NVidia GeForce RTX 30x0 cards

Oldbased

> Than U
I haven't checked in a month or two but that 2060 super I bought for $410 in December '19 was being sold for $1000 a few months back now.
It's crazy. I thought I was nuts building a 3k system back then with monitors but now I am glad I did.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I was lucky and had a frame rate cap in nvidia control panel which saved me. It still made my 3090 got fucking full retard with power but didn't brick it. Had to do a hard reset.
It's only a specific card model (EVGA 3090 FTW3) that gets completely bricked. Given the reassurances by Amazon Studios that they never had a bug, I assume they don't have that specific card.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
It's only a specific card model (EVGA 3090 FTW3) that gets completely bricked. Given the reassurances by Amazon Studios that they never had a bug, I assume they don't have that specific card.
Are there any theories on wth game code could do to smoke a specific card by a specific manufacturer? Seems weird as fuck to me it’s so specific.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Could link back to the POSCAP / MLCC configuration, could be lack of a safety limiter in the firmware, or more evidence that the cards are playing too close to the temperature edge by design and we'll be seeing this happen to specific models each generation.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Are there any theories on wth game code could do to smoke a specific card by a specific manufacturer? Seems weird as fuck to me it’s so specific.
Nvidia apparently even tweaked their drivers to avoid overheating to destruction that specific model. Bet is that they overlooked an edge case which the NW programmer "managed" to stumble upon.

Obsidian

<Bronze Donator>

From what I read, it seems like the evga cards are the overclockers favorite cards because they have the most aggressive power limits, and in this particular case that bit them in the ass. The game seems to basically turn every card up to 100% for no particular reason, and in the evga card's case, that causes it to draw more power than the vrms can handle as a result

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Janx

<Silver Donator>
JayZ2c had a vid where it looked like other cards were impacted according to forum posts but due to the large number of EVGA cards out in the wild its the one with the most reports.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Have not watched any videos and it, but LTT tech linked said it was due to something from unlimited frame cap and the card essentially drawing too much power? Something like that

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Heard the same thing as Slippery that the game's fps is uncapped (even in the menu), consequently it's running at 9k fps as soon as you open it.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah uncapped framerates are ass, I always cap it asap but hate when it does so in the menu right away.

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Some autism for you
Yep.

There's a lot of safeguards in place to protect hardware. If consumer GPUs are blowing up that's a failure in hardware manufacturing and/or design, and NOT the fault of any specific game.

Since this seems to be limited to EVGA FTW RTX 3090's, then maybe it's an EVGA problem.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Yep.

There's a lot of safeguards in place to protect hardware. If consumer GPUs are blowing up that's a failure in hardware manufacturing and/or design, and NOT the fault of any specific game.

Since this seems to be limited to EVGA FTW RTX 3090's, then maybe it's an EVGA problem.

pumping out 6k frames in the game menu system seems a little like the games fault

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
pumping out 6k frames in the game menu system seems a little like the games fault
Sure, but if your hardware is delivering that and then explodes, that's ultimately on the hardware because it couldn't run at its stated limit.