Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
It's not out until Friday, it's just the review embargo that lifted today. Definitely keeping my preorder after seeing the reviews though. I'm used to Switch games having shitty performance by now, so my biggest concern is that they went with a silent protagonist in a Platinum game that's still story-heavy. Not a fan of silent protagonists at the best of times, but I think it's going to end up being a really bad decision here.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Siliconemelons

Silent prog can be difficult, once the story reaches a certain level... there were times in BOTW I was like "FRIGGEN LINK JUST SPEAK"

EVEN IF IT IS JUST TO SAY "EXCUUUUUUSSEEE ME PRINCESS!"

Vorph

It seems to be a good game, but goddamn do I suck at it. I can still progress on Pt Standard difficulty, but I'm getting all C and D ratings.

Can't seem to get the hang of controlling both the main character (left stick) and the legion (hold ZR and move right stick) at the same time, and I find the dodge mechanic in this really weird. It's a lot like Bayonetta's Witch Time, except the slowdown effect lasts just long enough to ensure that I get hit by the enemy's next attack (and too short to do anything useful during it). The game vastly improves after the first couple chapters though, so I'm hoping as I unlock more stuff the QoL will keep getting better.

If you grab it, the best advice I can give is to try out the alternate control schemes as soon as you start so you don't have to add relearning muscle memory on top of everything else.

RhoA

Lord Nagafen Raider
Currently weighing whether I want to buy Fire Emblem: Three Houses or Astral Chain at this time. I mostly play my Switch when I'm on overnight call at the hospital so seems Fire Emblem might be the better pick up and drop game.

Vorph

If you're getting a game for portable mode definitely go with FE3H. IMO Astral Chain is a TV game full stop unless you want to play it on the difficulty setting where the action basically plays itself.

spronk

FPS noob
Currently weighing whether I want to buy Fire Emblem: Three Houses or Astral Chain at this time. I mostly play my Switch when I'm on overnight call at the hospital so seems Fire Emblem might be the better pick up and drop game.

i'm 40 hours into FE3H and super enjoying it, just actually switched from physical (traded into GS) to digital since I hear once you finish the game you can NG+ to see the 4 different major story paths. I think I still have at least 15-20 hours to "finish" the game (just had the time skip). There are some hard, hard "A or B" kinda branching story paths in the game that seem like it'll be very different.

this is really the only switch game since i bought it that i've really enjoyed, and you can definitely play it in tiny chunks as you can save anytime and pick right up.

I looked at astral chain and it seems also like a really good review but way shorter, they say 12 hours to just finish the main story and 20 hours gets you 100% of the game.

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
I swear I am ready to give up on my Switch. I bought a pro controller because there was no way I was progressing on Hollow Knight with the Joy-con controller.

Then I was given Breath of the Wild. And, while that game is fun-- I am kind of a spazz at it too. Also, I am not sure I have the patience for it. Then I made the mistake of buying Cuphead 2. Yup-- too hard for me too. I feel that my brain thinks that up on the controller is just a little bit different from up in the game. That 1-5 degrees of difference is enough for me to die every time.

Someone recommended "A Hat in Time" but even that looks too hard.

Now-- to add an insult to injury, I took my switch on vacation. A let my 17 year old nephew use it and he got farther in "Hollow Knight" than i ever could. Frankly, watching how he played it, I can sincerely say I could NEVER use the controls the way he did.

So, what is the best suggestion for a FUN, non-grindy game for the switch that even someone with, say Parkinson's or Cerebral Palsy could play? Because I feel like I would be on that level (or worse).

• 1Like

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The Pokeman games seem like they are made for 4 year old's with cerebral palsy. Do you feel the need to catch them all?

spronk

FPS noob

Overwatch for switch
20 SNES games being added to switch online (no extra fees?) tomorrow
some cool stuff on pokemon sword/shield
Divinity Original Sin II coming to switch, can import steam save
Tokyo Mirage Sessions FE coming to switch Jan 2020
Daemon X Machina Sept 13
Star Wars classics like Jedi Knight II coming to switch

EDp06l8UcAAYaUd.jpg

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Can't believe Deadly goddamned Premonition is getting a sequel. An announcement has never come more out of nowhere.

Coleslaw

Blackwing Lair Raider
About time for SNES. NES games are so overrated. Yes they helped move the industry in the right direction and were historical, but the SNES library just shits on all of the games.

Link to the Past will be the first game I play for sure.

Xenoblade Definitive edition will be a buy as well. I have it on my New 3DS (the only exclusive game for that system lol) and fuck playing it on that small of a screen.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Xenoblade is a for sure buy. Might purchase that Tokyo Mirage Sessions game, skipped it on the Wii U but I did hear decent things about it.

Last edited:
  • 1Like