NVidia GeForce RTX 30x0 cards

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I guess it's possible. Using your suggestion about vram overheating, I searched for Black Desert causing those sorts of issues and apparently it's a thing, and has been for a while. The game has been causing cards to overheat for years. I guess the question at this point is, if that's what happened, is the card screwed?
The card should boot fine after fully discharging, but it won't?

Could be something smoked in there.

Definitely RMA time if it won't start back up.

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, card isnt coming alive at all. Ive swapped PCI slots, Ive swapped around psu cables, Ive tried one monitor at a time in various slots and nada, all after giving the card hours to cool down outside the case.

My buddy at work wants to take a look at it tomorrow, he's wanting to try to undo the bios and Vbios update I did to enable the resizable bar, he wants to essentially reset the machine to what it was before I did the bar changes. Im either coming home with a working computer or the card is heading back to EVGA.

Molten Core Raider
Have you tried Win + Ctrl + Shift + B? That resets the graphics driver in Windows 10.
I did not know that, but it is a moot point, the card is apparently dead. Whether there was a hardware failure or BDO killed it somehow I dunno. I used my 770 as my primary card and had the 3090 in the other pci slot and the hardware monitor didnt even recognize the 3090 as being there, it showed the slot empty even though the fans were turning. Im waiting for EVGA to greenlight the RMA. Hopefully they can get it sorted out soonish.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
I did not know that, but it is a moot point, the card is apparently dead.
If you still heard the game that would mean the render thread still ran, so it could be something with the TMDS signalling on the output ports or something like that. Normally the render thread would die or freeze if the GPU itself had a problem, and everything audio is sync'ed to the render thread in most games.

Nvidia drivers have a binary blob they load onto the card itself that runs the "firmware". The flashed BIOS on the card is only for boot up, VGA/VESA compatability and PCIe detection. If the GPU itself and/or the memory was really b0rked, then the game would crash early and Windows would have tried to restart the graphics driver on its own.

Also: not all PCIe ports are built the same, on some chipsets you have to enable secondary PCIe ports if you want to run GPUs there.

Molten Core Raider
I did continue to hear the game after the monitors went black. I can tinker around in the bios tonight on the motherboard and make sure that other PCIe is active and plug the card in again. Other than that, Im not entirely sure what else I can try.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I did not know that, but it is a moot point, the card is apparently dead. Whether there was a hardware failure or BDO killed it somehow I dunno. I used my 770 as my primary card and had the 3090 in the other pci slot and the hardware monitor didnt even recognize the 3090 as being there, it showed the slot empty even though the fans were turning. Im waiting for EVGA to greenlight the RMA. Hopefully they can get it sorted out soonish.
I sold my MSI 3070 on Ebay (in perfect working order) - guy who bought it opened a case saying it was defective blah blah blah, Ebay sides with him and when it showed back up sure enough it was fubared. Fans would spin, RGB lit up but no video signal. I could even hear sound but no video no matter how many different cables I tried.

Sent to MSI as an RMA about 2 weeks ago and showed back up yesterday completely fixed and in good working order. Hopefully EVGA is just as quick and easy for you to deal with.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Melicant

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I sold my MSI 3070 on Ebay (in perfect working order) - guy who bought it opened a case saying it was defective blah blah blah, Ebay sides with him and when it showed back up sure enough it was fubared. Fans would spin, RGB lit up but no video signal. I could even hear sound but no video no matter how many different cables I tried.

Sent to MSI as an RMA about 2 weeks ago and showed back up yesterday completely fixed and in good working order. Hopefully EVGA is just as quick and easy for you to deal with.
Lucky... My RMA with MSI was a disaster. I sent it in January and it took like 7 weeks and the replacement they sent was DOA. They were supposed to expedite the second one, but that also took a month.

• 1Solidarity

Molten Core Raider

EVGA has traditionally had some of the best support of any card maker Ive dealt with. Im pretty sure Ill be in good hands, just gotta wait for their response before I can get the ball rolling. Lotta hoops to jump through with such an expensive card though. Register the card, upload a copy of the invoice from where I purchased it, etc

• 1Like

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
one in white. Nice case. REALLY tight fit
Zdf Im Horny GIF by funk

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
You guys make fun of me but it's a single-zone house and the only thermostat is on the other side of the house, it's not an easy issue to resolve. I bought an expensive large very quiet fan but it still has to be placed in a very awkward position to send the air out and down the hallway.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
You guys make fun of me but it's a single-zone house and the only thermostat is on the other side of the house, it's not an easy issue to resolve. I bought an expensive large very quiet fan but it still has to be placed in a very awkward position to send the air out and down the hallway.
So maybe its time to leave the fucking mommas house and set out on your own, little flower. You make the bank now, with nothing to spend it on except new monitors, so buy a place thats better. PCs should not fit the house, but the house should fit the PCs.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
So maybe its time to leave the fucking mommas house and set out on your own, little flower. You make the bank now, so buy a place thats better. PCs should not fit the house, but the house should fit the PCs.
I've looked for houses but they disappear from Zillow in a day unless they're total pieces of shit. The plot of land is too nice to give up. It's in a rural community with extremely low taxes, but also 5 miles from the beach. Basically my taxes get fully subsidized by Taylor Swift's neighbors.

I'm building a 2-story house with a garage next to it, long-ways to make an L, an adjoining breezeway with a shared laundry room and a giant patio. Then I can rent this to some grad students or something.

The only hold up is redoing the septic system, but I already have an architect, and the septic design is in the works.

• 1Like

Fucker

Log Wizard
I'm building a 2-story house with a garage next to it, long-ways to make an L, an adjoining breezeway with a shared laundry room and a giant patio. Then I can rent this to some grad students or something.

The only hold up is redoing the septic system, but I already have an architect, and the septic design is in the works.
erwgf.gif

• 1Worf

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I've looked for houses but they disappear from Zillow in a day unless they're total pieces of shit. The plot of land is too nice to give up. It's in a rural community with extremely low taxes, but also 5 miles from the beach. Basically my taxes get fully subsidized by Taylor Swift's neighbors.

2 story? Aren’t stairs to fat lesbians like garlic is to vampires? Or will it have an elevator?