[NO Spoilers] Star Wars: Episode 7 - NO PUSSY SHIT

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Star Wars Episodes VII-IX will not tell the same story told in the post-Return of the Jedi Expanded Universe. While the universe that readers knew is changing, it's not being discarded.
So, nothing changed but the label?

Not sure how this changes anything.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
JJ blows donkey dick, but i don't think anyone could actually make these movies well. the originals were true masterpieces, the prequels and these are just cash grabs. if they raised stanley kubrick from the dead and had him make these sequels, they would still suck.
Reminder: Star Wars only exists because Lucas couldn't get the rights to Buck Rogers.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I enjoyed the Expanded Universe for a time, but it quickly went from one book a year to dozens and the plotlines veered pretty far from the original source. By the time we had the organic zentraedi-like space invaders and teenage Darth Angst it was clear it was never going to survive long-term.

Still I think it will be mined (as it already was for some Clone Wars elements) for the gems that existed in the narrative. I could easily see Thrawn and Mara Jade making their way into full continuity for example.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Still I think it will be mined (as it already was for some Clone Wars elements) for the gems that existed in the narrative. I could easily see Thrawn and Mara Jade making their way into full continuity for example.
I hope they un-fuck the retarded things the EU did with Mara Jade and the Solo children. Killing off the little Solo just as he was becoming Luke 2.0 was so stupid I could barely wrap my head around it. My brother threw the book across the room when he read it happen. You could tell they wanted the series to be edgy and dangerous, but they really shot themselves in the foot with that one.

Radge_sl

shitlord
I hope they un-fuck the retarded things the EU did with Mara Jade and the Solo children. Killing off the little Solo just as he was becoming Luke 2.0 was so stupid I could barely wrap my head around it. My brother threw the book across the room when he read it happen. You could tell they wanted the series to be edgy and dangerous, but they really shot themselves in the foot with that one.
Yeah, that was pretty much the beginning of the end for the EU quality-wise. I mean, they had spent the last half-dozen books building up his character and then BOOM, dead. From what I understand, George Lucas ordered them to kill him off since the prequels were coming out and he didn't want people getting confused about two characters with similar names.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Yeah, that was pretty much the beginning of the end for the EU quality-wise. I mean, they had spent the last half-dozen books building up his character and then BOOM, dead. From what I understand, George Lucas ordered them to kill him off since the prequels were coming out and he didn't want people getting confused about two characters with similar names.
Wow, just when I thought I couldn't hate Lucas more, you say that and Wikipedia backs it up.

Solo Family Wikipedia Entry_sl said:
In the following novel by Troy Denning, Star by Star published on October 30, 2001, Anakin leads a team of Jedi to take out a dangerous enemy of the Jedi resulting in his death. Writers of the New Jedi Order story line revealed in a question-and-answer section of the paperback edition of The Unifying Force published on August 3, 2004 that Anakin was supposed to be the hero of the story and lead the Jedi Order, but this was changed due to the release of the Star Wars prequel films, in which the hero was also named Anakin. Instead, he dies in battle at the conclusion of the novel.
How fucking retarded. We have the EU set up to have a new leader to redeem the name of his grandfather and we kill him so the fat idiot can make another billion dollars.

Gorillaz_sl

shitlord
Yeah once I got to the Yuvong or whatever the hell they were, I stopped reading. The stuff before that was really good though.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
so what about the EU characters that were created for the video games? are they in the same boat? i'm talking specifically about kyle katarn. i'd love to see him and luke as old drinking buddies

Jarnin_sl

shitlord
They're distancing themselves from the EU, but not disowning it. That'll allow them to cherry-pick the popular parts and ignore the stuff that didn't work.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I didn't mind the Yuuzhan Vong, but there was certainly nothing special about them. Gotta admit, Chewie went out like a fucking raid boss.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
They're distancing themselves from the EU, but not disowning it. That'll allow them to cherry-pick the popular parts and ignore the stuff that didn't work.
That's my take as well. But I won't be surprised if Luke is single and The Jedi Order still has all the same rules. The only ones from EU I wouldn't mind seeing is Kyle Katarn and Mara Jade. But if not so be it.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Kyp Durron, Thrawn, and the Eclipse were just so badass tho...

Might just be because of when I read the books, the lense of youth makes everything great.

Also, fuck killing Anakin 2.0, glad I stopped reading them before that was published

Caliane

They already said that stupid shit. It was always the "rule".
movies were canon everything else was not.

Everyone of course just ignored it, because it was stupid, and the movies retconned themselves.

"personal" canon is the only way to go with Starwars. there has always been stupid shit, best left forgotten.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
I thought "shadows of the empire" was the only book/game lucas acknowledged. dash rendar's ship was Easter egged into the special edition of episode IV.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Wow, just when I thought I couldn't hate Lucas more, you say that and Wikipedia backs it up.

How fucking retarded. We have the EU set up to have a new leader to redeem the name of his grandfather and we kill him so the fat idiot can make another billion dollars.
That makes no sense. The only people who would even know the name Anakin Solo are neckbeard nerds that wouldn't be confused.

Blackyce

Silver Knight of the Realm
That makes no sense. The only people who would even know the name Anakin Solo are neckbeard nerds that wouldn't be confused.
It makes perfect sense if you're George Lucas. Remember he killed the license to Star Wars Galaxies so people wouldn't confuse it with Star Wars: The Old Republic. How'd that work out for them by the way?