Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
If you can't find anything on Switch or PS4 I think it's time for a new hobby.

That said, I've tried Zelda on both Wii U and Switch and have no idea what it is people see in the game. Same goes for the rest of those first party Nintendo games. No interest in them at all, but there's plenty of good third party stuff on the Switch.
A lot of it is nostalgia for previous games. If I hadn't played Mario games all my life, I'm not sure what I would think of Mario Odyssey. I do think that Zelda is a legit amazing game in its own right, that's one of the first games in a super long time that I actually got into. Somewhat colored by nostalgia as well. I really love the Zelda games, but a complaint I had was that they didn't take more risks with it, it was like they were remaking OoT over and over in different variations. Now they're doing Cadence of Hyrule and that remake that comes out next month, it's a bit different I guess, not interested in Cadence though.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
A lot of it is nostalgia for previous games. If I hadn't played Mario games all my life, I'm not sure what I would think of Mario Odyssey. I do think that Zelda is a legit amazing game in its own right, that's one of the first games in a super long time that I actually got into. Somewhat colored by nostalgia as well. I really love the Zelda games, but a complaint I had was that they didn't take more risks with it, it was like they were remaking OoT over and over in different variations. Now they're doing Cadence of Hyrule and that remake that comes out next month, it's a bit different I guess, not interested in Cadence though.
I had NES, SNES, etc. and played all the Nintendo games back then. New Mario stuff just doesn't do a thing for me, and I guess Zelda is the same way. I got about 20-25 hours into BotW and just don't care to go on, so I'm far more interested in Link's Awakening for its nostalgia value than I am in BotW 2.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Ok I’m getting Gud. Figured it out and starting to click. Fucking nerve racking game man I love it. I’m scared around every corner. Do you use your inventory if you die and not spend it before hand?

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Ok I’m getting Gud. Figured it out and starting to click. Fucking nerve racking game man I love it. I’m scared around every corner. Do you use your inventory if you die and not spend it before hand?

Shit wrong thread sorry.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I had NES, SNES, etc. and played all the Nintendo games back then. New Mario stuff just doesn't do a thing for me, and I guess Zelda is the same way. I got about 20-25 hours into BotW and just don't care to go on, so I'm far more interested in Link's Awakening for its nostalgia value than I am in BotW 2.
Yeah I'm pretty excited for Link's Awakening, I never played that one. I do think that most of it is nostalgia for me, like I loved Link Between Worlds, but I tried Blossom Tales and just couldn't get into it.

BotW was, to me, like the fulfillment of OoT's promise. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems like they've taken that formula as far as it can reasonably go. BotW2 initially looks darker, more dungeon based, which is cool. Nice change. After BotW runs its course I am hoping they change strategies.

Siliconemelons

BOTW needed bosses and more bad guys and more badguys that took skill to kill even the lynels could get stuck on a pattern and taken out easy once you got enough armor to take a few hits from not being perfect.

and of course, real dungeons

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
BOTW needed bosses and more bad guys and more badguys that took skill to kill even the lynels could get stuck on a pattern and taken out easy once you got enough armor to take a few hits from not being perfect.

And darker much much darker, which seems to be the main point of BoTW2, at least from what they have said, who knows what that means though...

Ritley

Karazhan Raider

Definitely needed more bosses, and the return back to dungeons. The shrines were nice but I’d have rather had 10-12 larger dungeons instead of the shrines hidden all over the map.

Siliconemelons

And darker much much darker, which seems to be the main point of BoTW2, at least from what they have said, who knows what that means though...

I think the feeling of BOTW was good... I do not think it needed to be darker in current game, it needed to be darker in the memories and backstory. and WTF Nintendo... 1/3 of the sparse scenes were voice acted? why? what? this is no 1A shop, you are nintendo!

BOTW was a defeated and solitude feeling, and it should have been... "we" lost, Link died from what almost everyone knew - the 4 champions are dead and zelda is gone... holding back gannon for an unknown time.

One thing that I think they could have done was to have no children in any of the villages and had the residents more melancholy and given up to inevitable destruction and death.

The music was good for this... no music was happy really, or up beat or even that "loud" it is all just very subtle background music.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
One thing I didn't like (Loved the game personally), well, two things: 1) Rewards should have been a lot better for some areas. Going through the Eventide trial to be rewarded with 300 rupees and a shadow orb was a joke. There should have been something compelling as a reward. Maybe an item that allows you to scale cliffs when it rains without falling down? 2) Scaling cliffs when it rains and you keep sliding down so you are forced to wait until the rain stops. Some of the weather effects were what I have always wanted (Cold gear, Warm Gear, etc) but when it stops you completely from playing because there is no counter solution to the weather, it's 100% broken and no longer a mechanic. (This should be designed this way. I love it when weather effects things - but give counters to it or provide QoL rewards to over come the effects via quests or something like Eventide Island) IE: When you have to light the forges and you are moving from post to post with your blue flame lantern, and it starts raining. You are basically going to sit there until it stops because your lantern will continually extinguish.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Weapons breaking really ruined the enjoyment of BOTW for me. It was probably my least favorite Zelda game of all time due to that and aforementioned problems others have said.

• 6Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Weapons breaking

It's an asinine mechanic that should not exist in any game. All it does is diminish the value of rewards because you're constantly dogged by the feeling you should never use the cool sword you just got.

• 8Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 9 users

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
I think the feeling of BOTW was good... I do not think it needed to be darker in current game, it needed to be darker in the memories and backstory. and WTF Nintendo... 1/3 of the sparse scenes were voice acted? why? what? this is no 1A shop, you are nintendo!

BOTW was a defeated and solitude feeling, and it should have been... "we" lost, Link died from what almost everyone knew - the 4 champions are dead and zelda is gone... holding back gannon for an unknown time.

One thing that I think they could have done was to have no children in any of the villages and had the residents more melancholy and given up to inevitable destruction and death.

The music was good for this... no music was happy really, or up beat or even that "loud" it is all just very subtle background music.

Nintendo needs too realize we are not kids anymore, we want the dark and gritty Zelda/Metroid/Mario's if they would just realize that I would be buying a switch, I'm just done with the artsy kid stuff, it's getting old.

• 2Salty
  • 1Pants on Fire!
Reactions: 2 users

Gurgeh

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Nintendo needs too realize we are not kids anymore, we want the dark and gritty Zelda/Metroid/Mario's if they would just realize that I would be buying a switch, I'm just done with the artsy kid stuff, it's getting old.
Personnaly, I specificaly bought it for this reason : I can play with my very young daughter (she's 2.5 and already spending about 30 mn a day on it...), in my opinion it is more than fine that Nintendo managed to stay true to themselves over nearly 40 years. We don't need all the devices to be directed to the same audience.

• 1Like

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Personnaly, I specificaly bought it for this reason : I can play with my very young daughter (she's 2.5 and already spending about 30 mn a day on it...), in my opinion it is more than fine that Nintendo managed to stay true to themselves over nearly 40 years. We don't need all the devices to be directed to the same audience.

I'm not saying too just flat out drop everything they are doing now, it is very obvious they won't do that, but something for adults from Zelda/Metroid/Mario would be nice occasionally they don't have too do it all the time. Metroid would probably be the best use of this, I mean it is inspired by Alien...

Skinner

Trakanon Raider
I'm not saying too just flat out drop everything they are doing now, it is very obvious they won't do that, but something for adults from Zelda/Metroid/Mario would be nice occasionally they don't have too do it all the time. Metroid would probably be the best use of this, I mean it is inspired by Alien...

Please elaborate. Specifically, I'm interested in why you think Mario or Zelda isn't for adults or could be something "more" for adults. It can't be story/plot wise as nearly every single Zelda game deals with the end of the world and most of them are actually pretty dark. BoTW was already summed up in this thread but it deals with the end of the world where Link is resurrected after failing to stop Ganon and Hyrule is destroyed and most are dead and the living are living on borrowed time.

Mario? Mario is a puzzle - platformer. The goal is to find stars to free the princess or power up something or find things in order to escape back to your world, ect.

It sounds like you're looking for realistic or exaggerated violence in original Nintendo IPs.

• 1Like

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Metroid Prime was already pretty dark. The next Zelda looks a little darker, I think that's a suitable franchise for darker storylines etc. Mario definitely isn't. It's meant to be lighthearted.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
"Mario for adults" doesn't compute. Are you too badass to find stars and rescue princesses or something? Mario Galaxy was a great game; I don't care how old you are.

This is like saying you hate ice cream because it's not spicy enough.

• 4Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 4 users

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
I remember Majora's Mask having some messed up story lines. The main one that sticks with me was some family with the kids talking about getting to try adult drinks (milk?) as the days progressed. At the evening of day three the kids were passed out from the alcoholic drinks the parents let them drink with the parents explaining this was more kind than letting them see what was coming. That was one of those god damn, that is messed up and I can't recall a Nintendo title being that dark since.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
I guess there is no chance Astral Chain will be ported to anything else since Nintendo is the publisher? The only real negatives I read about it are tied to bad performance and hard to see things during intense combat. Combat with more than three enemies (later on when doing combos) bring it down to sub 20 fps, and especially hand held it can be hard to see what is going on.

Anyone here tried it yet?