North Korea

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
We are using our power to force them to be obedient. Sanctions clearly hurt them far more than they hurt us, so we're just throwing our weight around. "We are constantly testing new military weapons, but you aren't allowed to. If you don't like it, we won't trade with you." That's the gist of it.

Plus sanctions are an act of force against another country. We disallow our businesses to interact with their businesses.* If our businesses decided of their own will to not trade with NK, that wouldn't be bullying. But we are using force to harm them.

*I'm not saying many actually care or want to trade w/ them, but I'm talking in principle.

porkchop sandwiches

Potato del Grande
Sanctions seem more like, if you want to develop nukes and test your rockets, that is fine, but we are no longer going to give you aid, buy anything from you or sell anything to you. I just don't see how that is bullying.
It's not. It's just another thing that people want to shit on the U.S. for.

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
The world is like an internet message board. You want only people that are rational and give a fuck to be able to push the button or pull the plug. Or else shit will hit the fan sooner or later.

Charles_sl

shitlord
Wow some of you people are such fucking carebears. Retarded carebears at that. Defending North Korean? Are you serious?

Most people don't want North Korea to have missiles and nuclear weapons because they are a dangerous state and those weapons can be used to hurt us! It isn't just Americans who feel this way, it's people in the region and even people across the globe (our European friends for sure, likely more). You idiots do realize that American troops are ready to defend themselves and South Koreans against North Korean aggression at this very moment, right? They are a threat to the entire world, even more importantly they are a threat to my country and our allies.

And we aren't the reason that the North Korean economy is dogshit. They had the Soviets, they have China, they have Russia, etc. To trade with. You do realize that most trade happens among neighboring countries, right? Our biggest trading partners aside from the obvious China are Canada and Mexico. Yes Mexico. I'm not saying that our sanctions don't hurt their economy, that's the whole fucking point. But we aren't the reason that their economy is terrible and their people are poor. The reason that North Koreans are doing so bad is because they are being controlled by dictators with terrible ideas and terrible policies.

JVIRUS

Golden Knight of the Realm
Assuming what I've learned about NK is true, the place is so freaky, I think the videos of people crying when fearless leader died are one of the scariest things I've ever seen

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
North Korea is a weird place. It's where facts and information go to die, only to be reborn as the glorious, immortal heritage of the kingdom of North Korea. I mean that is where heaven first touched earth and gave birth to the first humans who arose out of a giant cabbage... or was that some shitty kids cartoon from the 80's... anyways nothing that is said in that country even remotely reflects what is going on. Everything is so censored and sanitized that I bet this latest failure with the satellite was blamed on the lazy and ignorant west who could not dare to see North Korea succeed and so launched an illegal space missile to destroy it.

Anyways, if North Korea ever does mash their clumsy space program together with their slap dash nuclear program... it's going to be a bad day for somebody. Who that is is anyone's guess though. A North Korean launch is essentially going to turn half of the world into a giant game of "press your luck". "no whammies, no whammies, no whammies, STOP." Crap looks like Mongolia is gettin it this time.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Anyways, if North Korea ever does mash their clumsy space program together with their slap dash nuclear program... it's going to be a bad day for somebody. Who that is is anyone's guess though. A North Korean launch is essentially going to turn half of the world into a giant game of "press your luck". "no whammies, no whammies, no whammies, STOP." Crap looks like Mongolia is gettin it this time.
Good thing we went for a limited missile defense despite Democratic opposition.

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
I do kind of find it funny that we get all up in arms when NK launches a satellite. Yea it's a "cover for developing weapons tech" etc etc, but what gives us, or any other country, the right to say "we'll do whatever we want, but you better not do the same."
Might.

xzi

Mouthbreather
Felt like this was the best place to post this as any. The Vice Guide to North Korea:Good watch, and fun to get a view on how ridiculous North Korea actually is.

I know quite a few FOH'ers have seen it, but there has been a newer vice guide aboutNorth Korean labor camps in the middle of Russia. Apparently the country has been on a steady decline and to help this, they send away a ton of people to slave away cutting down trees, where some of them even think they're still IN North Korea.

It's pretty wild. Takes a few to get to the point, but it's a fun watch too. Here's the first embedded video and the next few parts after it so you don't have to search:

Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Kim Jong Un wins the Times person of the year poll thanks to 4chan

http://www.seattlepi.com/news/articl...ed-4115836.php

awww yeaaa
""While we don't make our selection based on the poll results," said TIME executive editor Radhika Jones in a recent interview, "it's always interesting to see where some of our preferred candidates end up."

Read more: http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/12/13/and-the-winner-of-times-person-of-the-year-reader-poll-is/#ixzz2FEGll6iy"

Cheap Cigar_sl

shitlord
Japan and the US say they did not attempt to shoot down the missile, but I wonder. Did they try and fail? I'm sure if they did they would not advertise that fact. Or was it deemed too provocational. I'm interested in hearing that story since Japan has always made such threats before these launches before.
From Foreign Policy
The Obama administration's Asia team was caught so off guard by North Korea's Dec. 11 rocket launch, several of them actually had to put down their drinks and suddenly leave a holiday party being held in honor of the Japanese emperor's birthday.
"Everybody stood down. Nobody thought they were going to do it this week. It was a real head fake by the North Koreans," another top Asia expert and party attendee said. "DOD, State, and the White House were just stunned by it. They were shocked."

There were varying explanations as to why the Obama administration was caught off guard. North Korea said Dec. 10 said that "technical issues" were forcing it to push back the launch window. Previously, North Korea had said the launch would come by Dec. 22, and the new window was supposed to end Dec. 29. News reports Dec. 9 and 10 also said the missile was being removed from the launch pad. Those reports turned out to be wrong.
http://thecable.foreignpolicy.com/po...ocket_launched

interesting site although it also got it wrong
http://38north.org/

EmiliaEQ_sl

shitlord
Right it's another milestone for them and they have all of the time in the world to continue working on their program to develop missiles that can do whatever they want them to do, including hit innocent and unjustifiable targets.
China needs to do something about it. How they can just sit around and let their North Korean buddies cause drama across the globe is beyond me. It's time for them to step up and use their influence.
What right do countries X Y Z have to decide that "you are not allowed to have nukes" ? Unsurprisingly X Y Z are the ones that already have nukes... Do they wish to install a Monopoly on nukes ?
I'm against Nukes, specially since all it takes is 1 mad man to start a global holocaust and destroy an area for hundreds of thousands of years, but the "you cant have the same shiny toys as i do" seems kinda hypocritical.

Still China will not stop supporting NK, and NK will just keep doing what it wants however now that they have nukes, they know if they "fuck up" the entire planet will come down on them.
So....

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
From Foreign Policy
The Obama administration's Asia team was caught so off guard by North Korea's Dec. 11 rocket launch, several of them actually had to put down their drinks and suddenly leave a holiday party being held in honor of the Japanese emperor's birthday.
"Everybody stood down. Nobody thought they were going to do it this week. It was a real head fake by the North Koreans," another top Asia expert and party attendee said. "DOD, State, and the White House were just stunned by it. They were shocked."

There were varying explanations as to why the Obama administration was caught off guard. North Korea said Dec. 10 said that "technical issues" were forcing it to push back the launch window. Previously, North Korea had said the launch would come by Dec. 22, and the new window was supposed to end Dec. 29. News reports Dec. 9 and 10 also said the missile was being removed from the launch pad. Those reports turned out to be wrong.
http://thecable.foreignpolicy.com/po...ocket_launched

interesting site although it also got it wrong
http://38north.org/
I imagine that whatever personnel responsible for anti-missile countermeasures were ready even if the brass and politicians weren't.

Illuziun

Bronze Knight of the Realm
4.9 EQ at .6 miles deep, definitely man made and that means it was nuclear. Probably around 10kt is my guess.

They might be getting a hello from one of these sooner than later if they keep the shit up.