No better shows have ever existed than Seinfeld or X-files.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Stupid people don't like Seinfeld because they're stupid and they can't understand it. They like humor where it's all "FUCK FUCK CUNT BITCH Wakandan PLEEZ".

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
Confirmed terrible human being.

Jokes aside, I reallydojudge people on whether or not they like Seinfeld.
This is how I find friends. If I make a jerkstore reference and someone giggles, I know they're for me.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Seinfeld's it's just a little different brand of humor than a lot of people are used to, I can see done people have trouble getting into it.

But saying The Wire is better than X-Files because X-files had too many "filler" episodes is really missing the point of the X-Files. The stand alone episodes were the best part. It's not lie the Wire where each season was a story that was just separated into hour long blocks. The monster of the week episodes were the best part. I liked the show the best early on before they focused as much on season/multi-season story arcs.

I have yet to even watch the Wire and can't claim if its better or not, just that the reasoning was flawed.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Seinfeld's it's just a little different brand of humor than a lot of people are used to, I can see done people have trouble getting into it.

But saying The Wire is better than X-Files because X-files had too many "filler" episodes is really missing the point of the X-Files. The stand alone episodes were the best part. It's not lie the Wire where each season was a story that was just separated into hour long blocks. The monster of the week episodes were the best part. I liked the show the best early on before they focused as much on season/multi-season story arcs.

I have yet to even watch the Wire and can't claim if its better or not, just that the reasoning was flawed.
It's not really about flawed reasoning, some filler (Tooms, Bad Blood, Fire, etc) are really good but most of the time the stand alones were, in my opinion, bland and boring. Also I've never said The Wire is better than X-Files because of fillers, I've said it's hazardous comparing them because they're different tv shows with different writing structure and production.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Seinfeld was a total deconstruction of the American sitcom of 50 years prior. The typical A/B story line layout was completely annihilated in favor of the A/B/C/D.

You would watch the first 8 minutes before the commercial break and be introduced to 4 separate scenarios confronting the 4 main cast members and they were so different most of the time that you had no idea how they would fit. That was part of Seinfeld's brilliance - is that in 22 minutes it would inevitably bring these 4 disparate story lines crashing together in the most hilarious way possible. Every time it seemed impossible and every time they pulled it off in the most unexpected way. Combined with a total lack of morality on behalf of all characters, the inability to learn anything from their mistakes and their never ending self-analysis that we all indulge in on a daily basis - it was a perfect reflection of the self-absorbed preening America of the 1990s and beyond.

On top of that, the jokes were great and Seinfeld remains one of the most quotable sitcoms to this day, 15 years later.

Musab

Molten Core Raider
Word? Gonna have to BT that bitch and give it a binge watch one of these weekends. How close is the season to done?
Four more episodes left, it's a really great show.
rrr_img_41134.jpg

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Word? Gonna have to BT that bitch and give it a binge watch one of these weekends. How close is the season to done?
I think there are 3 or 4 episodes left, so done by next month. And yeah, it's great. I think if you like Justified, you should like this (Main character has the same feel). I really enjoy it. Plus it's great watching Irish mafia intimidate California movie stars.

Fury

Silver Knight of the Realm
On top of that, the jokes were great and Seinfeld remains one of the most quotable sitcoms to this day, 15 years later.
While I agree Seinfeld was a good sitcom, I'm going to date myself and say that M*A*S*H and Home Improvment were better than Seinfeld.

M*A*S*H alone might qualify as the best TV show ever given how many awards it was nomintated for and recieved, as well as it's ratings, and how much money it generatated for the studio and network/syndication.

I'd argue Star Trek might also be considered one of the best simply because of how many spinoffs it had, the movies it spawned, the merchandicing, how much it influenced society. We still see it's influence in TV shows today (see The Big Bang Theory).

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i think syndication plays a big part on what people consider their favorite show. the local channel by me and TBS play seinfeld episodes several times a day every day. and usually around dinner time so its much more likely you end up switching over to it while chowing down. back in the early 90s this is how i got into seinfeld. i would tape the syndicated episodes to catch up then i would watch the new shows on thursday nights. its probably the best sitcom i have ever seen, but top gear is so funny its dangerous. sometimes i laugh so hard i can barely breathe. seinfeld is all around funny but top gear pops a funny at you when you arent ready and it could kill you with it!

iannis

Musty Nester
If you wanna use the most quotable metric I think you'd have to go with The Simpsons Uber Alles. D'oh is well on it's way to replacing oops. They created a fucking word.

The structure of Seinfeld was one of the exceptional things about it. Seinfeld is a goodwriter. To weave something that tightly and have it seem so disjointed and random, and to do it successfully so many times around so many different subjects without seeming obviously formulaic -- that's an impressive skill. It wasn't even close to a show about nothing. He's just not that viscerallyfunny. But he is a very clever and creative man.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
his standup is terrible, he smiles at his own jokes. even when he isnt doing standup and he is "acting" when he makes a funny comment he smiles when he hits the punchline. if you never noticed it before now. go look for it and you will never be able to unsee it.

Decado

Golden Knight of the Realm
I fucking hate Seinfeld. The humour can be top notch, it was brilliantly written and i like most of the cast but Seinfeld himself just fucking annoys the hell out of me. I could punch his face all day

X-Files, i loved but couldn't say it was close to being the best ever. Very hit/miss with the last 2 seasons being total shit

better that those 2? Sopranos without doubt and imo West Wing, Blackadder, M*A*S*H and Game of Thrones. I haven't seen The Wire yet but haven't seen anyone who didn't think it was excellent

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I'm afraid to watch The Wire because I sometimes find myself needing to go into Baltimore.

iannis

Musty Nester
The Wire humanizes ghetto thugs.

Rather, The Wire shows how people just like you and me can (and do) become ghetto thugs.

Basically the show isn't about ghetto thugs. Which might seem like an odd thing to say since everyone in it is a ghetto thug, but it really is a show about regular people.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
While I agree Seinfeld was a good sitcom, I'm going to date myself and say that M*A*S*H and Home Improvment were better than Seinfeld.

M*A*S*H alone might qualify as the best TV show ever given how many awards it was nomintated for and recieved, as well as it's ratings, and how much money it generatated for the studio and network/syndication.

I'd argue Star Trek might also be considered one of the best simply because of how many spinoffs it had, the movies it spawned, the merchandicing, how much it influenced society. We still see it's influence in TV shows today (see The Big Bang Theory).
I watched Home Improvement when they still came out with new episodes and in reruns, it was about as formulaic and predictable as any paint-by-the-numbers sitcom of the previous 2 decades. I don't think there was anything impressive about it. Just another family oriented sitcom that filled that niche as Full House was on its way out.

If you wanna use the most quotable metric I think you'd have to go with The Simpsons Uber Alles. D'oh is well on it's way to replacing oops. They created a fucking word.

The structure of Seinfeld was one of the exceptional things about it. Seinfeld is a goodwriter. To weave something that tightly and have it seem so disjointed and random, and to do it successfully so many times around so many different subjects without seeming obviously formulaic -- that's an impressive skill. It wasn't even close to a show about nothing. He's just not that viscerallyfunny. But he is a very clever and creative man.
That's a perfectly cromulent view on the quotable metric statement..

As far as Seinfeld goes, his standup was pretty awful but the writing on the show was top notch. I'm inclined to believe that Larry David had more to do with it than Seinfeld himself.

The Wire humanizes ghetto thugs.

Rather, The Wire shows how people just like you and me can (and do) become ghetto thugs.

Basically the show isn't about ghetto thugs. Which might seem like an odd thing to say since everyone in it is a ghetto thug, but it really is a show about regular people.
Yeah, I never thought The Wire humanized thugs. It was just a show about people doing what they needed to do to get by. And it was incredibly realistic.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
P.S. interestingly enough, the Simpsons is only quotable from like Seasons 3-9. Anything before or after that is utterly forgettable

supertouch_sl

shitlord
I've never liked Seinfeld precisely because none of the characters are likable. However, I'm a big fan of Curb Your Enthusiasm.