No Man's Sky

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
Yeah you can basically save scum it or if you decline it, it will come back in ~3 hours i think?

Apostolos

Golden Knight of the Realm
I loaded this up again about a week or two ago. I made a Permadeath run and after a few hours I had to uninstall it. The reason was the 'on rails' tutorial. The first part about fixing the ship is fine, but then I wanted to work on getting a fuel cell so I could actually start looking for a habitable planet as all the ones in my starter system were way too inhospitable to stay there. However after building my 4th or 5th base and deleting it so I could move on, I realized I was going to have to rebuild it yet again just to continue the base building tutorial which the fuel cell is gated behind. That beginning part was just way too tedious and there needs to be an option to either skip the tutorial or do it whenever you want instead of gating progression of basic game functionality behind it.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
It's not a tutorial, it's a questline. And that's pretty typical for video games. I'm not familiar with any games that just have everything unlocked and at your disposal out of the gate.

Why were you deleting your bases? You don't need to do that. You can have multiple bases...

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bruuce

Blackwing Lair Raider
I loaded this up again about a week or two ago. I made a Permadeath run and after a few hours I had to uninstall it. The reason was the 'on rails' tutorial. The first part about fixing the ship is fine, but then I wanted to work on getting a fuel cell so I could actually start looking for a habitable planet as all the ones in my starter system were way too inhospitable to stay there. However after building my 4th or 5th base and deleting it so I could move on, I realized I was going to have to rebuild it yet again just to continue the base building tutorial which the fuel cell is gated behind. That beginning part was just way too tedious and there needs to be an option to either skip the tutorial or do it whenever you want instead of gating progression of basic game functionality behind it.

I always thought this was a game that no one could really be "BAD" at. Yet here we are.

• 5Worf
Reactions: 4 users

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I spent the better part of two weeks immersing myself in this game a while ago (my first time playing). Really, really fun. However, I got to a point where I hit a wall of repetitiveness that made me lose interest. I saw a Youtube video about refining carbon and selling ammonia, so money stopped being an issue and I went on a buying spree upgrading everything I can. I've got a robust base built on a paradise planet. Now I'm just jumping from system to system moving closer to the center. Worlds are starting to look repetitive and I'm losing interest in landing and exploring. I've tried working on my fleet, but the WoW-mission-table style has also gotten repetitive.

I know there's a ton of miscellaneous features. Is there anything I should do as a change of pace?

Apostolos

Golden Knight of the Realm
Well not played since original release, so not sure what you mean. I guess I could be but never saw any option to make it or buy one even after getting to the space station and looking around. I thought I remembered the tutorial going into showing you how to make it so you could leave the system eventually, but it never did.

As to why I was deleting the base, every planet in my starter system had a severely hostile environment (either weather or sentinel) and I just wanted to leave before starting a base.

Last edited:

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Well not played since original release, so not sure what you mean. I guess I could be but never saw any option to make it or buy one even after getting to the space station and looking around. I thought I remembered the tutorial going into showing you how to make it so you could leave the system eventually, but it never did.

As to why I was deleting the base, every planet in my starter system had a severely hostile environment (either weather or sentinel) and I just wanted to leave before starting a base.
You can use the teleport system to warp back to pretty much every system you've been in, and your base if you build the gate thingy in. You don't need to dismantle anything.

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
Also you can have multiple bases as well, you aren't limited to 1. You don't have to delete anything, ever if you dont want to.

You can ignore the tutorial quest line and just play and eventually you will learn the fuel cell.

Cybsled

One thing I do is if I find a planet I really like, I'll setup a simple base that is basically just a portal and power systems, then I can just teleport back to it whenever I feel like to build out the base more.

The biome patch fucked one of my paradise planets, though. It went from a beautiful Earth like planet to fucking Dagobah lol

• 1Worf

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
Started a fresh save, barely done much of the starter storyline, and already see tons of changes since I last played. I see they have pretty much done away with inventory management, few stations and I already have slots bought in the mega storage on your suit for all the basics, even regular inventory looks as if it stacks much higher. You can even fully upgrade your tool/ship if you rich in credits/nanites now, nice for fully custom ships I suppose. I've barely started, sure I'll see more.

I'm not sure if the galaxy system is the same, but I was thinking of finishing storyline again then stocking up and making a trip through the various galaxy types, not hard to keep stocked up with some light exploration along the way to center.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I gotta give this game another shot. I went in thinking it was a completely different game. I kind of hate Minecraft, so that aspect is lost on me, but I am a huge sci fi nerd and love the universe and astronomy etc.

Also love exploring environments, so I am pretty sure I can find enjoyment here, I just have to appreciate the aspects of the game that I normally wouldnt. I only made one base on the starting planet they put you on, and made it to the first space station. I quit after that. I am probably gonna jump back in before Cyberpunk drops.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
1605389577363.png

1605389811212.png

• 4Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 5 users

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
So I picked this game up for the PS5, knowing very little about it.
Started it up, default difficulty, arrived on a planet and am immediately freezing to death. It's telling me I need to repair my scanner using ferrite, I look around for ferrite, still freezing.. play with the controls, figure out i can blast rocks to get ferrite. Start shooting every rock I can see, end up getting enough ferrite, repair the scanner. Now it tells me I need to use the scanner to find sodium so I can get more fuel for my suit to protect me from the cold. Ok, I fire the scanner, still taking damage from the cold. Scanner pulses, I look around, I see a bunch of element codes here and there, mostly H for Hydrogen. I'm thinking I need to find the sodium marker, which luckily I remember is Na. But looking around, I don't see any Na, just some O and H. It tells me sodium comes from yellow planets. I'm briefly scampering around looking for yellow plants when I die from the cold.

Respawn, fire the scanner immediately, still no Na to be seen.. running, running, searching, scanner recharges, pulse it again.. look, one Na symbol on the horizon, hurrah! Run to it, already freezing to death, loot the sodium, follow the instructions to recharge the suit, but it only adds a bit, enough for another 30-60 seconds or so.. So I keep running towards me next quest marker, looking for more sodium, none to be found, I freeze to death.

Respawn again, scan, one sodium vaguely towards my quest marker, great, run run run eyeballing the sodium marker.. fall off a cliff, reflex fire up the jetpack, hover for a few seconds but there's nowhere safe to go, drop and die again.. oops.

Respawn again, running towards the sodium/quest marker, find a big group of sodium plants, enough to last me a while, nice! Find my ship, get inside and discover the life support/freezing thing stops while inside. ahh i can relax for a bit finally.

This painful experience is a strong motivator for me but I have to think that the new player experience for this game has turned off a lot of people.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Talenvor

Lord Nagafen Raider
Isn’t there an adventure mode or something where you don’t have to worry about all the fuel/suit management snd can just explore the planets?

• 1Like

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Yes there were 4 options: adventure mode, permadeath mode, 'easier' mode, and normal which is the default/one I selected.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
The survival stuff is an afterthought on default difficulty after the first hour or so. Don't let it discourage you.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, there's not a lot of bullshit on normal difficulty. Just enough to remind you that you're playing a game.

• 1Truth!

Oldbased

> Than U
Been enjoying this for the week. Last time I played was over a year ago and before the water bases.
Sucks I had to spend 25 hours powering through the bullshit quests and discovery of recipes but I am up in a freighter with 30 frigs in a class A with 39 slots now so the fun part for me is on. Hunting for better shit and frig missions.

Bruuce

Blackwing Lair Raider
Did you start a new game or continue from your old one? I was thinking about doing a fresh one since I started mine before a lot of these changes