Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

spronk

FPS noob
Yeah, I absolutely hate that I can't use my bluetooth buds when I do try to use this thing in hand held mode. My use case for hand held is almost entirely in bed (hehehehe) and I just can't ever get comfortable playing anything that's not like Fire Emblem in that situation.

there are third party dongles that let you route audio through them and then to wireless bluetooth but you have to attach it at the charging port so its pretty awkward. I guess if you get like a whole rig you could probably hook up an extended battery, bluetooth thing, and even an 8bitdo/xbox/ps4 controller wireless hookup but at what point does a simple handheld gaming device turn into an 80s "laptop"

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
For anyone else who was still undecided on MHS2 until the reviews dropped, it just came back into stock at Amazon and as a bonus it's $10 cheaper than everywhere else (for Switch physical copies only, in case that's not obvious).

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
99% of my Switch usage has been in docked mode, but it is still limited by the hardware so the switch port of any game is always considered the neutered version by default.

I did not expect that to change until Nintendo moves on to another generation (which they have no incentive to do right now) so this non-announcement is par for the course.

I've used portable mode maybe 20% of the time with Switch, but I actually love that it's available. When the PS4 came out there was a lot of talk about how it'd have remote play features with the PS Vita, and I was stoked to be able to take a game with me portably if I needed to go get on a train, or my GF wanted to take over the main TV. I don't know what became of that whole idea, or if it ended up working out well. Never got a Vita for some reason. Probably the lack of system-exclusive games that interested me, and it being a PS4-extension wasn't enough.

I don't know if Nintendo is going to move onto another generation any time soon. This will probably be at least an 8-year gen like the Wii, probably even longer. The Switch is just too good at the things it's actually good at, portability and flexibility. It's great for teenagers in particular. When I was a teenager I played Game Boy more than I played SNES/N64/PS1 for a while there. They don't have a reason to innovate beyond upgrading the hardware to compete with their competitors and at the very least not be embarassed by how their games look. A Switch Pro is probably going to be a given, and it'll probably extend the life of the system too.

TL;DR: I don't think we're going to see another new Nintendo system before like 2030, and in the meantime we'll probably see a bunch of different versions of the Switch with different enhancements. A dock-only Pro version being the biggest, but not a separate system. Meaning it'll enhance games, but everything will still be playable on a normal Switch. Mark my words, they have no reason to abandon the system. I myself would shell out for a Pro version of the system because in a head-to-head on my TV the PS5's graphics make the Switch's look like an obsolete last-gen toy. Nintendo did a great job on innovation, now they need to bump up the power. Remember when the "NX" was first announced and said to have "industry-leading" graphics? That would have been something, but Nintendo doesn't seem to have something like that in them.

For anyone else who was still undecided on MHS2 until the reviews dropped, it just came back into stock at Amazon and as a bonus it's $10 cheaper than everywhere else (for Switch physical copies only, in case that's not obvious).

Is MHS2 really good? I'm still a few games behind on the MH series.

Vorph

Is MHS2 really good? I'm still a few games behind on the MH series.
Reviews seem to suggest that it is. It's very different (as in it's a turn-based JRPG and not an action game at all) from MH Rise though.

I'm hoping it turns out as good as Yakuza 7's genre shift did, though that might be a bit too optimistic.
---------------------------

Pretty sure I'm going to grab Ender Lilies tomorrow too. Anyone have that on Switch? That's what I'm leaning towards, but if it has performance issues like Bloodstained did I'll just go with Xbox instead.

spronk

FPS noob
MHS2 is also on PC/steam (but not ps4/xbox, weirdly) and i'd assume for non kids thats the better platform since you get stable 60 fps, i think the switch one runs at 30 fps and even that dips

Vorph

Eh, if Rise is easily playable at 30 fps on Switch, I'm sure a turn-based combat spin-off will be just fine. Shit like the grass pop-in, near total lack of graphics options, and other stuff ACG pointed out would really bug me on PC, but I can ignore that stuff on the Switch. Especially since it's the kind of game I'll actually use handheld mode for.

I agree it's weird there is a PC version but nothing on other consoles though. I'd most likely have gone with XSX if it had been an option.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, I absolutely hate that I can't use my bluetooth buds when I do try to use this thing in hand held mode. My use case for hand held is almost entirely in bed (hehehehe) and I just can't ever get comfortable playing anything that's not like Fire Emblem in that situation.
Use this or something similar. It has no lag and attaches at the top in the 3.5 jack. I’ve had an older version I’ve used for years. Works great.

Not trying to excuse Nintendo’s poor design, but it’ll fix your situation.

Bluetooth 5.0 Audio Transmitter Receiver, Pairing 2 Earphones and Cellphones Simultaneously, 3 in 1 Microphone APTX Low Latency Wireless Music Adapter with 3.5mm Aux Port for TV/Car

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
I just found out about this game like 3 days ago and have been hyped to see it's not switch locked but ree irl - LET ME IN.

Untitled.png

Edit: Weeb rider checking in. Enjoying it so far.

Reviews seem to suggest that it is. It's very different (as in it's a turn-based JRPG and not an action game at all) from MH Rise though.

I'm hoping it turns out as good as Yakuza 7's genre shift did, though that might be a bit too optimistic.
---------------------------

Pretty sure I'm going to grab Ender Lilies tomorrow too. Anyone have that on Switch? That's what I'm leaning towards, but if it has performance issues like Bloodstained did I'll just go with Xbox instead.

Last edited:

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
So six hours later definitely recommend MHS2 if you're a JRPG fan and/or MH fan. It's pretty great so far with some surprisingly over the top attack animations and a gameplay loop that mimics the MH series hunts but obv with turn based combat. The egg gathering/hatching shit is a bit too pokemon for me so I doubt I'll do more than get monsters that are useful for fighting or open world abilities but I can see its appeal to that crowd. The quality of life stuff is big off the bat too. Gathering while riding your mount and instant ending fights against things you are overleveled against is A+.

hory

Pretty sad this is the newest hardware from Nintendo in like 4 years. I don't count a switch with a bigger battery.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vorph

Well, that was retarded. Went to Gamestop, because there's no way I'm buying the thing anywhere I can't trade in my old Switch. Store wasn't even open at ~14:55, but someone showed up as I got there. Nobody else waiting in line, so I hung around a few minutes. Get inside and the computer says the store is only getting 5 white ones and that's it, but it doesn't matter because 0 are available to preorder anyway.

Edit: On second thought, maybe I won't trade it in after all. People are getting basically full retail price on Ebay for a v1 unpatched Switch.

Last edited:

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
I was able to pre-order a white one from Best Buy for instore pick up. Wasnt planning on getting one but guess I am now.

Vorph

I was able to pre-order a white one from Best Buy for instore pick up. Wasnt planning on getting one but guess I am now.
Yeah, that's the only option I've seen so far. Best Buy is practically dead here though, they closed the two relatively convenient ones and now the only one left is an hour+ away. No ship to home option available for whatever reason.

Guess I'll just order from Amazon when it goes live now that I've learned that trading the old one in would be really dumb.

spronk

FPS noob
yeah white is still live at best buy but prob not much longer, you just have to wait around for the preorder button to go from grey to yellow and then rush through checkout

i preordered one but 99% gonna cancel, dont really give a fuck and the Switch Pro aka Steam Deck is way neater

you can try to preorder in store at gamestop but YMMV, gamestop online and walmart sold out. Target not up yet, amazon not up yet, but both will get botted.

90% sure this will have little to no resell value so resellers will start mass cancelling close to release, but who knows