Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Awesome hope you like it. I have never followed pokemon in my life. What has everyone all up in arms? Because it's getting some severe Nintendo fan beating right now on Reddit and just about everywhere else.
Weebs won't have a national dex, any pokemon?, for their weird ass competitive pvp or something

Skinner

Trakanon Raider
I haven't played Pokemon since the original 20 years ago and review websites these days are so fucked, biased, and often political that I refuse to give them even the courtesy of a click.

So, can someone who has actually played the game here say what's up? The only thing I've heard so far is apparently the game is really easy, at least one animation is awful (the kick one posted here), and someone said world animations stop when going up/down ladders. Is there anything else? Are all/most animations like the "kick" one shown? How drastic has the game changed since the original 20 years ago and how does this one compare to that one? What's all the controversy?

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Awesome hope you like it. I have never followed pokemon in my life. What has everyone all up in arms? Because it's getting some severe Nintendo fan beating right now on Reddit and just about everywhere else.
They cut a lot of old Pokemon and changed something about the online storage system. Who cares. Still 400 damn Pokemon in the game and I used to be happy with 150 lol.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
The drama is that Gamefreak said they had to cut half the Pokemon because all the new models and animations for the new system would be impossible with 800+

However they already made higher res models and animations than what they needed for the 3DS a few years ago to future proof them, so everyone was wondering why they didn't use those models.

Game comes out and... yeah it's the 3DS models. And some of the animations are pretty simple. So why did they cut half of the Pokemon? They lied.

So then every minor complaint got snowballed from there, when normally such things would be overlooked.

The games only ever have 150-300 catchable, it's just that people are transferring their Pokemon from games as far back as the Gameboy Advance which brings the number up to 800+.

Personally I've got a lv100 Starmie from probably Pokemon Emerald and it's getting boring, so it'll do me good to have to use something else I guess.

Last edited:

Chris

Potato del Grande
As for the game, it's fine.

The good:
Random battles are gone, you can see every Pokemon in tall grass and avoid them if you wish.

You can get a wide variety of Pokemon, exp candy and endgame moves in the wild area after the 1st Gym.

All the random bullshit routes and dungeons with 100s trainer battles and zubats are gone, it's pretty streamlined with something like 2 short linear routes then a gym. This is a negative but I want to play online ladder so I don't care.

All the towns and routes look great and I recognise actual British cities in the designs. Fire Gym town is Manchester, Dragon Gym town is Edinburgh for example.

The bad:
You'll be a few levels over anything you face, especially if you spend time in the wild area. I'm one shotting most things.

Wild area raids (4v1 battles like Pokemon Go) don't work, I've had a grand total of 1 person join my raid, it's easy with just x3 AI players.

The wild area looks like shit, for some reason they just made two routes be an open world MMO zone and it's jarring. It's all finished after the 3rd gym, so hopefully it scales up in level later otherwise why is your major feature done at lv30? I feel like the whole game was going to be like this and they backtracked after they couldn't pull it off.

The story is handholding cringe, it's not Skyward Sword bad, it's worse than Sun/Moon though. Characters brag about how it's a close match or they let you win when you one shot them. The entire cast follows you city to city.

Dynamax only works in Gym battles and Raids and I don't know what the point of it is as it's always against a Dynamaxed AI enemy, so it cancels out. Mega Evolution and Z Moves were way better.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I put in a couple of hours so far, it's pretty good. My dex is at 20 I think and I just got to the wild area, dicked around a little before getting smashed by a wild spawn five levels above me.

Random battles are not completely gone, exclamation points in the tall grass are sometimes more rare pokémon for the route and ones that won't show walking around. Two bug types and Purloin on route 2, for example.

I do like that your dex gives you a notice when you catch all of the spawns in an area.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I put in a couple of hours so far, it's pretty good. My dex is at 20 I think and I just got to the wild area, dicked around a little before getting smashed by a wild spawn five levels above me.

Random battles are not completely gone, exclamation points in the tall grass are sometimes more rare pokémon for the route and ones that won't show walking around. Two bug types and Purloin on route 2, for example.

I do like that your dex gives you a notice when you catch all of the spawns in an area.
Yeah you can have mystery Pokemon spawn, my point was that you can avoid even those if you want.

It's pretty cool that each route has like 6 Pokemon you can see then more you can't. It's like you are guaranteed to see a basic selection but you can delve deeper if you like. It's much better than walking up and down the same grass section.

Siliconemelons

Random for deals: some top down helicopter arcade shooter was on sale for 1 cent on the Nintendo e-shop... blossom tale and axiom verge are on sale also

Chris

Potato del Grande
OK just done two non linear dungeon like areas before the 5th and 6th gyms. Routes have lots of hidden items.

Difficulty is also increasing and my team is now similar level to things I'm encountering in the wild, which are more difficult to avoid.

I think a lot of the complaints were just bullshit nitpicking.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
5 and 6 year old playing their own made up version of the game. My son manipulates the game so he usually beats his sister. Lol

20191116_162716.jpg

• 2Like

a_skeleton_00

<Banned>
20191116_171006.jpg

All 8 just under 14 hours abusing Soak. Grookey was my choice because I wanted to exploit and burn through the game but Scorbunny is best starter by far once Protean is available.

Game is gonna be fucking sick for comp battling even can see that 2 days in lol

Chris

Potato del Grande
Became champion in 20 hours.

I was actually slightly under levelled at the end and really enjoyed the end sequence. With everything else cut down it was weird to have the Pokemon league be more bosses than usual.

Did I want it to be 30-40 hours with Zubat filled dungeons and routes full of Hikers with Geodude and fishermen with Magikarp? I'm not sure, as an adult I'm happy that I can get stuck into online battles ASAP.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
So I have really been wondering about the longevity of this game, I don't really count the aspect of going out there and filling your Pokedex to be an integral part of worthwhile story even though I will do it and I actually find it fun.

From what I remember some of the older Pokemon games had side quest for stuff like figuring out team rocket, the pathway to Pokemon master, and becoming one of the final five, does this game even have anything remotely similar?

The game is super easy, which is nice because I bought it for my kid to play but he blows at games ATM...getting better...pokemon is actually the first game where his running at walls and mashing buttons has actually paid off in wins. It feels like the "Bad Guys" are mainly just annoying people and not bad (Jesus christ their name is cringe as fuck too, "Team Yell"?), hoping that maybe once I get closer to the end some deeper plot opens up...

---

EDIT:

Adding what I asked a couple friends:

So many design choice questions in relation to Pokémon sword.

Why, when most all of the games i play on the switch use (-)(+) as menu buttons does Pokemon use X? I know bike is bound to -/+ but really...could have bound bike to anything else, "Casual Mode" controls be damned. (I mean you could still bind it to anything else in casual mode too...)

Why localized weather-systems to a patch of grass...after playing BotW for a while and seeing the AMAZING weather effects in that game it amazes me that they chose to jarringly change weather based on each patch of grass (yeah I understand each wilds area is broken into places...but the places are so close and with a bike...they may as well be changing based on patch of grass)

finally...more a worry, is this all for areas? I know in past Pokémon games when you defeated the gym champs you basically got a new quest to be the best of the best in the final 5 which opened up a new continent in some games.

Chris

Potato del Grande
So I have really been wondering about the longevity of this game, I don't really count the aspect of going out there and filling your Pokedex to be an integral part of worthwhile story even though I will do it and I actually find it fun.

From what I remember some of the older Pokemon games had side quest for stuff like figuring out team rocket, the pathway to Pokemon master, and becoming one of the final five, does this game even have anything remotely similar?

The game is super easy, which is nice because I bought it for my kid to play but he blows at games ATM...getting better...pokemon is actually the first game where his running at walls and mashing buttons has actually paid off in wins. It feels like the "Bad Guys" are mainly just annoying people and not bad (Jesus christ their name is cringe as fuck too, "Team Yell"?), hoping that maybe once I get closer to the end some deeper plot opens up...

---

EDIT:

Adding what I asked a couple friends:

So many design choice questions in relation to Pokémon sword.

Why, when most all of the games i play on the switch use (-)(+) as menu buttons does Pokemon use X? I know bike is bound to -/+ but really...could have bound bike to anything else, "Casual Mode" controls be damned. (I mean you could still bind it to anything else in casual mode too...)

Why localized weather-systems to a patch of grass...after playing BotW for a while and seeing the AMAZING weather effects in that game it amazes me that they chose to jarringly change weather based on each patch of grass (yeah I understand each wilds area is broken into places...but the places are so close and with a bike...they may as well be changing based on patch of grass)

finally...more a worry, is this all for areas? I know in past Pokémon games when you defeated the gym champs you basically got a new quest to be the best of the best in the final 5 which opened up a new continent in some games.
The Elite Four and the Champion is in every other game except maybe Sun/Moon (can't remember). Usually with your rival being just before.

Yes it's in the game. The tournament is a little different, you fight your 3 rivals first, then 3 gym leaders, then the Champion. So it's a little longer than usual.

There's also the figuring out the bad guys section which is a minion gauntlet and two bosses then two legendary fights. Its comparable to previous games. You probably realised already but it's not Team Yell.

There's a sideques to get another legendary I haven't done but seems like a good few dynamax battles.

The new continent was only ever in Silver/Gold where you could explore the original Red/Blue areas and it was amazing. Other games usually had a few extra dungeons, this one doesn't have that, the Wild Area just gets bumped up to lv60.

Basically the game is lacking dungeons, that's the big cut. Most other things are in. The other notable absence is only 3 legendaries so far, there's usually two sets of 3 and a few randoms. They usually add more though.

• 1Like

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
The new continent was only ever in Silver/Gold where you could explore the original Red/Blue areas and it was amazing

Damn, apparently the one I played got me all spoiled.

I remember the unknowns and trying to find a billion different things and that the world was or felt, massive.

Siliconemelons

The switch is a great console, it's Nintendo so it's not LEET GRPX GAMERZ - it's... Nintendo.

So anytime you can get the console + a game you actually want - for "standard or below" console price - considered it good.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Have my copy waiting at home. It looks awesome. I've been playing Pokemon for 20 years and I don't give a single fuck about the "controversy" over this one. It looks great.
i have never played a pokemon but would like to know what this "controvery" is about?

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
I know I'm late to the party but I've only recently played Hollow Knight since I'm trying to catch up on my backlog of games (finished the PS4 backlog and 3 games to do on Switch, woo) and good lord that game is frickin amazing. The soundtrack, the gameplay, the world-building is all top notch.

Can't wait for the sequel to come out next year.

• 2Like