Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
I tried it for about an hour yesterday, trying it more today

Regarding houses, I looked them up too. Other than story regarding the characters, the main differences are (they do not list their names when you first pick, but choices are listed in the order you get to pick them the first time the option comes up)

Choice 1 - Black Eagles = Magic unit focus. Should recruit focused melee users to make up for lack of physical powers.

Choice 2 - Blue Lions = Most powerful melee units. Can only have 2 magic users + one archer. Could have difficulty in ranged fights. Should recruit focused magic users.

Choice 3 - Golden Deer = No direct focus of units. Mix of all, no downsides but no direct focus of specific units either. No "must have" recruits.

I picked 3.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Actually you pick which house at the monastery and they go over what each house does. Plus you can view each character that belongs to each house. That tutorial choice doesn't matter. I was confused about that at first also.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
FE3H seems great so far, though I've only gotten a couple hours into it after marathoning The Boys. It's nice to finally get another Switch game that actually plays perfectly (aside from some ridiculously small fonts here and there) in portable mode.

Chose Black Eagles for no other reason than because Tara Platt voices Edelgard.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Actually you pick which house at the monastery and they go over what each house does. Plus you can view each character that belongs to each house. That tutorial choice doesn't matter. I was confused about that at first also.

Yeah I figured that out like an hour after I posted that post earlier

Vorph

Guess it's been too long since I played a FE game because I have no idea what the hell I should be doing in between battles.

Also, this game REALLY heats up the Switch. I haven't had it shut down on me yet but the fan goes into overdrive the whole time I'm playing. The heat is worse while docked, but having the fan running at 100% seems to drain the battery really fast in portable mode. Not like Caligula Effect fast, since that game is just straight up broken, but I have to plug in my powerbank at around the 2.5 hour mark.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Guess it's been too long since I played a FE game because I have no idea what the hell I should be doing in between battles.

Also, this game REALLY heats up the Switch. I haven't had it shut down on me yet but the fan goes into overdrive the whole time I'm playing. The heat is worse while docked, but having the fan running at 100% seems to drain the battery really fast in portable mode. Not like Caligula Effect fast, since that game is just straight up broken, but I have to plug in my powerbank at around the 2.5 hour mark.
2.5 hours is actually pretty good. Can barely get 90 minutes out of it in portable mode, but I'm guessing that's due to battery abuse/lack of battery training (have let it stay drained for long periods of time). Finally got my power plug to stay plugged in and not sparking, risking setting fire to the house. Curious if the default plug that came with mine isn't standard US, since it's a UK plug with an adapter and no ground. Don't even know where it was bought from since my wife got it for my birthday a couple years ago.

Szlia

Are there enough Super Mario Maker 2 players around here to make it worth creating a topic to share cool levels / makers / stuff we made?

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
FE3H is really good - probably my GOTY up to this point (pretty weak year so far though). Everyone should play it if you like Tactical RPGs - even if you have never played a Fire Emblem game before.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Vorph

The game is excellent but I wish they'd kept the weapon triangle and got rid of the fucking retarded growth system. Nothing worse than getting multiple +2's in a row or not having the stat you care about get any upgrades at all for several levels.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Picked up the fire emblem game, was quickly reminded why it’s always so hard for me to get into them. Layers upon layers of mechanics and systems. Going to try to say fuck it and just play and let it ride, but really hard for me to do that

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
this seems kinda cool, a kickstarted switch dock that seperately connects HDMI/USB. nothing really fancy or complicated, basically just a way to carry around a dock in a much smaller format

i'm fine with my dock and never really connect my switch to any TV when its not at home so not buying it but i could see it useful for fucking millennials who want to play mario kart at bars

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Vorph

Damn, that's pretty tempting. I've been thinking about getting one of the ones where you take your dock apart and put the guts of it in a tiny case, but that's a much better option. Pretty much all other 3rd party mini-docks have potential to brick the Switch, but they seem to have solved the problem. I like the idea of the HDMI being plugged into the adapter instead of the Switch and it's cool you can pass data back through the USB 3 port too, though I'd be a bit concerned about how well they will be able to shield the sensitive bits from AC power in a case that small.

i'm fine with my dock and never really connect my switch to any TV when its not at home so not buying it but i could see it useful for fucking millennials who want to play mario kart at bars
Meh, I already carry a USB-C charger with me always for my phone/laptop/tablet/Switch, might as well have it double as a Switch dock too. A good high wattage USB-C PD multiport charger is $40 by itself these days.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
Gamestop is currently offering $225 trade in for current switches ($200 + $25 bonus), most have the new regular switch model in stock as well. The launch switches come in a white (red fringe) box, the new switches come in an all red box. Paying $75+tax isn't a terrible deal to upgrade, especially if your switch is nearly 2 years old - new warranty, better battery life, yadda yadda. Sadly Nintendo still hasn't apparently fixed its joycon drift issue, so new switches can still have that problem.

just remember to pop out and keep your microSD card if you upgrade, and deactivate your old system before you take it in.

a_skeleton_00

<Banned>
For FE3H my experiences:

Dmitris story is pretty self contained, Claudes gives the most world lore. Edelgards and Church route are super fun and some ruthless shit goes down. Excited for the DLC and new story, hoping for a 5th route.

Of the classes, Master classes are awesome but their abilities given for "mastering" them isn't nearly as powerful as some of the lower tier masteries. Gremory is insane, fliers are the most OP, and some of paralogues give battalions that are absolute units.

NewGame+ is incredible because of the ability to spend renown to improve bonds abilties etc.

If FFT is the best tactical game ever, i think this is 2nd. It beats out the langrisser series, xcom (old and new) etc.

Doing a Golden Deer playthrough right now where I'm going all Budding Talents and classes based off them, should be hype.

• 1Like

Nija

<Silver Donator>
WOW the Nintendo transfer process is bad. This is a game system for kids, right? If you have kids, or multiple users, like I do, before you do the trade in MAKE SURE you have a unique Nintendo account for every single user.

To transfer from one system to another you MUST have a Nintendo account, even though the transfer is done via local wireless. You can't tell it to move User1 on ConsoleA to User1 on Console2. You MUST have a valid, email based Nintendo account.

In short, my 6 year old just lost his Smash Bros and Kirby saves because there's also not an option to copy your save games to the SD card. Hell, he doesn't even have an email address. I'll have to create him one now to get this going so that it doesn't happen again.

spronk

FPS noob
yeah i bought a new switch today as well (new model), to transfer from my existing switch it was pretty easy but it only copied save data and some profile stuff (took like 3 mins total over wifi) to system data, it won't copy any digital games. after i xferred i took the microSD out of my old switch, put it into my new switch, and it only allows you to reformat it. You can redownload all your digital games super easy though, just go to eshop, click on your icon, and there is a redownload button to redl every game.

you lose your home screen setup so gotta redo that icon layout, and loses your /played time but saves came over ok.

don't honestly notice a single difference, feels exactly the same but apparently the battery life is like 50% better and the CPU is faster, just nintendo has locked it at launch switch levels for now. It only cost me $75 to upgrade at gamestop ($200 trade + $25 bonus) and i have a lot of trade credit so easy decision.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Everything about their online accounts and parental controls fucking blows. As a family console, they should be better than this.

spronk

FPS noob

if you do somehow get an old switch with a receipt nintendo will swap it for the new model. pretty nice of them.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
It just has a better battery, I think the CPU is to make it more efficient.

Last edited: