Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

spronk

FPS noob
its already a bit confusing since you have NSO (switch online) personal plan or family plan, adding a NSO+ is gonna be awesome

Full direct i didn't watch

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Finally:

Sucks that it could still be a year or more away though. Just checked my Amazon preorder out of curiosity...
b3pre.png

Crazy that it's been so long and this is the first actual video they've ever shown of it.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Yeah, I logged into Steam this morning and Castlevania Advance popped up as now available, along with Actraiser Renaissance.

That was out of left field.

Vorph

Seeing as it's Nintendo and anywhere a buck can be saved, a buck will be saved... I guess it's safe to assume that the bus still maxes out at UHS-I (Class 10) speeds and there's no point in buying anything faster than the ~$20 256GB Silicon Power Micro SDXC card on Amazon? About to put in an order for a new card and a screen protector that fits the OLED so I have everything ready on 10/8.

New dock is kind of interesting. It looks quite a bit nicer than the old one, but I'm curious whether it will dissipate heat any better or not scratch up the screen. The ethernet port essentially replacing the "internal" USB port makes me suspect they wired it up via the old USB 2.0 connection and it will end up not being any faster than the USB ethernet dongle I'm already using on my current Switch. Sure, it's a lot faster than the abysmal Switch wifi speed, but it's nowhere close to the actual speed of my cable when I need to download a game or patch.

joz123

Potato del Grande
I will still get the new dock just because you can connect a freakin ethernet cable finally. Never had issues with the wifi since my dock is close to the modem but anything to make it faster will be good. Also can't wait for the N64 games to be released on NSO. Will definitely get a sub just for that. Not sure how well the Pro controller will work with the N64 games tho.

Vorph

OG Switch is just terrible at wifi speed. I have really good wifi when I test other devices, but the ethernet dongle I use now downloads stuff from eShop at least 2-3x faster than the undocked Switch does. The new dock will be at least that good, possibly better (though I suspect there's a hard limit and eShop will never be remotely as fast as MS Store/PSN, let alone something like Steam) if they actually sprang for a gigabit port.

Last edited:

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
First video showing side by side of the old Switch to the OLED Switch. It looks a lot better for sure.

These are gonna be awesome to scalp probably all the way into next summer. Looking forward to it. Glad they’re releasing right as we approach the holidays. Grab, hold, sell in a month or two.

• 1Slow
Reactions: 1 user

hory

I prefer my hacked switch with free games. Doubt these will ever be hackable.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I prefer my hacked switch with free games. Doubt these will ever be hackable.
They could find a new hack on the first versions of these too. Iirc there's some hacks for the "New 3DS" too even though it was released so many years after the original 3DS.

spronk

FPS noob
afaik there has been no software hack on anything other than the OG switch v1 (which still requires you to fuck with the RCM bootloader by paperclip), there is a chip hack for every switch model after but it requires you to open up the switch and solder in a chip and the team that did it got butt fucked by Nintendo and raided by the cops, etc. I don't think anyone even sells the chip right now.

it is possible there will be a software only jailbreak on the switch, it happened on the PS4 a few years ago (for firmware 7.50 or below I think) so you'd probably need a new in box switch thats basically never gone online. but who knows, probably would only happen when a new system is announced and switch firmware updates stop happening.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
How would you tell what Switch version you have? Is it printed on the back somewhere? I've played the Switch that my buddy gave me like 3 times, but I might try it more if I had a library of games to try.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Hey sweet I have a safe one :)

What do I do lol?

Last edited:

spronk

FPS noob
looks like the OLED switch is obsolete even before release

if you have one preordered gamestop is currently offering $220 trade credit for an existing switch

Vorph

Low serial number Switch is worth anywhere from $300-600 depending on the condition it's in and how patient you are with finding a buyer.

I think I'm just going to disassociate mine with my Nintendo acct and jailbreak it myself, maybe use it for a while, but mostly just wait and see how much more the value goes up as people realize that new ones are probably never going to be cracked.

I'm not particularly surprised that 4K dev hardware exists, but I think Bloomberg is batshit insane if they believe that it'll be out next year. Late 2023 seems more in line with Nintendo's glacial pace.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
Checked my first one and it is safe - thought I remembered ordering it at release. It’s in immaculate condition with a screen protector on it and I still have the original box. Trying to decide on it since I have the newer model with better battery life.