? I’m sure they could keep the same margin and move more overall units

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Sure there is.

How would they spend more excalty ??

Remove LCD screen, battery, remotes + outside connectors, re-fab dock mold to shell + move HDMI/USB connections for better access(this would probably be really easy for them, I bet they are flying thru there casting molds..) remove USB3 connector on bottom of Switch Mainboard, a simple retooling can easily be done via automation too permentaly mate the USB3 hub.

Siliconemelons

If you have an amazon prime account you will get 1 year FREE of nintendo switch online
Twitch Prime | Nintendo

you get a 3 month freebie now, have to login with your nintendo switch account (does not have to be online-active already) and then in 60 days you can login back to that twitch page above and add another 9 months.

It turns on auto renewal so you will get billed in 3 months if you don't turn that off. Turn off auto renewal here

It does ask for a credit card (or paypal) when you sign up, I used a $0 balance visa gift card so nintendo can't fuck me over if I forget.

Twitch prime = amazon prime?

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
The screen and battery and the form factor are probably large drivers in cost, why do you think it would cost more? I’m sure they could keep the same margin and move more overall units

Because eventually they've imo, going to phase out the gameboy and the switch will be nintendos only option for mobile gaming and is powerful enough to remain their primary console as well.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Siliconemelons

Because eventually they've imo, going to phase out the gameboy and the switch will be nintendos only option for mobile gaming and is powerful enough to remain their primary console as well.

That is their plan... I believe they stated as much when the switch was announced / design leaks etc.

I think however they found that they will still need many form factors.

A "Console"
A "Portable"
and a "both"

the current switch is a "both" trial - but it all needs to be running the same OS and practically all games need to run on all versions.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Right, but why would that in any way preclude having a console only version for slightly cheaper? I’m not talking about something more powerful that creates a split between the portable version and a console version, just one that is a bit cheaper for both Nintendo to make and for the consumer to purchase for those that don’t want to use the portability of it.

Siliconemelons

A console can be physically bigger, that in generally makes production cheaper.

Normal CPU with nominal cooling and a normal GPU all capable of XYZ stuff

vs.

Mobile defined small ultra low power and heat CPU and GPU capable of the same XYZ stuff

Normal stuff costs 5$ portable stuff costs 10% but they both "do" the same.

yes, let the consumer make the choice and let the market decide.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I want to like the portable aspect of the Switch, and that's mainly why I bought the thing... but the screen is too small AND due to being 720p also has shitty ppi on top of that. It's also probably the games I play, but the only two I have been able to stand to play on portable mode are Octopath and World of FF. Anything action-oriented like Bayonetta 1/2, Vesperia, or Starlink forget it. Hell even XC2 isn't playable imo unless you're grinding something trivial. Bayonetta 3 and Astral Chain certainly won't be playable off the TV, so that leaves Fire Emblem 3H as the only Switch game I'm looking forward to that will be good on the go. (SMT5 too, but at this point it could still be years away and I wouldn't be too surprised.)

All that said, like others mentioned I'd probably still upgrade to a deluxe or whatever if it has bluetooth audio. All Switches not having that most basic feature is inexcusable.

• 1Barf

spronk

FPS noob
Twitch prime = amazon prime?

yeah just have to attach your amazon prime account to your twitch account at www.twitch.tv/prime to activate all the free games and stuff they give you, including the 1 year nintendo online

in our house my wife's account is the main amazon prime account and my twitch account is seperate from hers but I was able to link it to her account and get all the free shit, including gifting a monthly twitch sub to any rando

• 1Like

Siliconemelons

Random but labo has jumped into VR

So I know it was discussed and shot down because of 720 and bad ppi split between eyes would result in VR worse than Google cardboard.. But it is here none the less

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Yeah, I've literally never even hooked the dock up, it's still in whatever packaging it came it. If I'm home, I have an awesome pc to game on. If I'm not home, switch time.

Same. Never played it docked. Not once. It's strictly a portable platform for me.

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, I'm headed to Tuscon in a couple of hours where I will be attending a workshop for a few days... Just downloaded Hollow Knight after a quick "Best games on switch" search. Here's to making a few thousand dollars while playing a couple dozen hours. I fucking love this thing.

• 1Like

Vorph

I still can't figure out what games people are playing that they find it bearable to use the thing portable, besides the small handful of turn-based JRPGs available on the Switch. I'm not even talking about the joycons being awful; when I say "portable" I generally mean I have it on a stand and I'm using my Pro controller. It's just too hard to see what the hell is going on in action games on that screen.

• 5Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Wantonsoup95

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I still can't figure out what games people are playing that they find it bearable to use the thing portable, besides the small handful of turn-based JRPGs available on the Switch. I'm not even talking about the joycons being awful; when I say "portable" I generally mean I have it on a stand and I'm using my Pro controller. It's just too hard to see what the hell is going on in action games on that screen.

Smash in portable mode is too much for this geezers eyes.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Yeah I'm with you two. I can't use my Switch in handheld outside of stuff like Octopath and a couple of DRGPs I bought for it.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
i don't know. Guess I'm not old and busted. Haven't had a problem with anything yet.

Vorph

If you can beat Bayonetta 2 on Infinite Climax playing portable I'll concede to being old and busted. :D