Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
I'm surprisngly excited for Mario Tennis seeing as it has a story mode. I haven't played a story mode on a sports game since Mario Golf on the GBA years ago.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I've been craving a platformer ever since Ori and the Blind Forest so Fe and Celeste caught my attention. Owned Dark Souls since it came out and still haven't played it so might pick that up too after the tech guys go through it and give their review. Never heard of Ys VIII before.

Then you have missed out on some sweet platformers. Grab axiom verge.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Yay another port/remake on switch. I want to buy one of these things but I still can't justify it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Therage

Vyemm Raider
After watching the YouTube of the switch mini direct. Dark souls is gonna be good times. If they use ds3 engine even better. Im on like ng+20 on ds3 on pc.

Lots of nice stuff. Twewy I loved that game on ds., super pumped for that. Dkc and dk for rabbis looks good too. Hyrule warriors was alright but I'm not a huge dynasty warrior fan so meh.

New Kirby looks fun too. Especially in multi-layer.

Mario tennis looks interesting as does ys, but I've never played a ys game. Fe looked like an interesting concept not 100% sold on it. Celeste looks pretty awesome though.

Looks like I'll be picking up a few games this year for it. For those on the fence I play mine in handheld mode 80% of the time when watching stuff on TV. The few major exceptions are for Mario and Zelda when I want the pro controller. Or when the woman isn't watching TV. Worth it imo.

UT keeps saying this system was doa, etc and he bought one. So might want to take his opinion with a grain of salt.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I got super excited to see Donkey Kong was coming, then super sad when I saw it's just DK:TF. It's an absolutely fantastic platformer, and possibly my 2nd favorite DKC game ever, but I already played it on the Wii U.

• 1Like

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'm definitely going to double dip and get the PC version and Switch versions. One day I hope for a Demon's Souls remaster, but that will be PS4 only since Sony owns the rights I guess. The game is just as awesome as the others.

• 1Solidarity

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Ok yeah so dark souls on ps pro or Xbox one x will be 4k60. Switch, 1080p30 docked, 720p30 portable. Regular PS4 and Xbox one will be 1080p60. If you own another system and hardly ever play portable or don’t care too, do your self a favor if you have never played it and experience it on a system worth a shit.

Then, let’s hope they aren’t idiots and fix weapon degradation at 60 frames before they launch it. Otherwise all versions will be a fucking mess.

For me it depends on what kind of remaster it is. If they are using the DS III engine, then yeah, I'll go with PS4. But if it's more like what they did with Dark Souls 2, I'd just go for the switch. While I always have it docked, there is just something about the aesthetics of the thing I just like more right now. Maybe it's because it's new, I don't know, but I just prefer it's interface and the feel of the controller (and the fact it has an actual battery life of more than hours). I'm one of those plebs who really doesn't get into the FPS thing. Yeah I notice a difference but playing a game at 30 has never bothered me that much.

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
UT keeps saying this system was doa, etc and he bought one. So might want to take his opinion with a grain of salt.

The system, in my mind, is a gigantic piece of shit that I bought for one game. Now that I have it, it confirmed everything I already knew. Portable is hard to use for anyone other than a midget, docked is sub par compared to everything else I have, online is garbage, relic friend system, and zero cloud save ability with limited save back ups - and the only good thing is a pro controller that lasts 40 hours. My opinion hasn't changed, and once I finish X2, it will be donated. You like it in portable mode though, so I am not going to argue it isn't good for you. If I had small hands and wanted to play these games on the go constantly, obviously it would be a great choice. I don't however. I play games on a 4k OLED with movie theater sound.

Using the DS3 engine has relevance to jack shit, save one thing, because they aren't using DS3 art assets. That one thing is a very good thing though and that's the fixed 60 fps and weapon durability bugs that plagued the 1st 2 games. That doesn't do anything for Switch or any other of the platform versions other than that very crucial bug fix. To catch you up to speed on that, weapon durability was tied to frame rate on the older engine and they couldn't figure out how to patch it (They finally got around to minimizing it in a patch in DS2 but it was a data fix to a weapon break variable). The new engine here is crucial with Dark Souls 1 when this is running at 1080p60 or 4k60.

But that is the only benefit to using the newer engine revision. Also, if you have never played a souls game before, I suggest doing so in docked mode first so when you throw the controller against the wall it isn't your switch itself :)

Last edited:
  • 2Salty
Reactions: 1 users

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I got super excited to see Donkey Kong was coming, then super sad when I saw it's just DK:TF. It's an absolutely fantastic platformer, and possibly my 2nd favorite DKC game ever, but I already played it on the Wii U.

This is my issue with the system. It has good games it is just I've already played most of them already.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
The system, in my mind, is a gigantic piece of shit that I bought for one game. Now that I have it, it confirmed everything I already knew. Portable is hard to use for anyone other than a midget, docked is sub par compared to everything else I have, online is garbage, relic friend system, and zero cloud save ability with limited save back ups - and the only good thing is a pro controller that lasts 40 hours. My opinion hasn't changed, and once I finish X2, it will be donated. You like it in portable mode though, so I am not going to argue it isn't good for you. If I had small hands and wanted to play these games on the go constantly, obviously it would be a great choice. I don't however. I play games on a 4k OLED with movie theater sound.

Using the DS3 engine has relevance to jack shit, save one thing, because they aren't using DS3 art assets. That one thing is a very good thing though and that's the fixed 60 fps and weapon durability bugs that plagued the 1st 2 games. That doesn't do anything for Switch or any other of the platform versions other than that very crucial bug fix. To catch you up to speed on that, weapon durability was tied to frame rate on the older engine and they couldn't figure out how to patch it (They finally got around to minimizing it in a patch in DS2 but it was a data fix to a weapon break variable). The new engine here is crucial with Dark Souls 1 when this is running at 1080p60 or 4k60.

But that is the only benefit to using the newer engine revision. Also, if you have never played a souls game before, I suggest doing so in docked mode first so when you throw the controller against the wall it isn't your switch itself :)

Tree fitty

• 1Worf

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
I don't know why this thread is about whether some faggot likes the Switch or not.

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Skinner

Trakanon Raider

I feel some of the above is overblown. I have large hands and the portable controls are really not as bad as many make them out to be, but there is definitely an adjustment period and I have found that some games make it worse than others by how they map their controls. Online has been flawless for me so far but their UI could use some work and supposedly they are working on things like apps for people. I definitely agree with the relic friend system and zero cloud save ability - I have no idea how either were justified.

The biggest complaint I have with the Switch - and this is something everyone seems to overlook and I find it by far the most concerning and deserving of the most criticism - is just how fragile the actual system seems to be. Over time, the rails that hold and lock in the joycons can loosen and, if you tend to place upwards pressure on the joycons while playing in handheld, the locking mechanism can eventually sheer off. As for the wobble, Nintendo claims its intentional to prevent damage and breakage but my right joycons wobble is getting uncomfortably worse and is noticeably different than my left. The solution people have come up with online is to put tape between the Switch and the Joycon which, for a $350 dollar system that isn't even a year old, is unacceptable to me.

Whats worse, my Switch is starting to crack. People have posted the reports near the beginning of this thread of Switch units cracking along the vents and top screws and I counted myself lucky to not be impacted. Not anymore. Last week I noticed a hairline crack from the center top vent on the left side that goes to the backplate and I have a pinhead size flake chip on the far left screw at the top/backplate area. Both cracks/chips match the reports exactly and the only thing I've done recently with my switch is the marathon session I put on it when Xenoblade Chronicles 2 came out. I have a protective case, I keep it away from the kids, never dropped, and I've babied the absolute shit out of it.

I'm pretty bummed that I'll have to send it in to get fixed (I'm not paying 60 dollars to do the repair myself on principle) and my save data is most likely all going to get completely wiped out which is depressing. With that said, I still really enjoy the system. It's by far from perfect but I'm glad I purchased one.

Therage

Vyemm Raider
I don't have small hands by any stretch of the imagination. Is portable the most comfortable thing ever? Not always. Better than my vita and 3ds xl.

I have a nice big 4k TV and dolby atmos setup as well. Doesn't bother me that is not the most powerful thing ever. I have a gaming rig and the other consoles for the games I want a huge experience like that. But we've had this conversation before. Doesn't matter really. You do you bro. I bought it for Zelda and am glad that it is getting more games.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I'm 6' 5" and this is the most comfortable handheld gaming device I've ever used.

How are your holding it? I not only have my pinkies hanging off but also my ring fingers trying to hold it in position.

Siliconemelons

It is the best "portable" of late, but I still could do with bigger side controller things- and the stock gamepad holder it comes with is horrific - it's regulated to the kids.

The pro pad, other than being fucking $$$$$ is very nice- Nintendo does always make a nice controller.

I just hate A as confirm while everyone else with a brain uses B- or the button in that spot.

Therage

Vyemm Raider
How are your holding it? I not only have my pinkies hanging off but also my ring fingers trying to hold it in position.

I usually hold mine with only one finger one each hand above the triggers and with middle fingers under the triggers and pinky supporting from underneath.