Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
If you're talking just eShop, then yeah. There's occasionally some flukes, like Link's Awakening being $40 right now, and you can find sales on stuff like the Xenoblade and Fire Emblem series from time to time, but for the most part they stick to MSRP for their major IPs. I can't remember having ever seen a sale on any Nintendo DLC either... about to finally just give up and buy the FE3H Expansion Pass at full price because a sale is never going to happen. Only way you're getting a discount on that sort of thing is by finding eShop gift cards on sale.

Other stores can sell digital codes though, and they'll have deals on stuff Nintendo never really discounts (like Mario stuff, BotW, etc.).

Digital is pointless for the Switch anyway though. Carts are superior in every way besides the minor annoyance of having to carry and swap them if you play more than one game at a time. They load faster than a SD card and you don't have to worry about running out of space, they go on sale much more often, you can trade them in if you want, Nintendo's network downloads ungodly slow over wireless and it's still not great even if you get so fed up with it that you buy a USB ethernet adapter for the damn thing.
I didn't realize that was the case at all, historically its been my experience (sans switch since I only own two games) that physical was worse than eShop game speeds. Definitely can attest to that download speed though, took like 16 hours to dl/install Paper Mario and it was a big pile of bullshit.

I was hoping to get a deal on BotW, given its 3 or 4? years old, but guess I'll aim for a cartridge on a marketplace somewhere. Went into it thinking games like The Witcher have been discounted to hell and back and are GotY scale and yet mario/zelda is basically MSRP for life? Fuckers

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I didn't realize that was the case at all, historically its been my experience (sans switch since I only own two games) that physical was worse than eShop game speeds. Definitely can attest to that download speed though, took like 16 hours to dl/install Paper Mario and it was a big pile of bullshit.
Switch internal memory is consistently the fastest. Game Card vs. SD comes down to the brand and size you use. Depending on quality of the SD's flash RAM it ranges from very slightly faster to considerably slower. Bigger SD cards tend to be faster.

If you really want digital, BotW is $45 from Walmart for a code. Not quite the lowest it's ever been ($40) but it's the same price as the current physical sales. Best deal would've been finding it at a Gamestop during the pre-owned BOGO a couple days ago, but that ship's sailed.

Even third party stuff like Witcher 3 doesn't get discounted like on PC or other consoles. I bought it (phys) for $42 a long time ago and even now the the sales are Best Buy at $40 (new all-time low) and eShop for $42.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
We recently got a second one and Nintendo doesn't make it easy. The primary system can play any of the eshop games on any profile regardless of internet connection. The secondary system can only play eshop titles if connected to the internet and can only play on the profile that is linked to the payment. Additionally if the primary starts playing a game it boots the secondary out. What we have done is made my main profile the general anyone plays account since most games they play have multiple save slots and disconnected the primary system from the network outside of updates to allow primary and secondary to play at the same time.
Man, Nintendo can fuck right off for making digital purchases inferior to buying physical copies.
The ability to play across multiple switches is shit. I bought several Lego games on steep discount and to play on them the kids have to use my profile on their new switch lites. Also realizing that I have to get a separate copy of Pokemon Sw/Sh for each fucking kid because there's one saveslot per account.

Leviothan

Trakanon Raider
Hasn't Pokemon always been one save slot and it was on the game copy itself? This one lets you do a save per account which wasn't possible before.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Hasn't Pokemon always been one save slot and it was on the game copy itself? This one lets you do a save per account which wasn't possible before.
No idea, this is the first one I've really played. I think I'll end up getting a shield physical copy (and buying DLC for it) so the kids can each work there. Sucks that they'll end up starting over, but w/ Pokemon Home I can move over their pokemon.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Man, Nintendo can fuck right off for making digital purchases inferior to buying physical copies.
The ability to play across multiple switches is shit. I bought several Lego games on steep discount and to play on them the kids have to use my profile on their new switch lites. Also realizing that I have to get a separate copy of Pokemon Sw/Sh for each fucking kid because there's one saveslot per account.
What Lev said. If they all have accounts linked to a family account, with yours, they can each have their own save on a single copy of pokemon

Now ACNH is some bullshit with each console locked to a singular island in game

• 1Like

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
What Lev said. If they all have accounts linked to a family account, with yours, they can each have their own save on a single copy of pokemon

Now ACNH is some bullshit with each console locked to a singular island in game
Not on different consoles since I bought the Nintendo Store version instead of the physical copy, which is the root of my issue. I have to either chance the primary console to their switch lite or they have to play under my profile. Anytime they try to play a game on their handheld, they get an activation error.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Nintendo has a hard-on for single saves to prevent save scumming (yet if you pay for their cloud backup services you still can). If that limitation didn't exist it would solve or at least assist with all of the other account, network, activation, digital vs physical problems.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
No idea, this is the first one I've really played. I think I'll end up getting a shield physical copy (and buying DLC for it) so the kids can each work there. Sucks that they'll end up starting over, but w/ Pokemon Home I can move over their pokemon.
Every Pokemon game has been single save slot since Red/Blue on the Gameboy.

• 1Potato

Crone

Just learned this weekend that Nintendo does have automatic Cloud saves for the Switch? Not just save transfers to a new device, but cloud data backup. My profile wasn't on the Switch we are using to do the Ring Fit, so I just transferred it over to that Switch, and all was well again.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Just learned this weekend that Nintendo does have automatic Cloud saves for the Switch? Not just save transfers to a new device, but cloud data backup. My profile wasn't on the Switch we are using to do the Ring Fit, so I just transferred it over to that Switch, and all was well again.

Yeah if you sub to the Switch Online thing you get cloud saves.

Crone

Yeah if you sub to the Switch Online thing you get cloud saves.
Yea. I guess what sucks is that it’s a profile by profile basis. So all my kids don’t have it but I do. Suppose that’s no different than other consoles though.

spronk

FPS noob
yeah 100% switch your nintendo online plan to family, its only $5/year more than regular and you can have up to like 8 accounts on it then. everyone gets access to all the nintendo online games too, like super mario 35 online or whatever its called

• 1Like

Crone

yeah 100% switch your nintendo online plan to family, its only $5/year more than regular and you can have up to like 8 accounts on it then. everyone gets access to all the nintendo online games too, like super mario 35 online or whatever its called
I'm on a family plan with some buddies, and then my wife is on one with her sister. If all my kids accounts got linked to the account with the wife, what does that give them? They can then have cloud saves, so that's cool, but online game sharing from the wife's account? or my account? how does that work.

spronk

FPS noob
nintendo online doesn't provide any extra online game sharing, thats tied to the console and home console. You can designate one console as a home console which doesn't require online authentication to play games, and another switch ("not home") can play the same digital games but require login every time, and it kicks off anyone on the home console playing. Its a terrible system of digital game sharing and really only worth trying if you have one person who rarely plays and another person who plays more often. Xbox and PSN are way, way better about digital game sharing between 2 consoles.

Nintendo online family sharing just gives each account cloud saves and access to the entire Nintendo Switch Online library, which has Mario 35, Tetris Online, and the NES and SNES library like Super Mario Kart, Super Mario World, etc. Its basically nintendos version of PS+. as far as I know there is nothing special about being in the same family plan, you don't get to share shit and you can't talk to each other or anything. You get to play all of these for "free"

1609370381947.png

Vorph

Nice timing with MH Rise out soon too. Too bad deluxe edition dlc is useless crap, guess I'll just have $10 left over.

Crone

So I know it's been talked about here a few times, and basically, Nintendo has a shitty profile system and trying to share digital games between multiple Switch in the same household is a nightmare. But how do you even just play a game on the same switch, under different profiles? Is that even allowed? This came up because I'm trying to play some coop games with my son. But if I go and play say Nine Parchments (4 player coop), it doesn't allow multiple profiles to "log-in" so any progress made by not the main user is lost?