No Man's Sky

Haus

<Silver Donator>
I have a high level of interest in this game. The one downside for me is the lack of being able to play third person. That's not for me personally, but the lovely and charming Mrs Haus has motion sickness/simulator sickness issues that give her hell when playing things first person and I'd like to find a new game the two of us can play together.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Update 1.03

If you had an early copy somehow, your save game will technically work post update, but you will miss out on new content and experiences if you don’t delete your save before updating (should be obvious why from notes below). We highly recommend deleting your save if you have played before updating your game (we won’t do this in future, but it’s a day zero update).

Servers will be wiped on Sunday and again Monday in the lead up to launch.

Beware these notes contain some spoilers. Here are some things our little team has been up to over the last four or five weeks:

• The Three Paths – there are now new, unique “paths” you can follow throughout the game. You must start the game on a fresh save, with the patch, as early choices have significant impact on what you see later in the game, and the overall experience.
  • The Universe – we changed the rules of the universe generation algorithm. Planets have moved. Environments have changed biomes. Galaxies have altered shape. All to create greater variety earlier. Galaxies are now up to 10x larger.
  • Diversity – Creatures are now more diverse in terms of ecology and densities on planets.
  • Planets – we’ve added dead moons, low atmosphere and extreme hazardous planets. Extreme hazards include blizzards and dust storms.
  • Atmosphere – space, night time and day skies are now 4x more varied due to new atmospheric system, which refracts light more accurately to allow for more intense sunsets.
  • Planet rotation – play testing has made it obvious people are struggling to adjust to this during play so it’s effects have been reduced further…
  • Terrain generation – caves up to 128m tall are now possible. Geometric anomalies have been added. Underwater erosion now leads to more interesting sea beds.
  • Ship diversity – a wider variety of ships appear per star system, and are available to purchase. Cargo and installed technology now vary more, and ships have more unique attributes.
  • Inventory – ship inventories now store 5 times more resources per slot. Suit inventories now store 2.5 times more per slot. This encourages exploration and gives freedom from the beginning. We’re probably going to increase this even further in the next update, for people in the latter game phases, and will allow greater trading potential.
  • Trading – trading is deeper. Star systems and planets each have their own wants and needs, based off a galactic economy. Observing these is the key to successful trading. We still working on adjusting this based on how everyone plays, but all trading values have been rebalanced across the galaxy, giving a greater depth. A bunch of trade exploits were uncovered and have been removed
  • Feeding – creatures now have their own diet, based on planet and climate. Feeding them correctly will yield different results per species, such as mining for you, protecting the player, becoming pets, alerting you to rare loot or pooping valuable resources.
  • Survival – recharging hazard protection requires rare resources, making shielding shards useful again. Storms can be deadly. Hazard protection and suit upgrades have been added. Liquids are often more dangerous
  • Graphical effects – Lighting and texture resolution have been improved. Shadow quality has doubled. Temporal AA didn’t make it in time, but it’s so close
  • Balancing – several hundred upgrades have had stat changes (mainly exo-suit and ship, but also weapon), new upgrades have been added.
  • Combat – Auto Aim and weapon aim has been completely rewritten to feel more gentle in general, but stickier when you need it. Sentinels now alert each other, if they haven’t been dealt with quickly. Quad and Walker AI is now much more challenging, even I struggle with them without a powered up weapon.
  • Space Combat – advanced techniques have been introduced, like brake drifting and critical hits. Bounty missions and larger battles now occur. Pirate frequency has been increased, as well as difficulty depending on your cargo.
  • Exploits – infinite warp cell exploit and rare goods trading exploit among other removed. People using these cheats were ruining the game for themselves, but people are weird and can’t stop themselves ¯\_(シ)_/¯
  • Stability – foundations for buildings on super large planets. Resolved several low repro crashes, in particular when player warped further than 256 light years in one session (was only possible due to warp cell exploit above).
  • Space Stations – interiors are now more varied, bars, trade rooms and hydroponic labs have been added
  • Networking – Ability to scan star systems other players have discovered on the Galactic Map, increasing the chance of collision. Star systems discovered by other players appear during Galactic Map flight
  • Ship scanning – scanning for points of interest from your ship is now possible. Buildings generate earlier and show up in ship scans
  • Flying over terrain – pop-in and shadow artefacts have been reduced. Generation speed has been increased two fold (planets with large bodies of water will be targeted in next update)
  • Writing – The Atlas path has been rewritten by James Swallow (writer on Deus Ex) and me. I think it speaks to the over-arching theme of player freedom more clearly now. Early mission text has been rewritten to allow for multiple endings.

I grew up reading Carmack’s .plan files for Quake, so it’s fun to be writing one of my own :)

Next up we’re adding the ability to build bases and own giant space freighters. Temporal AA and my new cloud rendering tech should be coming soon too. It will really change the game again, and enhance it visually.

This universe we’ve built is a pretty large canvas, we’ve got a lot of ideas. This is the type of game we want to be.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Next up we’re adding the ability to build bases and own giant space freighters. Temporal AA and my new cloud rendering tech should be coming soon too. It will really change the game again, and enhance it visually.

Alright well they just fixed the game if that's true then.

• 1Like

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
In regards to the patch notes, the "Networking" point seems to indicate you being able to more easily see other players now, but the lack of need for a PS+ sub still makes me think you will only see the names the other players have set.

They also do call the way the leak guy got to the galaxy fast a bug/exploit and have patched it (which was expected).

Didn't know branching paths were in the game, but sounds like the game is more scripted than just go in and explore and find things randomly.

• 1Like

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I mean the thing, besides obviously multiplayer/co-op which it does need, that it needed more than anything was base building.

If they get that in, and all the rest of those patch notes are true, then I'm just a tiny bit more optimistic about this than I have been in awhile.

I was never one of the people that bought the hype on it, anyway. I would have bought it anyway just based on the fact I can fly spaceships and pew pew shit. But its just nice to see they have longer term plans for updates and such than just "Release it and walk away" as well.

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
I mean the thing, besides obviously multiplayer/co-op which it does need, that it needed more than anything was base building.

If they get that in, and all the rest of those patch notes are true, then I'm just a tiny bit more optimistic about this than I have been in awhile.

I was never one of the people that bought the hype on it, anyway. I would have bought it anyway just based on the fact I can fly spaceships and pew pew shit. But its just nice to see they have longer term plans for updates and such than just "Release it and walk away" as well.

Yeah adding base building puts this one step closer to a modern X3, and I would fucking kill for that.

Diemess

Silver Knight of the Realm

Is this game full solo mode only? If so, I don't see this lasting long expect for the minecraft enthusiasts type.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
The truth is right now no one really knows the answer to that question.

It doesn't seem like there is real multiplayer or co-op though, no. More like you explore shit, you name shit, and that gets uploaded to a server and then other people can see it.

But we just don't know for an absolute fact yet.

• 1Like

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
It is also something they could feasibly add in at some point. The above patch notes seem to make it clear the game is a platform, a "universe" and that they're going to build upon it.

So who really knows.

They've kept a lot of cards close to their chests. Its either shit (likely) or amazing (hopefully)

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
When will we be able to download, I was hoping it would start at midnight, but it seems it might not start til tomorrow afternoon.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
For PC? No clue, its pushed back to the 12th for a launch so prolly before then.

For PS4, preload is up as of last night. I've already downloaded it on both playstations.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Those sound like good patch notes. If I wasn't leaving for a 5 week trip on the 18th I'd probably pick this up just because. Since I'll be gone awhile and large, sweeping changes just before launch make me dubious I'm going to wait until I get back. Unless impulse get the better of me.

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
This reminds me of an old ass Dos/Windows game I used to play called Project Nomad, it had basically all these elements and a massive galaxy to explore, plus quite a bit or storyline. It also makes me miss the old EVE online drama threads on Rerolled/FoH. I loved reading about those games (Playing EVE is cancer though, that UI :()

Nomad (video game) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

• 1Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Had a bit of a ride w/ this game, completely pessimistic then very interested w/ the first shots of live non-staged 'retail' gameplay, but really down on it after reading things like 'ships are all cosmetic' and really think most were underrating the persistence of really anything in the game (figured all the systems would just be generated as you visited, as in you could visit the same one twice and it will be fairly different). I mean we already know that your changes to a planet don't persist 'unless the change is big enough' - but who really knows what the hell that means, what kind of answer is that.

Base building
Trading
More 'unique properties' to ships
Freighters

...all kinda blow holes in most of my pessimism. But now I've got to wait until a couple of days after launch to play it on PC, so now there's time for all the PC players to decide if it's worth $60 or wait for the winter sale.

Certainly leaning towards a ~90 minute trial and then grabbing a refund to scratch the launch-day itch if that still exists w/ the PC delay.

• 1Like

Hosix

All labs matter!
For PC? No clue, its pushed back to the 12th for a launch so prolly before then.

For PS4, preload is up as of last night. I've already downloaded it on both playstations.

Please keep us posted. I am holding off on this until I see some reviews from peeps on here.

• 1Like

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
http://i.imgur.com/3Xj6Mbt.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/fTQvGkt.jpg

3Xj6Mbt.jpg

Sorry for links instead of pics, my fucking workplace has blocked imgur... (Source is PSN Magazine, UK)

Seems that coop is actually comming, but after release.

Last edited by a moderator:

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Yes, its a platform for future development.

Guess that's why they upped the price to 60 bucks from the original 30, so they can make as much as possible and sustain development long term.

I'm honestly not that worried about this title after the patch notes and future updates planned stuff.

Comes out tonight on PS4, I might just live stream that shit on twitch for a bit after it unlocks. Don't know if that'll be tonight or in the morning but yeah.