No Man's Sky

Brikker

Trump's Staff
One would have thought you would have done some basic research into what you were buying...

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I didn't really do any base building either, there's plenty to do in the game. You do have to craft lots of modules to upgrade your ship and freighter to advance in the game. The game is about finding materials to upgrade your ship so you can go to progressively more hostile solar systems and planets to get... more materials. There's lots of procedurally generated quests to do along the way, along with a storyline to follow that acts like an extension of the tutorial.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I picked this up the other day and I'm really enjoying it.

I assume the story moves you along to walk through certain necessities, like using the mining tool and whatnot. I just built and installed my hyperdrive. At what point can/should I say screw it and just go do my own thing? Is there anything useful down the line if I keep following the tutorial/story?

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
they are treating you like a baby bird right now, once you feel like you are safe enough to leave that nest, go for it. It's a big universe out there!

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I just started myself. Not a fan of the inventory wrangling so far.

Got a mission to find a depot. It said "6 hours". I was like "on foot? How does it even calculate that time? Surely it won't take me 6 hours"

Now I'm close enough that it says "5 hours" and I have an inventory stuffed with valuables, but I'm debating if I should run all the way back to try getting my ship and flying there, or toughing it out.

• 1Worf

Cybsled

You can actually make your ship fly to you if it has enough fuel to take off. There is a summon ship/exocraft option and you can make your ship land right in front of you if you like.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
You can actually make your ship fly to you if it has enough fuel to take off. There is a summon ship/exocraft option and you can make your ship land right in front of you if you like.
That's what I ended up doing. I found some sort of trade depot after a while, and I'd managed to find some nav data during my wandering so I was able to spend that on the ship summon.

So with Sentinels...if you keep fighting them and your wanted rank gets pretty high, will the game keep spawning endless waves of them, or will they stop if/when you manage to kill the highest tier wave? At one point I was being chased by a mob of flyers/quads/biped walkers that just wouldn't leash (I'm guessing higher tier mobs may not leash at all) after killing some of the floaters, and I just reloaded the save I made right before I agro'ed them (shooting at locked factory door).

It was def just easier breaking LOS and letting them forget about me, and then getting inside to the terminal.

I'm not very far along yet and I see there's some stuff that might involve killing sentinels (mercenary stuff?) but I'm guessing I'd either need to find a planet that won't spawn giant walker sentinels (sentinel activity per planet?) or I'm really going to need to gear up for combat.

• 1Like

Lenas

Trump's Staff
At one point, sentinels would stop coming for you on the planet, and when you'd fly back into space you'd be met with a cruiser and attack ships.

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
I'm not very far along yet and I see there's some stuff that might involve killing sentinels (mercenary stuff?) but I'm guessing I'd either need to find a planet that won't spawn giant walker sentinels (sentinel activity per planet?) or I'm really going to need to gear up for combat.
When you get the weapons guy for your base his quest line ends with you killing sentinels until you get a walker and kill that. Otherwise for the most part they are a mere annoyance on planets when you are trying to get resources

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
These guys continue their awesome work. More upgrades for the next generation consoles and PC...for free.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Is there a better way to view the layout of the system you're in? I know you can open up the discovery tab to show the planets, but it doesn't show how they're laid out or their position relative to yours, and the system view in the galaxy map shows a layout, but doesn't let you select anything in it.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Anybody have any good suggestions on YouTube channels to watch for this? I'd really like to attempt to get deep into it (can't make it past 10 hours), but I always fall short because of how unfriendly it is to "grouping".

Cybsled

There is a channel called JasonPlays or something that does almost exclusive No Man's Sky videos.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Anybody have any good suggestions on YouTube channels to watch for this? I'd really like to attempt to get deep into it (can't make it past 10 hours), but I always fall short because of how unfriendly it is to "grouping".
"Wait, there's grouping?"

1604966432518.png

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
They fix the issue with base sizes? I may have asked long time ago, I forget. Used to be once you went over a certain amount of space used on bases, some would have terrain fill in, especially underground type bases.

Honestly what broke the game for me, I seem to recall it persisted after switching galaxies too, even though I no longer had access to those bases. I liked to build shit, think I needed to edit a file or mod to fix it.

Still impressed they keep updating the game years later, and not a single DLC.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
There's technically a lot of DLC, it's just all free.

I recall having issue with terrain fill in but once you walked/flew closer to it, it cleared up. I don't know if that's gotten any better though.

• 1Like

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
God Damn, they really need in-client draw distance adjustment so you don't have to rely on mods.

I turned down my first free freighter. Supposedly after you warp around some, you'll get a shot at a true capital freighter? I'm not in a hurry but I guess I'll see.

I didn't even think about going to a planet for salvage drops, until I realized how much money I made just digging up and selling a few while exploring.

Cybsled

You can basically save scum and reroll the frieghter encounter so the free freighter is actually good.