[NO Spoilers] Star Wars: Episode 7 - NO PUSSY SHIT

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Look, the jedi had been around for like 10,000 years (at least). You're telling me it's a better story if they pretend that in that 10,000 years NO ONE had tried to study the force and found out any damn thing about it's origin? The only other option for Lucas was to have a God in his universe, and I'm betting that would have pissed off a lot more of you than something in your blood. In the first 3 episodes, it was no problem because all the Jedi and their culture was dead. But the prequels didn't have that cop out.

Sorry you think it ruined it for you, but it's no one's fault but your own that you can't marginalize the midichlorians in your own mind.
If the force comes from something that they can find and identify, then it can at the same time be condensed and harvested to make people who have the force more 'powerful' ect ect. This is only the start of most people's problems with it. The concept turns something thats mystical and follows mystical rules into something scientific that still follows mystical rules. Basically, it really hurts the belief of the force in people with common sense. Just because its mystical doesn't mean there needs to be a god or anything else. It can be its own thing, and have its own religion/beliefs (As the first trilogy highly implies).

Sometimes its really bad to pull back the curtain. This is one of those times.

Vlett

Lord Nagafen Raider
So the clone war cartoon is in for lore. The new Rebel's cartoon is too I assume...Are the Force Unleashed games story in? That story separated from EU with the ability to make clones with Jedi powers is why I care.

I admit I've read all the books, but I'm still trying to figure out what's "official".

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Yeah. This is why most horror movies suck, because of the need to explain. The jedi are magic force wizards, NO ONE was crying out for a make-believe sciencey explanation for why. I don't need to know the reason why the ghost is haunting the house, no possible explanation is as satisfying as the mystery.
This.
Just like Prometheus. The unknown origin of the alien was something of a likable mystery. We didn t need some lame explanation, engineers lol
But even if you want explain the Force, bacteria in your blood must the most lazy and stupid idea ever.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Darth Tenebrous (the Master of Darth Plagueis) engineered a retrovirus to turn some of his midichlorians into maxichlorians, giving him a form of eternal life.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Darth Tenebrous (the Master of Darth Plagueis) engineered a retrovirus to turn some of his midichlorians into maxichlorians, giving him a form of eternal life.
The scary thing is I don't think you're making that up. Some writer was actually paid to write that in a "book".

ohkcrlho

Wait..what?!? Midichlorians are now being used in the star wars universe? lol
People are dumb.

j00t

The movies introduced midichlorians inviting science into the idea of the force. Everyone immediately goes up in arms about Lucas turning the force into some explainable phenomenon.

Except it doesn't. The movies didn't explain what midichlorians were, or where they came from, what caused some people to have more or less, or how they enabled their host to use the force. Midichlorians also don't do ANYTHING to explain what the force is or where IT came from. And THAT is the problem with them. They were introduced completely inexplicably and in the end didn't give the viewer any actual information. It stands out as such a glaring issue but its just one more issue with the prequals. Red letter media already went over it, and I'm sure we've all seen it, but there's no main character, there's too much inconsequential information, there's no real character development, and the plot doesn't ACTUALLY make any sense when you look at them all as a whole. Midichlorians fall into the inconsequential info category. There's no real point to them even being mentioned.

j00t

But that's the thing, it wasn't the laziest. He could have just said, the force wants me to train him. Lucas DELIBERATELY spent time and energy creating something that has no actual impact

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Midichlorians are what happens when you make a Star Wars movie targeting eight year olds as your primary audience. Lucas completely sold out to the toy companies in Phantom Menace. Just make Anakin sixteen instead of eight and the natural shifts in story to accommodate that would have fixed most issues with Menace. Original Star Wars was a coming of age movie based around a teen Luke, two young adults Leia Han, and a wise old mentor Ben and it swept both the adult on kids world up in its wake. Lucas just couldn't stick to original script that had powered the first three movies to greatness he just had to make another grab for that Ewok toy company cash.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Lucas completely sold out to the toy companies in Phantom Menace.
He sold out to merchandising long before that. He just had other, more talented, people surrounding him to mitigate it. Those people were no longer around by the time of Phantom Menace.

j00t

I think that's wishful thinking. The other 2 movies were coming of age movies and they were still pretty terrible. The issues that plagued phantom menace still affected the other 2, just in different ways. The only thing that could have saved it was if Lucas didn't seclude himself with yes men who just wanted to leech off him. Anyone who disagreed with him, he got rid of. He started doing that during empire, but it didn't really show until jedi when you look at the original script. The prequals look like Jr high writing. Not because Lucas' skill degraded, he just fired any editors that criticized his work

Gecko_sl

shitlord
Lucas DELIBERATELY spent time and energy creating something that has no actual impact
You just described all of the prequels.

Anyways, it was far cooler when the force was purely metaphysical. The best part of Lucas selling Star Wars is they scrapped the EU. Now, if we could just get them to scrap the prequels.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
One of the things I grew to love about the Star Wars universe was that in the realm of amazing technological horrors and miracles you had this mystical force that was more powerful than any of that. And that power was both good and evil. It created a fun balance in the story telling and backdrop of the universe.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I think that's wishful thinking. The other 2 movies were coming of age movies and they were still pretty terrible. The issues that plagued phantom menace still affected the other 2, just in different ways. The only thing that could have saved it was if Lucas didn't seclude himself with yes men who just wanted to leech off him. Anyone who disagreed with him, he got rid of. He started doing that during empire, but it didn't really show until jedi when you look at the original script. The prequals look like Jr high writing. Not because Lucas' skill degraded, he just fired any editors that criticized his work
The only thing that could have saved the prequels is if they were never made in the first place. Seriously, this is an example of making a story where there is none. It's just like Jerry Seinfeld once said: leave them wanting more. Instead, Lucas just shit out three awful movies with three scripts that probably took him all of a half an hour to write. I'm sure the next three movies will be just as awful, and people will try and convince themselves that they're amazing.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
So the clone war cartoon is in for lore. The new Rebel's cartoon is too I assume...Are the Force Unleashed games story in? That story separated from EU with the ability to make clones with Jedi powers is why I care.

I admit I've read all the books, but I'm still trying to figure out what's "official".
Are you saying the force unleashed did or did not have the ability to make clones with force powers? I didn't read or play those, so I don't know. It sounds like you're saying they did, but the EU had that too, so I'm confused.

j00t

Force unleashed 2 was all about cloning force users. It was regarded as a pretty rare accomplishment. The EU did it, but I don't think before force unleashed (timeline-wise).

And force unleashed is no longer cannon. It was honestly pretty borderline cannon even before lucas sold star wars. I enjoyed them for what they were, but they were written like fanfics

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I just caught up on the last several pages and all I can say is:

OMG it's canon people, canon!

(Not just at j00t, several people did it and I had to wait to catch up to current before I could shoot my load!)