No Man's Sky

JarekStorm_sl

shitlord
Beta was leaked if you want to find out (Lawl)

No Man's Sky Beta

Got some Mark Jacobs talking about Warhammer online flashbacks when i watched that biggest game world video a couple of posts up
The last video in the gamespot series this week showed the lead dev explicitly laughing at this misconception, saying, "We are designing the algorithms so that you don't just have different colored sky and tress, like this planet is red, this one is yellow, etc."

He even went so far as to state that variables in the atmosphere, such as particulates, gas composition, humidity and so on, would affect the various biospheres and such. So they know what people fear, and they know what's cheesy, and they seem to know how to avoid such issues.

Maybe they won't be able to pull it off, but I'm at least giving them the benefit of the doubt until they are proven one way or another. One thing's for sure, nothing will stop me from at least trying this game out. It's the culmination of a lifelong dream for me.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, the team themselves seem very aware of the issues they face and I really like what they are saying. Whether they can overcome them is to be seen.

Apostolos

Golden Knight of the Realm
I know Soy.. you just don't like going to church. The NMS project will be a space station!@! (and No... it is NOT too big to be a space station)

Zhavric

Molten Core Raider
Anyone heard anything new about this game? Trying to figure out if I'm still excited about it (leaning towards not). Does anyone know if there are intelligent species of aliens that you encounter?

Gator

Molten Core Raider
New post on the Playstation blog from Sean Murray.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/...se-to-explore/

A little excerpt.
"Sure there is trading, combat, weapons, ships, and a core game...... The cool thing is that every planet has a single number, a random seed, that defines everything about that planet. A single random seed generates every blade of grass, tree, flower, creature. So as the developer I can note down the planet seed, and then just go back there any time I want. We demoed this at Gamescom, just jumping round the universe to different planets. There are no load times, because nothing needs to load, as the planets are entirely computer-generated.
Really this seed defines how many planets you can discover before things start to go a bit crazy and undefined. For us we choose a big number. We're working to a 64-bit system, which is 2 to the power of 64. or 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 possible planets. Even if a planet is discovered every second, it'll take 585 billion years to find them all!"

Gator

Molten Core Raider
Double post
frown.png

Quaid

Trump's Staff
I still think that's fucking stupid. They should have stuck to 50 million planets or so. A number as large as they are shooting for is going to make the universe totally meaningless. A good portion of it will never even be seen.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
There's no real difference between 2^16, 2^32 and 2^64 planets. The max value of the seed doesn't really make each planet less unique. It's just about how much variation they are able to pack into the randomization engine. If they're good people will get bored after ~10 planets.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
These sort of games are precisely why I hope the Rift really takes off.

Thlayli

Lord Nagafen Raider

Looks like they're finally releasing multiple gameplay videos. Galaxy map has a neat interface but they need to recolor some of their stars to not be all white.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Looks great, I love procedural generation for content. I look forward to seeing how they conquer all the problems associated with that.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Looks great, I love procedural generation for content. I look forward to seeing how they conquer all the problems associated with that.
Looks like minecraft where you fly around and its always online. Meh.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Just to nit pick something, the transition from space to the planet looks really short. Planet to space seems fine. Only a few seconds difference but I'd like to see the views change more on your way down to the planet.

Galaxy map looks daunting.

I can't even fathom the size of the universe they are shooting to create. You can't help but hope they some how pull this off in an amazing way because what it means for future games if content can be generated like this is just mind boggling. I can't wait to check it out for myself.

spronk

FPS noob
there is actually an objective, get to the center of the galaxy (you start off at the fringes). you will need to earn money for the fuel and shit to get there.

game looks good saw a lot at PSX but its definitely a bit too overhyped. its gonna be one of those "you get what you put in" games like minecraft. another game that looked goofy fun like it was one where you play as a tree, looked gorgeous