NVidia GeForce RTX 30x0 cards

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Don't the xbox and playstation both support ray tracing now? I mean they might perform like shit atm but consoles always get better at performance tweaking as the years go on.

spronk

FPS noob
i posted the video a page or two ago but basically the gist is yes, RTX will be awesome for new games but really the game has to be designed from the ground up to support RTX because you have to rethink the way you do lighting and modeling from the very start to make RTX look good, if you just try to retrofit RTX into a game chances are high it'll look better with the fake light ray guesses devs make when tweaking scenes. So really only games that started in the last year or two (and won't come out for a while) will really look great with RTX.

Some times you can totally see the difference, but it basically boils down to "there is a giant pool of water and you are seeing reflections on the water of buildings and stuff above it, and it looks real with RTX and totally fake without it". Do you really give a shit about that in a game though?

Its a bit tricky because for the forseeable future no game can just assume RTX enabled, so it still has to look decent without RTX which means devs have to invest tons of time to make everything look "real" with fake light rays bouncing off everything, and most of the time you will not really notice a huge diff. Once we are a point where devs can always assume RTX is available, we'll probably see neat stuff but how many years away is that? HDR has gone through a similar thing and only in the last few years have we seen games developed with HDR in mind from the start, whereas when we see things like RDR2 where HDR was essentially added at the end, its not impressive at all.

Here's an example from Cyberpunk, its really obvious the top one has crappier reflections while the bottom uses RTX to auto create all that stuff. Its awesome. But... is it important?

ti2bQ09.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Also you have to ask yourself is it worth the performance hit. Sure it looks great and more immersive sure, but IMO not necessary. Shit like above scene you just run by and prolly never notice. I know when Cyberpunk released I was watching some streamers, and yeah of course its not optimized game and it got shit frames regardless, but even dudes with 3090s were turning that shit off because of a massive frame hit.

Im sure this will be included in many games that are way more optimized and get better over the years, but this is not some make or break tech here. It just adds a bit more immersion to a scene.

Depending on game, I would rather have frames rather than a more immersive scene, but thats just me.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I played Control for a bit just to check RTX out and it was definitely awesome. There wasn’t much of a performance hit that I remember, I kept it on. I’m on a 3070.

• 2Like

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
I played Control for a bit just to check RTX out and it was definitely awesome. There wasn’t much of a performance hit that I remember, I kept it on. I’m on a 3070.
Because their upscaling tech was also turned on simultaneously. You weren't having the engine render at your native resolution anymore.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
With RTX being baked into the game creation tools now(unreal engine being the big one) it's not going anywhere anytime soon and will only get more prevalent overtime

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
You paid like 870 dollars for a 6700 XT?
As opposed to what? Waiting another 4 years for supply chains to unfuck themselves? Or paying basically the same for a 3070?

Worth it just to do my small part fucking nVidia.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
We need to beat China to the punch and invade Taiwan and force everyone into chip production.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
All things considering. That really isn't bad. And fuck it...you have your new card!
It's pay $930 now or pay $1200 later. I ended up with a 5900x, 32gb/ram, and now a 6700XT for around $2400ish. It's not going to get any cheaper is the thing and I really wanted to stay away from Nvidia because I'm sick of their bullshit and want AMD to finally give them competition.

EDIT: Just totaled it out and my total build, including case, fans, MB, RAM, AIO, etc. was $2,486.18. As much of a PITA as it was dealing with my first MB choice being a shitshow and having to RMA my processor, I probably saved around $1000 over the same system as a prebuilt.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
With RTX being baked into the game creation tools now(unreal engine being the big one) it's not going anywhere anytime soon and will only get more prevalent overtime
Another important note is that Unreal / NVIDIA are increasingly getting into the real-time photorealistic rendering space for non-game applications. I don't know if this vid is with RTX on or off but it, or similar tech, is enough for NVIDIA / Epic Games to continue to invest into it until it becomes more tenable for mainstream consumer gaming.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
RT is shit atm, the fps hit is just to prevalent and tho the 30series increased overall fps in games the RT hit afaik is equal to what it was previously you just have better overall fps due to having better generational leap in tech. Until RT is like a 5% hit it wont be worth a shit to me - i still never bother to turn the shit on and i dont feel like im missing shit not using it.

Im sure some people rant and rave over it but i dont even give it a consideration - maybe in a few more years when it IS baked into anything, but for current gen cards the shit doesnt matter bc i doubt ill even have the same card a year from now.