Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'm debating the swap, but I carry around a 20100 mAh power bank with me, so I'm not sure I'd really get much benefit out of the extra battery. It's the heat issue that is more tempting from my perspective. I've been really concerned about how hot the thing is getting while docked and playing FE3H. Why they ever thought designing that thing the way they did was a good idea is beyond me. Not only is it is a waste of space, the thing scratches up the screen and it almost completely blocks the air intake vents. I don't even care about the portability of a 3rd party dock at this point, I just want that POS gone even if the new one never moves from my shelf.

Only reason I hesitate is because my Switch was bought on Black Friday, so I'm still under warranty. If it does ever get so hot that it warps the case like some people have had happen, I assume there's a decent chance they'd replace it with a new model. Plus I can just wait and trade mine in on whatever sale GameStop has for this year's BF.

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
I'm debating the swap, but I carry around a 20100 mAh power bank with me, so I'm not sure I'd really get much benefit out of the extra battery. It's the heat issue that is more tempting from my perspective. I've been really concerned about how hot the thing is getting while docked and playing FE3H. Why they ever thought designing that thing the way they did was a good idea is beyond me. Not only is it is a waste of space, the thing scratches up the screen and it almost completely blocks the air intake vents. I don't even care about the portability of a 3rd party dock at this point, I just want that POS gone even if the new one never moves from my shelf.

I got something similar to the link below for my Dad's house for when the kids visit Grandpa. Ended up liking it more than the original so his house now has the original dock.

Vorph

Any replacement dock currently available has a chance of bricking your Switch because the console doesn't use the actual USB-C PD standard when it is connected to the dock and outputting HDMI. Since the third party docks all send standard PD, there's a chance of frying the chip that handles splitting up the USB-C signal into power and video out.

There's only two safe options: buy one of the empty case ones and cannibalize your current dock for its innards, or order the Kickstarter one that spronk linked last week. I'm going with option B since I intend to trade mine in and there's some risk of messing up the contacts on the ribbon cable if you go the other way.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
Any replacement dock currently available has a chance of bricking your Switch because the console doesn't use the actual USB-C PD standard when it is connected to the dock and outputting HDMI. Since the third party docks all send standard PD, there's a chance of frying the chip that handles splitting up the USB-C signal into power and video out.

There's only two safe options: buy one of the empty case ones and cannibalize your current dock for its innards, or order the Kickstarter one that spronk linked last week. I'm going with option B since I intend to trade mine in and there's some risk of messing up the contacts on the ribbon cable if you go the other way.

Well shit did not know that. Guess no more TV playing until I can get the original dock back. Tossed in for that Kickstarter, if it works as well as advertised it will be awesome for hotel traveling provided the HDMI isn't disabled.

spronk

FPS noob
So is it "faster" or just better battery? Only my kids play it off the dock so...bah! Lol

i played FE3H last night in bed for about 2 hours and didn't notice any diff in screen, but battery definitely is better. basically 50% more battery life with no other change. The CPU is apparently faster, but nintendo has it locked to launch switch speed and devs aren't allowed to overclock it.

I think its kinda pointless speculating what nintendo will do in 2020, but its pretty safe to say nothing is going to change hardware wise in the next 6 months other than switch and switch lite existing.

Last edited:

spronk

FPS noob

seems impressive. Oct 15th release date. Wonder if big N will allow the nudity

• 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 user

Crone

Travel a ton for work. Every single week I'm traveling and in a hotel and so I thought the Switch would see a lot of use. Not a single game have I been interested in playing on it. Couldn't even get into the best games like Zelda, Super Smash Bros, Super Mario Odyssey, or others. Have them all and my kids love it so it's not wasted. Just wish I liked anything on it. To be fair I'm not into anything on the Ps4 either though.

• 1Picard

spronk

FPS noob
try fire emblem 3 houses, i'm playing now and really digging it and i couldn't get into most of the switch games either. Its like a cross between harry potter, persona, and X-Com. i'm playing 2-3 hours a night

• 1Like

Vorph

If you can't find anything on Switch or PS4 I think it's time for a new hobby.

That said, I've tried Zelda on both Wii U and Switch and have no idea what it is people see in the game. Same goes for the rest of those first party Nintendo games. No interest in them at all, but there's plenty of good third party stuff on the Switch.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I can see not seeing anything on Switch - I cannot see not seeing anything however on PS4. Might want to take up knitting.

Crone

Yeah I can see not seeing anything on Switch - I cannot see not seeing anything however on PS4. Might want to take up knitting.
Lol. I've played a number of good games on Ps4. Spiderman is awesome and actually beat it. Can't get into God of War or HZ:D unfortunately.

I agree though. I'm the same on PC and gaming just isn't something I've been interested in lately. Time for some cross stitch and knitting! Gonna give WoW Classic a try and hope the social aspect keeps me going.

Will watch some fire emblem game play and see if it might be something I can get into.

Dodsengel

Trakanon Raider
Travel a ton for work. Every single week I'm traveling and in a hotel and so I thought the Switch would see a lot of use. Not a single game have I been interested in playing on it. Couldn't even get into the best games like Zelda, Super Smash Bros, Super Mario Odyssey, or others. Have them all and my kids love it so it's not wasted. Just wish I liked anything on it. To be fair I'm not into anything on the Ps4 either though.

I had a similar issue but I've been getting a lot of play out of the indie games available through the Eshop: Sky Force, Bloodstained, Axiom Verge, Hollow Knight, Dead Cells (probably my favorite of these), A Robot Named Fight, etc... I'm probably forgetting some but those are all well worth money and I've found them much more enjoyable than the mainstay titles.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Lol. I've played a number of good games on Ps4. Spiderman is awesome and actually beat it. Can't get into God of War or HZ:D unfortunately.

I agree though. I'm the same on PC and gaming just isn't something I've been interested in lately. Time for some cross stitch and knitting! Gonna give WoW Classic a try and hope the social aspect keeps me going.

Will watch some fire emblem game play and see if it might be something I can get into.

Yeah it happens. I have been trying to play things I don't normally play. But in the end, I keep playing the same games. Apex and Rocket League and Dead by Daylight. More and more fun out of the games are coming from the hilarity of the people I play with more than the games themselves.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
I've been holding out for the second version of the primary switch console and have been reading about the recent release. While the upgrades are nice, I was hoping for a bit more. Do you guys think they will release something soon or should I just buy the damn thing?

Vorph

There's not going to be anything else "soon". I wouldn't 'upgrade' to the new model unless your current one is already out of warranty though. That's my plan anyway, my warranty ends on Black Friday so I'll just get another deal again.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
There's not going to be anything else "soon". I wouldn't 'upgrade' to the new model unless your current one is already out of warranty though. That's my plan anyway, my warranty ends on Black Friday so I'll just get another deal again.

I don't own one yet, if you think I should upgrade than you probably highly recommend I buy my first one :)

Vorph

Ah, well I'd say that depends entirely on the games and how badly you want to play them.

spronk

FPS noob
well this week again you can take your old switch to gamestop, trade it in for $225 credit, and pay $300 for a new switch and walk out the door. you could probably even xfer it in store if they are cool and empty (like most gamestops HAHA), takes about 3 mins over hotspot wifi or w/e to transfer data, then you pop your microSD card out put it in the new switch and you're done. you have to redownload all your digital games no matter what.

the new switch revision is good for at least a year, switch lite comes out in 20 days and those two will be it till next spring.