Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Switch review - picked it up this morning, played about 3 hours of Zelda today.

Console history: most of the big releases since the 8 bit era, not a fanboi but I'd say the SNES was probably my favorite console all time. I've stayed away from most of the portables but had an old Gameboy as a kid.

Preferred gaming devices: PC Master Race forever. PS4 or Steam Link for couch play.

Graphics: better than WiiU, not as good as PS4, nowhere near PC (duh). Experience is improved on small screen when playing portable for obvious reasons.

Sound: Nintendo quality.

Quality: Screen looks nice, lightweight, would like it to be a little "heftier" but that would defeat some of the portability I'm sure. This might sound funny but the plastic feels good, it's "soft" and feels comfortable in the hand. Kickstand WILL break. I can't believe they didn't use a nice hinge and/or an aluminum kickstand. That shit is flimsy. Same for the Card slot door.

Controls: Small. I played about 1.5h on the TV using the Joy Con w/grip, and about an 1.5h on the tablet with Joy Cons attached. I prefer the Joy Con w/grip, I might pick up the Pro. I could see myself preferring that as the Joy Cons are small, my kids will do just fine with them, but I could see my hands cramping over time. Overall though, the controls were responsive, I like the feel of the buttons but they are tiny, and in fairness I didn't have any hand/wrist pain or numbness while playing.

Kids: Kids will love this. Great for the car.

Here's the thing; this is a portable console that you can play on your TV when you feel like it. I plan on playing this thing in bed, on the toilet, maybe in the bath (seriously) and when I go to work. I could easily see myself propping it up on my desk with the kickstand or one of the 3rd party cases and using the Joy Con w/grip between patients. I look forward to being able to take a game break at work and play a AAA title with great graphics/controls/gameplay. Previous handhelds have had zero interest to me due to screen size and hand cramps. This could be the fix for that.

Zelda: It's awesome. I feel like it's a really compelling game and if you have more money than sense, I don't think you'll be disappointed with the purchase. If you want a portable high quality gaming unit with actual games and not bullshit iPad tablet shit, you will not be disappointed with this purchase. If you have kids, you will not be disappointed with this purchase. If you want a PS4/5 quality Nintendo experience, you will be disappointed. If you absolutely need to play this Zelda (and I wouldn't blame you, it's great) I would recommend picking up a cheap WiiU if you can and play that version. If you're used to PS4/Pro/PC, the graphical difference between Switch and WiiU really shouldn't matter because honestly, the graphics are not great. Really good. But not great.

Hope that helps those on the fence.

Damn good review. I kind of want one now asshole.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

KCXIV

Molten Core Raider
That's good news. How far away are you from the switch dock?
about 7 feet maybe? i also played about an hour on my desk since my tv is right next to it.

I'm on a break right now, but after i get some eats, ill play some more and see how it is.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Fucking Best Buy
Had two separate orders, one with a joycon bundle and a charge grip, the other with a pro controller and ac adapter.

Got the first order with joycons and grip twice

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Got the first order with joycons and grip twice
You mean you got ONE order and the other hasn't showed up. That is how you need to tell it to Best Buy.

When they ship your second order properly I will buy your phantom box you got on your doorstep for cheap.

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
Went to a Bestbuy in a rural town after work and was able to snag one for the kids and one for a coworker about an hour ago. They were out of almost every accessory though and surprisingly out of Bomberman, Just Dance and if it came out today the skylanders game. The craziest thing to me is they sold out of a freaking $60 Nintendo brand 64gig micro sd card. You can get a 200gig 85/85 PNY for around that on Amazon. I'm guessing the venn diagram for people who bought the official Nintendo SD card and monster cables is one big circle.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I'm not going to write a full review just yet but I want to say i'm pleasantly surprised....

... how much fun 1 2 Switch actually can be.

Before we got deep into BotW tonight, we invited a bunch of family and friends over and had an absolute blast. Definitely more about the people than the game but I had pretty much 0 expectations and bought it simply for me, my wife, and 2 kids to kick around but I honestly had fun.

Currently enjoying BotW. Going back to it shortly.

Also, Just Dance 2017 is a disappointment compared to XBONE. No camera and no singing takes away some nice features that make a get together fun. I was really disappointed how it turned out. Not that i'm much of a fan to begin with but it's something we typically do when people come over.

Still enjoying the system, the portability, and just the overall ease of use.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
Its pretty hilarious the number for sale on the local classifieds, they were down to $30 over retail ha. Retailers should really put a restocking fee on new devices and put the screws to speculators.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Er4BJvc.jpg

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
Went to a Bestbuy in a rural town after work and was able to snag one for the kids and one for a coworker about an hour ago. They were out of almost every accessory though and surprisingly out of Bomberman, Just Dance and if it came out today the skylanders game. The craziest thing to me is they sold out of a freaking $60 Nintendo brand 64gig micro sd card. You can get a 200gig 85/85 PNY for around that on Amazon. I'm guessing the venn diagram for people who bought the official Nintendo SD card and monster cables is one big circle.
I didn't even know there was a Nintendo brand MSD card lol.

Went into my normal best buy today to pick up Dr.Strange, apparently they sold through the rest of their stock when they opened (they had like 30 left over from midnight release). They also still had a fair number of accessories and a lot of games, but apparently one lady has returned a switch already.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Ugh that pisses me off. I hate it when charging port locations are in the least useful spot.

But but, then they'd have to make the dock not a cheap shitty piece of plastic that scratches the screen or add a second usb-c port somewhere else on it!!!

In reality though, Amazon.com: CableCreation Angled Type C (USB-C) to Standard USB 2.0 A Male Cable, USB 3.1 USB-C for Apple The Macbook, Chromebook Pixel and More, 6ft/1.8M Black [New Version 56K Ohm Resistance]: Home Audio & Theater

Won't help with table play I guess but will be less obnoxious playing mobile.

Last edited:

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I want to buy a screen protector but all of them have shit reviews when you get past the shill ones. The Hori one comes off when charging. JFC.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I want to buy a screen protector but all of them have shit reviews when you get past the shill ones. The Hori one comes off when charging. JFC.

I mean the system is clearly immature, even Nintendo didn't bother testing it properly. There's no way a non-rushed launch would have included a dock that can scratch the screen, that garbage kickstand, joy-con sync/signal issues, only a lower charging port, etc.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
And..... Now people are experiencing more slow downs as a result of being docked.

Between that and the Joycon desync issues, I hope everyone is like E etchazz and only plays in Bed or on a bus.

I've played it in the dock, and have had no issues whatsoever with the joy cons (left or right). The only slow downs I've experienced are a few times with the weather like rain and lightning. Most people who are complaining about this shit are whiny faggots, and people who don't even own a Switch so they don't even know what the fuck they're talking about.

• 4Salty
Reactions: 3 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So you're anecdotal experience is better than other people's anecdotal experience gotcha.

The real question is, when Nintendo releases the Switch U, will anyone realize it?

• 1Like

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
So you're anecdotal experience is better than other people's anecdotal experience gotcha.

The real question is, when Nintendo releases the Switch U, will anyone realize it?

But your PS4 is so fucking awesome that you spend all your time here bashing Nintendo? Get a fucking life.

• 1Smuggly

Palum

what Suineg set it to
But your PS4 is so fucking awesome that you spend all your time here bashing Nintendo? Get a fucking life.

No, my PS4 is in the closet and you present no arguments to defend the poor choices by Nintendo. They deserve bashing because people continuously give them a pass, the world is full of groupies with fond memories and strong nostalgia of when they were the king of home entertainment consoles. Today, Nintendo is run by retards and they survive by milking good IPs and sometimes get lucky that their wacky hardware shit works. They earn all the ridicule they get.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users