Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
i mean, a few months ago a kid came over and i just gave him the switch with mario to keep him occupied, looked like he was just holding up a dinner tray for hours, both have their pros and cons.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
My kids love it. Splatoon, Pokemon shit, all the cheap indie titles like Blossom Tales or Steamworld Dig, the Mario stuff, especially the Luigi stuff, marvel Ultimate Alliance, etc. Mine are a little older than yours, but my 7 year old has been playing since it came out and Splatoon is her shit.

I'd recommend getting the full version so you can play with your kid sometimes. Playing Mario Kart with my kids is pretty fun. For me, not them, they fucking suck and I destroy them.

• 5Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 6 users

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
I'd recommend getting the full version so you can play with your kid sometimes. Playing Mario Kart with my kids is pretty fun. For me, not them, they fucking suck and I destroy them.

100% on the full console stance Tuco Tuco ... also can my kid add your kids chaos chaos because he BLOWS at games, getting better but man he's 4 and can barely make it thru yoshi's world or whatever, the demo.

Bought Luigi's mansion and he likes it but he's a wall inspector.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I gave a 4 year old my Playstation Controller and fired up the Pro. He had no idea what he was doing in any of the games he played but I threw in a Lego game, Horizon Zero Dawn, and a few other graphically cool things. He loved it. I said hey want to play this switch? Handed him the Pro controller, threw in Mario, he jacked around for a little bit and played with Mario Kart, and said, "it's fuzzy I do not like these ones". Damn right little buddy. 720p/1080p suck.

Put the Dual Shock in his hand and off he went for the next 4 hours roaming the beauty of the worlds in PS4 Pro.

Good kid that kid.

spronk

FPS noob
kids love switch lites and its a lot more durable. kids are too stupid to understand playing on TV is better, don't you remember as a kid your <atari lynx | gameboy | Turbografix | whatever monstrosity Sega had> as way cooler than NES/SNES/pc/etc?

nice thing is nintendo supports 2 systems now per account, one just has to be always online to play. so give that kid the lite and a few games, if you like nintendo games you can buy a regular switch for yourself. everyones running $299 deals on a new one with a $30 kickback GC, its that price now at best buy and amazon and will be at target this sunday

switch lite is $199 everywhere no deals cuz fuck you, its nintendo

worldx

Trakanon Raider
I'm thinking about buying a switch for my almost 5 year old for Christmas, someone please convince me not to.

I let my almost 4 year old niece play with the Switch, and she was not getting it. Don't do it! Had to convince the grandpa not to buy it even though she was crying when I left with the Switch.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
kids love switch lites and its a lot more durable. kids are too stupid to understand playing on TV is better, don't you remember as a kid your <atari lynx | gameboy | Turbografix | whatever monstrosity Sega had> as way cooler than NES/SNES/pc/etc?

nice thing is nintendo supports 2 systems now per account, one just has to be always online to play. so give that kid the lite and a few games, if you like nintendo games you can buy a regular switch for yourself. everyones running $299 deals on a new one with a $30 kickback GC, its that price now at best buy and amazon and will be at target this sunday

switch lite is $199 everywhere no deals cuz fuck you, its nintendo
interesting about the 2 systems per account. I could see buying him the switch and getting the lite later. For now I don't even know if I want him roaming around with the thing vs only playing it in one spot with some rules about it.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Honestly 4 years old seems a bit early for a dedicated gaming system. If anything just get them a cheap tablet and download some free games

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Honestly 4 years old seems a bit early for a dedicated gaming system. If anything just get them a cheap tablet and download some free games

Hogwash. I was playing on my dedicated Pong Machine when I was 5.

Start em young, start em proud.

• 1Like

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Anyone try the Luigi Mansion 2 game? I can't get my kids to get off Roblox except for occasional switch games, and maybe this co-op game is decent, and something we can play.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
I gave a 4 year old my Playstation Controller and fired up the Pro. He had no idea what he was doing in any of the games he played but I threw in a Lego game, Horizon Zero Dawn, and a few other graphically cool things. He loved it. I said hey want to play this switch? Handed him the Pro controller, threw in Mario, he jacked around for a little bit and played with Mario Kart, and said, "it's fuzzy I do not like these ones". Damn right little buddy. 720p/1080p suck.

Put the Dual Shock in his hand and off he went for the next 4 hours roaming the beauty of the worlds in PS4 Pro.

Good kid that kid.

This sounds like a fake reddit story where everyone claps at the end.

• 2Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Get it for him. Don't be lame! Its a constant fight over who gets the TV for Ps4, Switch, Netflix, etc. Luckily whoever has the Switch usually is all like fuck you all and just goes portable into the other room. Leaves the rest of them to fight it out.

6 year old loves the Switch and Ps4. Games are fun on both, and no reason not to have both systems with dozens of games?

• 1Like

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Get it for him. Don't be lame! Its a constant fight over who gets the TV for Ps4, Switch, Netflix, etc. Luckily whoever has the Switch usually is all like fuck you all and just goes portable into the other room. Leaves the rest of them to fight it out.

6 year old loves the Switch and Ps4. Games are fun on both, and no reason not to have both systems with dozens of games?
sounds like you need to buy a few tvs and wall brackets for xmas

• 1Like

Gator

Molten Core Raider
Bought my 7 year old a switch for Christmas. Got him Minecraft, Pokemon: let's go evee, and Paw Patrol. I think he is set for awhile. Who knows, maybe my 4 year old daughter will also like it.

Bought myself Zelda when it was $30.

I went ahead and set it up so when he unpacks it there's no down time of setting it up /updates. I like the parental features and what you can do with the switch. Pretty cool! But why is there no pin codes for the individual profiles. I find that mind boggling.

• 1Like

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Bought my 7 year old a switch for Christmas. Got him Minecraft, Pokemon: let's go evee, and Paw Patrol. I think he is set for awhile. Who knows, maybe my 4 year old daughter will also like it.

Bought myself Zelda when it was $30.

I went ahead and set it up so when he unpacks it there's no down time of setting it up /updates. I like the parental features and what you can do with the switch. Pretty cool! But why is there no pin codes for the individual profiles. I find that mind boggling.
i believe you have to d/l the app for your phone

and then put a parental lock on your own master profile

at least thats what i told a dude to do, cuz like you he was afraid his kid was gonna go hog and just buy up $200 from the eshop ha

Gator

Molten Core Raider
No, it's really odd how they have it set up. They have a PIN feature but it's to override the parental controls because the parental controls are not set to the individual user but the console itself. The problem is nothing is stopping anyone from using your switch and accessing your games under your name so essentially the kids could go and erase my games / saves / enter the eshop. Yes, I could set a password for entering the eshop to prevent this but I shouldn't have to resort to these measures if they would just give me a PIN to access everything under my profile. Maybe I'm missing something but the bit of googling I did tells me I'm not the only one with these concerns.

This is the closest you can get to locking down the switch which is ridiculous and will also prevent your kids from getting into it until its unlocked. But still doesn't prevent them from accessing your profile once unlocked.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
interesting about the 2 systems per account. I could see buying him the switch and getting the lite later. For now I don't even know if I want him roaming around with the thing vs only playing it in one spot with some rules about it.

if you get a lite, you can slip a game in the box
jw9s1jqmt9441.jpg

• 1Like