Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
Does anyone else hate the joycons as much as I do? Way too small and the button placement, especially on the left joycon, is uncomfortable. In Zelda, trying to swap weapons forces me to adjust my grip to reach the button and then adjust back to comfortably use the stick again. I didn't have any desync problems though and I expected to (tons of other wireless stuff nearby in the living room and I was sitting about 8 feet from the console and tv screen.

I guess I'll eventually need to buy the pro controller, but I do not want to spend an extra $70+.

I hate the joycons on the curved paddle thing but they felt great attached to the switch playing Shovel Knight's intro level. They feel great attached on Zelda until you have to move the camera. Someone mentioned it back near the beginning of the thread but I have to repeat it, putting the right thumbstick directly under the buttons was a terrible idea. The joycons as individual controllers seem to be perfect for my kid's hands though (girls, both under 10). They love the snipperclip eshop game and it will be nice to have the system for a flight we have to take in a couple months right after Mario Kart comes out. Hopefully by then there will be a kindle kids style case for travel by then because they are just total spazes holding onto rectangular objects.

Talenvor

Lord Nagafen Raider
I hate the joycons on the curved paddle thing but they felt great attached to the switch playing Shovel Knight's intro level. They feel great attached on Zelda until you have to move the camera. Someone mentioned it back near the beginning of the thread but I have to repeat it, putting the right thumbstick directly under the buttons was a terrible idea. The joycons as individual controllers seem to be perfect for my kid's hands though (girls, both under 10). They love the snipperclip eshop game and it will be nice to have the system for a flight we have to take in a couple months right after Mario Kart comes out. Hopefully by then there will be a kindle kids style case for travel by then because they are just total spazes holding onto rectangular objects.
I should have mentioned it, but I was playing Zelda docked with one joycon in each hand (no grip). I felt like it gave my hands the most room to maneuver but still wasn't natural feeling at all especially the left joycon button placement.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
I'm gonna write up a review later tonight. I really like the system, but there are some negatives and I'll probably go over those.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I think I will eventually pick up a couple around holiday season with some sort of bundle. The tv issues and desync problem won't be an issue since It will just be used in the car or in Bed. Want some of the bugs worked out and more games for it to be worth picking up. Synj's review really nailed it for me on how to think of this device and how it's best used. Hoping people figure out a way to cast it to a big screen wireless without the shitty dock.

spronk

FPS noob
tagged along with the wife today shopping and both of the targets we visited had 2-4 switches inside the locked display cases available for sale, and at the second one the guy said they had another 20 in back that they will put out for sale tomorrow. I think its just in the big tech cities (SF, NY, LA, Austin, etc) that its completely sold out, you might have decent luck driving an hour or two and visiting targets. Its completely available in other countries like Australia, new zealand, mexico, etc so may be some under shipment to the bigger US cities.

also some fuckery going on with eshop stuff, if you go to Nintendo Account and click shop menu you can merge your NNID funds with your nintendo account, but if you click on purchase history it tells you to go to the actual console to see what you bought. The exact same online site used to show your full digital purchase history for 3ds/wii u two days ago, but now no longer does.

Last edited:

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
For a second, I felt like I needed to justify my purchase to a bunch of neckbeards on a forum dedicated to killing dragons in a mostly defunct MMO.

Then I remembered, I'm an adult and I really don't give a fuck.

I enjoy it for what it is and my kids will LOVE it. I spent 3x as much to go to Disney. Now that's stupid.

Also: you and Utnayan Utnayan 's critiques are entirely fair, and I'm cool with redpilling fanbois and calling out bullshit, which some of this clearly is Nintendo bullshit. But you need to put the "I'm an adult" shit on hold. That's about the fastest way to get shut down and is pretty much the antithesis of being an adult.

Reel bass.jpg

Thought it was obvious from the hyperbolic language in every sentence that it was just a Saturday night gag. If not that, then a picture of actual diapers should have set the alarm.

we got us a big ol' bass or two or three.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Wantonsoup95

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've learnt my lesson on the ds and 3ds about buying initial models of nintendo products. Never again, I'll wait for the XL version and a bigger library, assuming it lasts that long.

• 1Like

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
3 hour battery life in reality is more like an hour to an hour and a half.

I just don't see how this system helps Nintendo right now at all.
That's 100% bullshit btw. I get over 3 hours on a full charge playing Zelda so i have no idea what you could do to get that low

• 1Like

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Yeah. My opinion on that is leaning more towards poor design being that the support page tells people to keep joycons away from aquariums. :) but in all seriousness it could be just idiots. Time will tell.
That's just Bluetooth and common sense really. Not saying they don't have some problems (I haven't seen any sitting 12-15 feet away), but wireless through water definitely is going to h e problems

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
That's just Bluetooth and common sense really. Not saying they don't have some problems (I haven't seen any sitting 12-15 feet away), but wireless through water definitely is going to h e problems
When are you selling me your third extra switch?

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
So playing on the TV the only parts where the frame rate drops were really more than just a quarter second thing every once in awhile is when zoomed in with the Sheika slate running through grass. That's not just bad, it's really bad and sustained

• 1Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I need to try this on my Wii U and see if the same thing happens. I didn't notice it yesterday when I played up to the point I needed to to look through it to mark the three ruins.

Trying to finish horizon first though.

Talenvor

Lord Nagafen Raider
With all the frame rate talk I was worried Zelda would run like crap with the switch docked, but I honestly haven't even noticed it in about 3 hours of playtime so far.

• 1Like
  • 1Smuggly
Reactions: 1 users

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
So watched a stream of 1-2 switch....not sure how the fuck people would pay $50 for it. Sounds like its going to get 1-2 refunded till it drops to like $15-20

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
btw target is holding back stock for its ad sale tomorrow, so if you really want to get a switch go in store tomorrow morning before open at target and you will definitely get one. a couple people have said they are holding 40+ free units at each target for sale tomorrow. They are also getting ANOTHER shipment of switches on monday. Dunno why nintendo is treating target so nicely with these things.

Must be regional, my local target is completely sold out. Said they were getting more on the 8th.

I wasn't a buyer but I asked the dude when grabbing some other shit.

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
Ultra Street Fighter 2 is going to be $39.99 when it comes out on switch. I really don't get what is going on with the Japanese game companies from the 80s. Capcom, Konami and Nintendo really don't seem to know what the hell they are doing at all anymore and completely out of touch with reality.

• 1Like