Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

spronk

FPS noob
So...is there a reliable way to jailbreak any version of this thing yet?

You all talking about Animal Crossing and my own experiences with Pokemans makes me think that there is literally no reason to have an unmodded console.

The v2s and switch lites are not yet hackable. There have been leaks of possibles but I think so far nothing concrete. Its nowhere near as simple as 3ds/wii/wii u, the current hacks require a jig inserted into the right joycon slot to force a specific mode on the Tegra chip etc etc.

Once you do hack you can't go online at all really either with Nintendo's services. So no Animal Crossing farm sharing or Pokemon with friends and other shit like that, also no Nintendo cloud saves although obviously you can just backup your own damn games if you jail break it.

Honestly with how few switch first party "good" games there are I don't honestly see a reason to bother, nowadays your phone can run emulators better and faster than a switch can and its pretty easy to pair a controller with a phone and prop it on a stand (or all in one it) so the big advantage, running it as an emulator machine, is a bit of a draw imo. If the switch lite gets hacked it gets a bit more interesting since thats a far more useful portable light machine.

I'd expect before end of life to see a software only hack, its kinda surprising it hasn't happened yet.

I hacked my v1 switch, it was fun and cool but ultimately I'd rather use online features of the games I do like to play - Smash, Fire Emblem, Pokemons, etc - than run pirated copies of games and never be able to go online or use my own nintendo network ID. I ended up trading in the v1 hacked switch (after resetting) and buying a v2, because the v2 has better battery life. Like almost 50% better.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
So...is there a reliable way to jailbreak any version of this thing yet?

You all talking about Animal Crossing and my own experiences with Pokemans makes me think that there is literally no reason to have an unmodded console.
last i read it was a tethered jailbreak i believe, so just waiting around for untethered, maybe i'll check now to see

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I gave my regular switch to my youngest son and bought a switch lite for me. I've literally never taken it apart to hook it up to the tv before so I figured may as well. I like the slightly longer battery life and lighter feel.

fat12

Trakanon Raider
Anyone played Baldurs Gate on the switch? Never played the original, wondering if I should pick it up on here.

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
Anyone played Baldurs Gate on the switch? Never played the original, wondering if I should pick it up on here.

I've played it for a few hours - plays pretty well, and once you get used to the controls it does have some nice quality of life features - but you'll need to google them as not much in the way of instructions. For the record I am a huge BG fanboy.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
spronk spronk Not sure if you've been keeping up with the 3DS jailbreaks, but was curious if you remember if you could firmware update your 3DS if you already jailbroke it? I have Homebrew on my 3DS, which I believe is at version 11.8? Could be wrong, but I thought I remember you reading you could firmware update, as long as you had it cracked from a earlier firmware version? It still makes me laugh that Nintendo had such a glaring hole in their e-shop that the crack let's you download and play literally any game on the E-shop. You download it straight from Nintendo, np.

Vorph

I updated mine several times after jailbreaking it. Been a while (PQ2) since I played anything the 3DS but the instructions for jailbreaking 11.8 from scratch say to update to latest fw. Since yours is already done, it shouldn't matter if you update either.

spronk

FPS noob
havent turned on my 3ds since i got a switch so no clue honestly but the faq at FAQ seems to say you can update system firmware np

Crone

I updated mine several times after jailbreaking it. Been a while (PQ2) since I played anything the 3DS but the instructions for jailbreaking 11.8 from scratch say to update to latest fw. Since yours is already done, it shouldn't matter if you update either.
That's probably why when I try and download anything off the Homebrew "shop" , it gives an error. I'll firmware update, and then try and run Homebrew app again to get a game.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I dug my switch out of a drawer and charged it up. Might need to download some games for it.

I have a super old firmware on it and SX OS do I need to update for anything special?

Vorph

That's probably why when I try and download anything off the Homebrew "shop" , it gives an error. I'll firmware update, and then try and run Homebrew app again to get a game.
Nah, that's because they fixed the freeShop exploit like a year and a half ago. Last few games I had to get directly from 3dsiso, but apparently they just got shutdown too. Looks like ziperto.com is the only working ROM site now.

Don't just update the firmware btw, you'll want to make sure you have the latest Luma as well.

Crone

Nah, that's because they fixed the freeShop exploit like a year and a half ago. Last few games I had to get directly from 3dsiso, but apparently they just got shutdown too. Looks like ziperto.com is the only working ROM site now.

Don't just update the firmware btw, you'll want to make sure you have the latest Luma as well.
Aww man the freeshop exploit was the best!

fat12

Trakanon Raider
Anyone have a Ring Fit they'd like to sell? Guess everyone stuck at home is having the same ideas, damned hivemind.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I shelved the Switch for awhile since Super Smash Bros. I turned it back on last week since we're all not going anywhere. I started binge playing a bunch of games that I started but never finished. Since last week, I've finished "Hollow Knight (great fucking game), "Dead Cells," "Luigi's Mansion," "Celeste (why don't people talk more about this game?)," and just tonight I finally finished "Zelda: Link's Awakening." I'm going to try and finally finish "Octopath Traveler" starting tomorrow. I'm kinda glad this mandated quarantine happened. I've fallen in love with my Switch all over again.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users