Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
How hard/expensive is it to replace a switch screen? A couple years ago my oldest raged and cracked his screen. His punishment has been to play on that cracked screen until he can afford a new one. He has saved up and wants an OLED, so I figure I will just take his old one over.

Everything I've seen it seems pretty painless sense the screen is on it's own half of the case... I think the ribbon cable for it is pretty fragile though..

spronk

FPS noob
How hard/expensive is it to replace a switch screen? A couple years ago my oldest raged and cracked his screen. His punishment has been to play on that cracked screen until he can afford a new one. He has saved up and wants an OLED, so I figure I will just take his old one over.

my understanding is gamestop does not accept cracked screens on switch trade ins but you can try. you have to take in the switch, dock, 2 joycons, joycon holder/grip, joycon straps, HDMI cable, and AC power cable.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
my understanding is gamestop does not accept cracked screens on switch trade ins but you can try. you have to take in the switch, dock, 2 joycons, joycon holder/grip, joycon straps, HDMI cable, and AC power cable.
Yeah, I figured that was the case. It is playable handheld though a little annoying due to the crack and while docked it is a non-issue. Like I said I was just looking to make it the mine/the family room switch.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I'm really liking the Switch OLED. Was well worth the $150 or however much it cost post-trade. I play portable more often than TV, and I got this just in time to see how amazing Ori looks on it.

It's cool to see another portable finally achieve the same visual quality that I had on a PS Vita back in 2013 or so. (not trolling)

Also, the white/black theme works really well and makes it match up with the PS5 when side-by-side:

20211017_195354.jpg

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
I caved and jail broke mine. It still sits collecting dust as even the enticing price of free can't get me off of PC gaming with Nintendos glacial pace of first party title releases and lack of indie games that aren't >$10 on steam or on gamepass already.

Hurry up with new Zelda, new Odyssey, new Mario Kart. (I will buy these if they ever come out before 2082.)

Also god damn clean your cables up Rajaah =D

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Do the newer switched charge faster then the OG ones? Mine take like 8 hours to charge from zero to full.

• 1WTF
Reactions: 1 user

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, it's a glass screen now, but since Nintendo is too cheap to use Gorilla Glass (even though Amazon can somehow do it on tablets they sell for as low as $50) they had to put a coating on top of the cheap glass to prevent it from completely shattering if it breaks and that coating scratches just as easily as the old plastic screen.

I used those same protectors. Took two tries but the second one came out perfect.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
oof tough to watch but this guy trashes his OLED switch with exacto knife and fire to see how durable it is. definitely, definitely get a tempered glass screen protector for your switch, it scratches easily even with a coin

This is the one I used, 3 pack for $10 and simple to attach
www.amazon.com/amFilm-Tempered-Protector-Compatible-Nintendo/dp/B09B1L53CB

Does it affect the picture in any way?

I know I should get it regardless, but I've been using a Switch portably for 4 and a half years and it never got so much as a scratch on it. So even if the OLED is more vulnerable to damage, I can rely on myself to not carelessly scuff it up. However if this has little to no effect on the picture, there's zero reason not to.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
As long as you can put it on without hair or dust getting underneath, it's completely invisible.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Does it affect the picture in any way?

I know I should get it regardless, but I've been using a Switch portably for 4 and a half years and it never got so much as a scratch on it. So even if the OLED is more vulnerable to damage, I can rely on myself to not carelessly scuff it up. However if this has little to no effect on the picture, there's zero reason not to.
Had them on both our switches. You can’t tell it’s on them at all, the fit is perfect.

spronk

FPS noob
i notice no difference in picture quality with my screen protector either.

you need one because just putting the switch in/out of the dock can scratch the screen. The oled dock is slightly better designed to avoid this (some people have tested), but the OG switch easily scratches your screen over dozens of redocks, since its nearly impossible to put it down every time without having the edges touch.

and yeah the new switch online "xpac" pricing tier is stupid shitty, i looked at it online and it'd take my 2 year existing NSO sub, cut it down to 12 months, and I still need to pay like $25 to upgrade to the new tier. and go from 2 years NSO to 1 year. and pay another $80 in 1 year when my sub expires. sucks balls, but since i have 2-3 family members who play animal crossing its still cheaper doing this (ignoring all the n64/genesis games) than paying $50-100 to buy animal crossing xpansion DLCs.

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
Switch verison of OOT removed the reflections on the water for the the Dark Link fight in the Water Temple. They were really lazy with the N64 emulation yet charge a premium subscription for it.

• 3Worf
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 3 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
No one should buy that over priced sub - Rasp Pi all the way with anything we ever want. And Dolphin does it better anyway.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

spronk

FPS noob
feel free to repost in smt thread i have no idea where it is

wonder how it'll run on pc emulator