NVidia GeForce RTX 30x0 cards

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Why? They said 6800xt was supposed to be on par with 3080 and it is (other than ray tracing bullshit). This is a move down to 5nm from 7nm so it should be huge, basically from the article, doubling the shaders and Cus.

I hope they do kick Nvidias ass. The prices on both will reflect that. Competition is a good thing.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
king 3090 selling for $2100, ebay prices already over $4k lol. has a built in monitoring OLED display

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Why? They said 6800xt was supposed to be on par with 3080 and it is (other than ray tracing bullshit).
Dude you literally just posted a video with Linus talking about how impressive Ray Tracing tech actually is, and how it's most definitely going to be the future choice for devs even if it isn't immediate obvious to consumers. RT isn't bullshit.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BigDirty

Security Director of Crisis and Weather Management
<Bronze Donator>
It’s in a lot of industries now. We can’t find anyone, when we do get someone they’re fairly useless or under qualified and we have to take them anyways. My neighbor has 40 spots open he can’t fill. Five staffing agencies are looking for him and nothing. A coworker is friends with a guy who owns multiple staffing agencies, has 500 open slots he can’t fill. People are just milking unemployment and stimmies and they’re happy to tell you so.
They might have to pay more for employees , I don't get why companies with crappy jobs for crappy wages wonder why no one wants to work for them

• 1Truth!
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
king 3090 selling for $2100, ebay prices already over $4k lol. has a built in monitoring OLED display

there doesn't seem to be a way to actually buy the card, the button you would hit to have them email you is missing

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Dude you literally just posted a video with Linus talking about how impressive Ray Tracing tech actually is, and how it's most definitely going to be the future choice for devs even if it isn't immediate obvious to consumers. RT isn't bullshit.
Huh? What video?

Fucker

Log Wizard
They might have to pay more for employees , I don't get why companies with crappy jobs for crappy wages wonder why no one wants to work for them
Too many people bagging easy UE benefits instead of working. I know more than a few people who can't find people to work.

Then these lazy assholes will turn around and whine when their UE benefits dry up and they find those jobs have moved overseas.

spronk

FPS noob
there doesn't seem to be a way to actually buy the card, the button you would hit to have them email you is missing

you have to be evga elite to get in the preorder wait list for the king, it'll open up to all plebs after 24 hours. expect months long queue wait times for the privilege of paying MSRP lol

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
you have to be evga elite to get in the preorder wait list for the king, it'll open up to all plebs after 24 hours. expect months long queue wait times for the privilege of paying MSRP lol

I joined evga elite, still don't see a button to alert me, other products all have the button

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
how it's most definitely going to be the future choice for devs
The elephant in the room here are the consoles: The tech leaders (Sony and Microsoft) are in the AMD camp, the latest generation just released, and most AAA titles have to either support consoles, or are primarily targeted at console players.

This isn't to say that RT tech in itself is a hindsight, it is just that AMD's tech is probably the first/generic implementation. What Nvidia has done for years after losing the console war, is to literally throw money and their own developers at the studios. This is why you get "optimized for newest AAA title" drivers at launch. The drivers are a 600 MB download because of all the bloat and special code paths for all those AAA games, so they can claim "the way it's meant to be played."

AMD on the other hand moved some CPU engineers to the GPU division to share their secret chiplet sauce. If AMD can get 20% performance from optimizing their GPU cores, 20% from the 5nm shrink and 75% from moving to chiplets (plus IO die) and flat out doubling cores, all while reducing production costs because of less defects (smaller die = less chance of a manufacturing error), they may have a winner.

And that is probably where the 2.5 times performance comes from. 1.2 * 1.2 * 1.75 = 2.52.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
performance per dollar is getting worse by the day as prices go to the moon, no way do I believe they are going to release a next gen with 3x performance over current gen at similar price points to current gen. Sure we might see something 3x as powerful as a 6900xt but it will cost 3x as much too, so not really what most people have in mind when they hear the next gen is bringing huge performance increases.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
performance per dollar is getting worse by the day as prices go to the moon
That's really only true in the midrange cards. The 3080 FE @ MSRP is an insane value in terms of performance per dollar vs the previous generation. The partner cards were a much better value before the tariffs hit the prices.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Ah fuck, nm, I think it was spronk. My bad.
Well anyway however great it might be, its all up to the consoles that detirmine the future 5-8 yrs of games and how they roll, which both PS5 and new Xbone both use AMD tech, so im assuming the majority of games coming out in the future will not have any RT or very little of. Maybe some PC titles will, but whatevs.

Oh shit Neranja Neranja already covered this...

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
That's really only true in the midrange cards. The 3080 FE @ MSRP is an insane value in terms of performance per dollar vs the previous generation. The partner cards were a much better value before the tariffs hit the prices.
Even the 3070 is like as powerful as last gens 2080ti for less than 1/2 price. Probabaly more like 1/3. Only talking MSRP though, you add the shortage plus bots times dunchebaggery you get about the same price, lol.