Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
That is what they'd say if they want the OLED to sell well.

Confirming a 4K Switch is on the way would kill OLED sales dead.

My local Gamestop told me that whoever doesn't claim their preordered OLED by 8 PM or so relinquishes the guarantee, because the remainder go out into regular stock, so if I call before they close and they have any unclaimed OLEDs, they'll sell me one. Tempted to cancel the UK preorder now and do this instead, because they sounded pretty sure that they'd probably have something for me.
What I read recently is they're working on a DLSS-like solution, and that's why they have the 4K dev kits, to make the games in 4K then be able to use their new tech to train AIs to render that shit better on standard Switches. Which does kinda make sense, seems better to just have games upscaled than to make a portable that can run games natively at 4K.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I think its nice if you have a lite or not one at all - its only worth it otherwise if you do it through gamestop then its fine since they give like $220 for trade in so its only costing $145 or so. However if youre not doing that then its a hard sell to pay full price when you already have one

Screen is bigger and better but thats where it ends.

Reselling is hardly worth it also since its like $375 and ebay fees are meh. However Xmas rush will raise these prices hence why i got it today and not wait for xmas to buy it for gf. Id expect as supply shrinks this will be over $600 by Mid Dec - so if you want one or want it for Xmas your best bet is to hit up GS in store via phone call to check stock - 4 of my 6 had them in stock.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
With everything in the supply chain that has gone down the shitter for the past year, I really really doubt Nintendo is looking into 4k versions of the switch..

OLED is probably gonna be it for awhile, if they ever decide to actually design a 4k switch, I'd be honestly surprised wouldn't be worth it really *shrug*

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Got the EU OLED on the way, we'll see if it works. I'm pretty sure the device will work with American outlets without issue since Japan has the same standardization, but I'm concerned about porting my account/games over, and whether or not the EShop will be in French or something.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Got the EU OLED on the way, we'll see if it works. I'm pretty sure the device will work with American outlets without issue since Japan has the same standardization, but I'm concerned about porting my account/games over, and whether or not the EShop will be in French or something.

From what I understand the switch is region free, it's the eshop that is region bound ..

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
From what I understand the switch is region free, it's the eshop that is region bound ..

If there's no way to change regions on the eshop, I'll just return it to Amazon. Probably eat a restocking fee though. Could still cancel the shipment if I find one here sooner.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
That's what I figure too, but I cancelled it in case. I'll find a local one whenever there are any, will save around $50 that way anyway.

spronk

FPS noob
ymmv on local market and shit but i see literally infinite white switch oleds on offerup being "asked" to sell at $425-450, without a single one sold. you could probably easily get it for $395-400, and unless you live in a tax free state thats essentially paying someone like $20 to be an uber driver.

most of those switch oleds will get returned this week since target/gamestop/best buy/walmart/etc aren't in their holiday return window yet so usually you only have 7 days to return something.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Bought a second Switch during the Animal Crossing frenzy so the wife and kids could play at the same time, and now they never hardly get used. Thinking of turning both in for the OLED + credit. I just don't play anything on it, and despite traveling for work nearly every week I haven't been interested in anything on it for that either. :(

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Bought a second Switch during the Animal Crossing frenzy so the wife and kids could play at the same time, and now they never hardly get used. Thinking of turning both in for the OLED + credit. I just don't play anything on it, and despite traveling for work nearly every week I haven't been interested in anything on it for that either. :(

If one of them is a first-run Switch (the hackable one), Ebay it instead of trading it in. It'll almost pay for the OLED by itself as I understand it.

spronk

FPS noob
some more rumors circulating around of a new switch 2 model releasing holiday 2022

only thing i'd say is a bit odd about the rumor is the DLSS thing, but I guess it is an nvidia tech thing and the switch uses nvidia chips

spronk

FPS noob
buncha switch announcements today including N64 + sega genesis on switch online, price bump from $35/yr to $80/yr for family plan (cheaper single person plan), n64 and genesis controllers, animal crossing DLC

spronk

FPS noob
big switch restock at target and gamestop today, I picked up a white oled switch $349.99 at my nearby gamestop. Transferring my old one now, a lot easier than years before but you have to run a seperate tool to transfer your animal crossing island or it gets wiped (lol).

Gonna go trade in my v2 switch for $260 in an hour or so, basically cost me $100 to upgrade. not bad. i honestly don't see any difference but I don't play handheld mode. It is nice having a white dock and joycons, but I keep split pad pros on the system and a pro controller for day to day.

Vorph

OLED difference is night and day to me. So much so that I've actually played Metroid Dread more in handheld mode than on my TV, even when I'm at home. The extra screen size is nice too, games that have text that's like trying to read the fine print on a bottle of pills are a bit less ridiculously small now.

Definitely check to make sure you didn't lose the panel lottery though. Some people are reporting that their OLEDs are super green tinted at low brightness, and that it's even noticeable turned way up too. Not seeing it on mine at all, fortunately.

Rude

Potato del Grande
OLED difference is night and day to me. So much so that I've actually played Metroid Dread more in handheld mode than on my TV, even when I'm at home. The extra screen size is nice too, games that have text that's like trying to read the fine print on a bottle of pills are a bit less ridiculously small now.

Definitely check to make sure you didn't lose the panel lottery though. Some people are reporting that their OLEDs are super green tinted at low brightness, and that it's even noticeable turned way up too. Not seeing it on mine at all, fortunately.
I lost out on the 2 seconds it was available and never pre-ordered. Read these things may not even be available until next year? Any idea if that's true or bullshit?

Vorph

I lost out on the 2 seconds it was available and never pre-ordered. Read these things may not even be available until next year? Any idea if that's true or bullshit?
I really don't think the demand is that high. You probably won't see them available online but I think there's a good chance of finding them in store like spronk was talking about earlier.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob

yeah if you have a gamestop near you just call and ask, they got a big restock last night and will get another one soon. It shouldn't be hard to get unless you live in a tech dense place like bay area or something. target also got a restock.

The resell is absolute shit on this, retards who bought a ton and trying to sell on offerup are getting 0 bites. it sells for ~$450-500 on ebay/offerup but after fees and free shipping and tax they are making like $30, so I doubt you'll see them pouncing on the restocks. Shouldn't really have a problem getting one if you can ask your gamestop what time they get shipments in and swing by every day after that.

if you don't want to deal with that shit just go on to facebook marketplace or offerup.com and buy one for $390-400, after tax its costing the reseller $370-380 ($349+tax) so its just a tiny fee and saves you a ton of time. buy in person, anyone who offers to ship it is scamming you.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
After tax it was $375 here, and the stock seems fine in OH - a couple gamestops never sold out - supply doesnt seem bad for them at all - thats also reflected by the lowish resell prices on ebay for them - if these were as limited as people initially thought theyd be around $600 on ebay etc. My local gamestop had some in when i was there earlier, and local target had some as well. Gamestop doesnt even limit how many you can buy in store which i personally find odd but whatever.