Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

spronk

FPS noob
Nintendo had a direct on super mario maker 2 today, $60 msrp physical/retail online needed for some things local play for other stuff

digital version with 1 year online membership included ($10 discount basically)
Super Mario Maker 2 + Nintendo Switch Online Bundle for Nintendo Switch - Nintendo Game Details

switch online members can pay $99 and "buy" two digital games, list is here
Voucher Compatible Games - Nintendo Game Store

big N doing a lot to push online, between the free 1 year with twitch prime and all these bundles and offers.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
If it was $80 that would be a decent sale. $99 is pretty ridiculous though, considering about a quarter of the games are only $50 to begin with.

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
If it was $80 that would be a decent sale. $99 is pretty ridiculous though, considering about a quarter of the games are only $50 to begin with.

Agreed, I can pick up games at Best Buy still with GCU and they are having a sale on many of the Switch games.

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
Agreed, I can pick up games at Best Buy still with GCU and they are having a sale on many of the Switch games.

BB canceling GCU was dumbest thing they ever did. The amount of games I bought because it was a good deal with the GCU vs now without GCU is like 10 to 1.

• 1Solidarity

Vorph

Especially since GCU going away was likely a major reason why Amazon followed suit and got rid of Prime preorders.

Siliconemelons

BestBuy has done good things with their reward programs and their expansion was actually good. There was a "game to play" with the system and I am sure they knew it. It was a reward system that gave tangables fairly fast and for those that did a lot got A LOT and even those that were occasional got some decent kick back.

But I am sure some number guy was like "we have built our game consumer base, time to get that X% back that the rewards costs us!" And then got a promotion.

Vorph

This has been bugging me for a while now -- is there something wrong on my end or does everyone's Switch have absolutely dogshit surround sound when docked and hooked up to a receiver? I'm pretty sure the actual audio output is similar to the PS4, just capped at 5.1 LPCM instead of 7.1 (or more) on the PS4. The Switch is setup for surround and I use the MultiCh setting on the receiver and it shows me getting all channels properly and the sound test works as it should... except there's practically no bass in games. I'll be watching a cutscene in Xenoblade 2 which seems like it should be using the subwoofer in a major way and there's just nothing there. I never have any problems at all on PS4, if anything there's too much bass when I play stuff like Division 2.

Vorph

The voucher deal seems less shitty once I noticed that you'll be able to use them on Fire Emblem 3 Houses and Astral Chain, which I'm definitely buying this summer. Also the upcoming Marvel Ultimate Alliance game, but I'm leaning towards a rental on that one.

If you have a Costco membership you can buy eshop cards for $45 instead of $50 and knock another 10 bucks off, plus there's the 500 coins ($5) you get from buying the vouchers themselves.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
This has been bugging me for a while now -- is there something wrong on my end or does everyone's Switch have absolutely dogshit surround sound when docked and hooked up to a receiver? I'm pretty sure the actual audio output is similar to the PS4, just capped at 5.1 LPCM instead of 7.1 (or more) on the PS4. The Switch is setup for surround and I use the MultiCh setting on the receiver and it shows me getting all channels properly and the sound test works as it should... except there's practically no bass in games. I'll be watching a cutscene in Xenoblade 2 which seems like it should be using the subwoofer in a major way and there's just nothing there. I never have any problems at all on PS4, if anything there's too much bass when I play stuff like Division 2.

Switches surround has always been dogshit since they don’t want to pay for a Dolby license. Straight HDMI to the receiver will get you the best it can really do.

Vorph

That shouldn't really matter though. I mean, I don't really want Dolby sent out by any console since that would be using lossy compression. PS4 sends LPCM 7.1 and it sounds great. Switch sends LPCM 5.1 which would still be fine but they somehow managed to screw it up royally.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
That shouldn't really matter though. I mean, I don't really want Dolby sent out by any console since that would be using lossy compression. PS4 sends LPCM 7.1 and it sounds great. Switch sends LPCM 5.1 which would still be fine but they somehow managed to screw it up royally.

That's because some games do not support it at all.

Spoilered for Truncation.

Games that SUPPORT LPCM Surround Sound:
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
- Lego City Undercover
- Splatoon 2
- Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
- Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2
- Super Mario Odyssey
- Sonic Forces
- Kirby Star Allies (rarely uses it but in the overworld map from the first map you can hear a water stream behind you, the rest of the game dont use the rear channels tho)
- South Park the Fractured But Whole (rarely uses it but dialogue comes from the center channel iirc)
- Resident Evil Revelations
- Resident Evil Revelations 2
- Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate
- Pokemon Lets Go Pikachu/Eevee (rarely uses it, but there is clearly audio coming from the rear right channel when i do the zippy zap move with Pikachu)
- Dark Souls Remastered (audio quality is awful tho)
- Daemon x Machina (demo was in surround)
- ARMS
- Dragon Quest Builders (fire and water effects... maybe other effects)
- Mario Tennis Aces
- Fast RMX
- Ōkami HD (surround seems rarely used though, I could notice the music when you load your savefile coming from the rear speakers, but didn't notice any song or effect in game, I would say that Okami is pretty much a stereo game)
- Darksiders Warmastered Edition
- Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
- Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age (dialogue doesnt come from center channel, certain other sounds do)

Games that DONT Support LPCM Surround Sound and output in Stereo:
- Super Bomberman R
- I am Setsuna
- One Piece Unlimited World Red
- Xenoblade Chronicles 2
- Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition
- La Noire
- Super Smash Bros Ultimate
- Tales of Vesperia Definitive Edition
- Shantae Half Genie Hero
- Wonderboy the Dragon Trap
- Octopath traveler
- Sonic Mania
- Rayman Legends: Definitive Edition
- Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes
- Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (listed on the Nintendo eShop as a surround game, but I couldn't notice any sound)
-Yoshis Crafted World
- Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Lots of new details on Pokemon Sword/Shield today.

Corviknight is the coolest pokemon design ever.

Open world battles/co-op raids with controllable camera (only in certain areas, still fixed camera in cities/routes).

Worldwide release on 11-15-19. Wouldn't be surprised if this game sells 20 million and causes hardware shortages this holiday.

• 1Like

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
After watching the whole thing, Dynamax seems like a pretty lame mechanic, IMO. I've never really liked that sort of gimmicky shit in the Pokemon games (Mega was kind of okay, since at least you might have another cool form out of it or changes to type to stir things up).

But hell fucking yeah to wolf legendaries, though.

Vorph

If anyone needs a Switch Pro Controller, you can get one from Best Buy via Google Express for $40 right now.

Use code JUNESAVE19 to bring it down to $40. Shipping is free, but there's tax. It's been going in and out of stock according to people on Slickdeals, but I had no trouble ordering one yesterday (besides having to tell AMEX it was ok to process the transaction).

Siliconemelons

Nice, they also have games - and they are multi vendor so you are generally able to find the lowest "general" price +20% off first order...

So mario tennis aces or mario u delux - kids want tennis and wife wants mario

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
Picked up the Crypt of the Necromancer Zelda game Candace of Hyrule and am having a lot of fun with it. If you are a Zelda fanboy, enjoyed the original Crypt game or the music from Meatboy and the original Binding of Issac you will probably dig this. Have a couple 12 hour flights coming up and plan on playing the hell out of this.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Crypt of the Necrodancer is on sale right now for $4. It's a really great deal for a really great game.

• 1Like