North Korea

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
NK is insulated by the fact that they are under the wing of the Chinese. After that, they have no viable natural resources and any major escalation would almost certainly spill over into SK. Apple can't be havin' no interruption on getting them Samsung screens.
You mean aside from the estimated 6 Trillion worth of Rare Earth Metals they are sitting on?

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
China is going to wind up in an ugly situation if they keep letting NK do this because eventually south korea and japan are going to wind up making nukes of their own for defense and china really does not want to be surrounded by countries all working on nuke programs.
China wants stability and basically for everyone to mind their own business and let them carry on banking all the money on the planet. North Korea is useful to them in that it keeps South Korea away from their border, but North Korea is a problem to them because they make everyone else nervous, and there's the continual risk of the country imploding with all the instability that would bring. All China wants is for the North Koreans to sit on the border and shut up. I wouldn't be surprised if the new Kim ended up being "retired" after a few words from the Chinese to the right NK general.

The Chinese aren't as bothered by potential Japanese nukes as they are by Asian countries looking to the US to shield them from crazy NK and building extensive anti-missile defences, thereby rendering Chinese missiles much less effective in the real conflicts over Taiwan and various nearby islands.

China wants stability and basically for everyone to mind their own business and let them carry on banking all the money on the planet. North Korea is useful to them in that it keeps South Korea away from their border, but North Korea is a problem to them because they make everyone else nervous, and there's the continual risk of the country imploding with all the instability that would bring. All China wants is for the North Koreans to sit on the border and shut up.I wouldn't be surprised if the new Kim ended up being "retired" after a few words from the Chinese to the right NK general.

The Chinese aren't as bothered by potential Japanese nukes as they are by Asian countries looking to the US to shield them from crazy NK and building extensive anti-missile defences, thereby rendering Chinese missiles much less effective in the real conflicts over Taiwan and various nearby islands.
The whole system is built on a cult of personality, dunno if it could function without a Kim at the helm. ofc they could do a 'Man in the Iron Mask' and put a double out front. The new Kim seems to be high on his own supply atm.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
You mean aside from the estimated 6 Trillion worth of Rare Earth Metals they are sitting on?
I know it's still a long way off but when we finally start mining Asteroids China is going to be SOL. It'll be funny to watch as the prices tumble and that 6 Trillion is reduced to millions. I'm not sure how far away from that being a reality it is though. 20-30 years? Maybe sooner?

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I know it's still a long way off but when we finally start mining Asteroids China is going to be SOL. It'll be funny to watch as the prices tumble and that 6 Trillion is reduced to millions. I'm not sure how far away from that being a reality it is though. 20-30 years? Maybe sooner?
China doesn't have a monopoly on rare earth metals, just their production, because it's polluting as fuck.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Right. The only thing in the way are a few pesky mountains.
You really think it's hard for them to dig them up when they don't crap about public safty standards and polluting the earth in the process? Also China is giving them a crap ton of money and political favors for that ore. If China up and leaves they'll figure out a way to get it themselves and sell it to whoever.

The point of my statement was though is you act like NK has no value to it at all and they do, them, along with China are amoung the richest in those rare earth metals and thats a major resource.

And as awesome as it would be, we are a long ways off from mining asteroids.

Numbers_sl

shitlord
Speaking of mining and people and things you don't want doing it...http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...91C1N320130213

The remote district of Rovieng was once a battleground between Cambodian government troops and Pol Pot's genocidal Khmer Rouge. Unexploded bombs still lurk in its fields and forests.

So does something more desirable - iron ore - and supposedly in such huge quantities two Chinese companies have an $11-billion plan to extract it.

Their proposal - a steel plant and seaport linked by a 404-km (251-mile) railroad - has alarmed environmentalists, mystified mining and transport experts, and bolstered Cambodia's reputation as an agent for Chinese expansionism in a region where the United States is increasingly competing for influence.

It is the latest in a series of mega-projects underscoring China's growing economic clout in mainland Southeast Asia, while improving China's access to supplies of raw material and ports in the Indian Ocean and South China Sea.

Work will soon begin on a $7-billion railway through Laos to link China's Yunnan province with northeast Thailand. And in Myanmar work is almost finished on a $3-billion twin pipeline project to carry oil and gas to Yunnan from Myanmar's Bay of Bengal coast.

The railway, port and steel project will be Cambodia's largest, with a price tag not far off the value of the country's $12.9 billion economy. The steel plant in Rovieng, in northern Cambodia, will be its first. The seaport on a Cambodian island in the Gulf of Thailand will be connected to the mainland by a 3-km (1.9-mile) bridge. The railroad will almost span Cambodia, although its exact route hasn't been revealed.

"This is 65-percent iron," says Sun Qi Cai, 58, caressing a heavy, gleaming lump of Rovieng rock. "Not many places have such high-quality ore." That includes China, the world's largest steel maker, where most ore has an iron content of less than 40 percent.

Sun is a Chinese site manager for Cambodia Iron and Steel Mining Industry Group, which on December 31 signed a deal to build the three-part project with China Major Bridge Engineering Co, a subsidiary of state-owned behemoth China Railways Group.

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
The whole system is built on a cult of personality, dunno if it could function without a Kim at the helm. ofc they could do a 'Man in the Iron Mask' and put a double out front. The new Kim seems to be high on his own supply atm.
There's a couple of brother Kims. However, one of them is regarded as "no good because he is like a little girl" while the other got arrested trying to get to Tokyo Disneyland, resulting in exile to China, although apparently he's now on the move because the Kim in charge is trying to bump him off. Someone should turn this into a soap.

Tangurena_sl

shitlord
With Abe being prime minister of Japan again, he is going to be pushing for the repeal of Article 9 of their constitution (the one banning warfare and a real military). He tried pushing for that last time he was PM. I expect Japan to build their own nukes because of Abe and NK. I expect SK to build nukes because Japan has them. And I expect an arms race as a bunch of other countries build up their militaries because Japan is militarizing again. Not everyone who was abused by Japan in WW2 is dead yet. And the older generations in office are likely to remember stories told by parents and other relatives of what happened. As crazy as NK sounds, they just say out loud the anti-Japanese feelings that a lot of other Asians still feel.

There's a couple of brother Kims. However, one of them is regarded as "no good because he is like a little girl" while the other got arrested trying to get to Tokyo Disneyland, resulting in exile to China, although apparently he's now on the move because the Kim in charge is trying to bump him off. Someone should turn this into a soap.
silly move, Tokyo Disneyland is pretty shitty, he shoulda aimed higher.

With Abe being prime minister of Japan again, he is going to be pushing for the repeal of Article 9 of their constitution (the one banning warfare and a real military). He tried pushing for that last time he was PM. I expect Japan to build their own nukes because of Abe and NK. I expect SK to build nukes because Japan has them. And I expect an arms race as a bunch of other countries build up their militaries because Japan is militarizing again. Not everyone who was abused by Japan in WW2 is dead yet. And the older generations in office are likely to remember stories told by parents and other relatives of what happened. As crazy as NK sounds, they just say out loud the anti-Japanese feelings that a lot of other Asians still feel.
NK has and supposedly still abducts Japanese in the boonies, takes them back to best Korea and uses them to gather intel, teach spies the language and as fuck toys. there is also a big former NK populace in Japan that sends cash to relatives still there keeping them alive.

The rumors about it happening again were brought up a few years back in Japanese News papers, when a rash of missing persons cases in coastal areas were unsolved. Could be the 'boogie man' and japanese go missing to off themselves every day, so who knows.

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
I listened to a documentary about NK awhile ago that talked about how millenium of being used as a pawn by the larger powers in the area(ie china, japan) had a large role in their being the hermit kingdom they are today.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
China doesn't have a monopoly on rare earth metals, just their production, because it's polluting as fuck.
There is really no reason why you don't want some of the most polluting mining and manufacturing to be in china and not america. There are some benefits to that arrangement, let them pollute themselves for money instead of us doing it to ourselves.